• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Artist Portraits in Comics - Does Brave & the Bold 93 include a Neal Adams self portrait?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

Post examples of artists adding in a 'portrait' of themselves or someone else into a comic as a character.

I think Neal Adams based the appearance of a character, Aloysius Calbot, the villain in The Brave & the Bold Vol 1 93, on himself.

I actually tried reaching out to Neal to confirm this a few years ago by messaging the Facebook page where he did live art presentations. I think his son is the admin on it. Anyway I didn't get a reply and now I never will. :( Maybe one of you gurus can confirm it for me.

Maybe I'm silly but see the images below and judge for yourself. Post examples of where artists have based characters in comics on themselves or others.

See the top right panel below, a drawing of "Aloysius Calbot" the villain of BB93. (I don't want to spoil it for anyone, so let's just say it's his one & only appearance :nyah:)

1802927738_BB93AloysiusCalbot.thumb.jpg.36aa79e5a680006abb062a8386b601df.jpg

In the same issue there is an article about DC artists who have won awards at a convention. Neal Adams won 2 awards and a drawing of him is provided. Unfortunately I couldn't get this website to display this image file the right way up. Anyway see the sketch near the top right. To me the two men drawn are almost identical.

1497375729_BB93NeilAdams.thumb.jpg.fb5bcfaf1cb5336ffa3da0e587b7d8e2.jpg

Here's the cover of the comic in question. I'm sure there will be people who disagree and say it's just a common look of the times or something xD

1844405082_BB93Cover.thumb.jpg.80680c1db2784f2ea0930728126513bd.jpg

Edited by MattrixAlien
Added tags

On 6/23/2022 at 10:38 AM, THE_BEYONDER said:

hm

EB371D4D-9963-48FE-AC45-0FA995CD4679.jpeg.e1138a815469bf33729b6e3cd5f655ca.jpeg

736E3C5E-0E29-41F7-801F-CB08937459D7.jpeg.fac558ddc0a7728f8dfb1e8f727b7dd2.jpeg

Thanks Beyonder, that makes it easy for people to compare. Am I seeing double or what? I seriously think Neal slipped it in there. If I was an artist I'd probably draw a one & done character which looks like myself too xD Does anyone have other examples of this? 

Edited by MattrixAlien

Starlin used to draw himself and his friends into his comics.  One episode, he and two Marvel guys tried to mug Shang Chi.  He might deny it, but I'm almost positive he based Dreadstar on what he looks like in his minds eye.

I don't think so, but it's an interesting one. 

Mark Evanier notes in his 1/19/17 article (which in turn was a re-run of one from 2/14/02) that more than a strong resemblance to a young Jack Kirby can be seen in the floating head drawing of Mr. Fantastic on the cover of FF #7.  As this was a cover that Kirby himself inked and as Mr. Evanier knows a thing or two about Jack Kirby, I can believe it. https://www.newsfromme.com/2017/01/19/fantastic-find-2/

Jack.JPG

I remember when I was little, and had borrowed early Fantastic Four Marvel Masterworks from the library. Early issues in particular enjoy showing scenes of huge lines of people queueing up to get the latest FF issue. I'd excitedly call my mother over, and tell her "look Mum, look how popular the Fantastic Four were back then! People lined up in the streets to get them! Do you remember those days?" 

I was a dumb kid. 

On 6/23/2022 at 11:33 AM, Senormac said:

Does not look like him to me at all  :popcorn:

50+ years ago when Neal Adams did BB93 he looked a little different to the chubby cheeked fellow we're familiar with from the last few decades :nyah: As others have pointed out he drew other real life people into his comics too. I couldn't find a good photo of him with a goatee from that period unfortunately 

535796053_YoungNealAdams.jpg.4f7be28e6b64c71011d76c51575ba33e.jpg

On 6/24/2022 at 3:49 PM, Jackson13 said:

I disliked living in VT the four years I was there. Unfriendly natives, obviously very cold, and a mess in other ways. Since they don't like political stuff on these boards, I'll leave it at that.