• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up a small collection...
1 1

34 posts in this topic

I realize this won't be the most interesting or impressive thread, in light of the amazing material posted on this site.  Still, a recent pickup arrived today and I felt like starting to write my thoughts.  It's a small collection of 38 comic books, primarily Bronze Age.  They're all raw and I plan to read them.  As I finish each book, I'll post a picture or two and any interesting info.  Since I'm doing this one book at a time, It'll take a little time.  I'm in no rush, though; I got these to enjoy at a liesurely pace.

Hopefully, a few of you will also enjoy this little journey.

You have my attention. The thread about comics with holes punched in them has very quickly run to 3 pages and is chock full of great comments and observations, so don't undersell your new finds! Looking forward to your future reads. Don't suppose you want to add a spoiler, by naming some of the upcoming comics from your new collection? 

On 6/25/2022 at 3:10 PM, LowGradeBronze said:

You have my attention. The thread about comics with holes punched in them has very quickly run to 3 pages and is chock full of great comments and observations, so don't undersell your new finds! Looking forward to your future reads. Don't suppose you want to add a spoiler, by naming some of the upcoming comics from your new collection? 

I'll do better than a spoiler.  I just finished reading the second book and will post a couple pics...

The second book was this Spider-Woman # 2.  Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) makes her way through London and tangles with a villain named Excaliber.  At the end, she finds herself with an unexpected ally who plans to accompany Spider-Woman as she makes her way to America.  Unbeknownst to Jessica, a different man is about to take a leave of absence from SHIELD, book a flight to the US, and follow Spider-Woman.

Spider-Woman 2 a.jpg

I've been a sports card collector for ages, so this back cover was great to see. Despite being a lifelong Phillies fan, I can appreciate the immensely talented Johnny Bench.  In my opinion, he was the greatest catcher ever to play in the National or American Leagues.

Spider-Woman 2 b.jpg

Edited by Eric Perry

On 6/26/2022 at 7:10 PM, Eric Perry said:

I can appreciate the immensely talented Johnny Bench.  In my opinion, he was the greatest catcher ever to play in the National or American Leagues.

FTFY . . .  Yogi and Thurman.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:43 AM, divad said:

LOL - it was my opinion; no fixing needed.

Munson was taken too soon.  There's no telling how his career would have ended up had cruel fate not stepped in.

As for Berra; he was top-notch, both as a man and as a player.  I think he was a bit underrated, if such a thing is possible.  Casey knew - he put Berra on his all-time team...and left Mantle off that list.

On 6/27/2022 at 2:01 PM, Eric Perry said:

Munson was taken too soon.  There's no telling how his career would have ended up had cruel fate not stepped in.

As for Berra; he was top-notch, both as a man and as a player.  I think he was a bit underrated, if such a thing is possible.  Casey knew - he put Berra on his all-time team...and left Mantle off that list.

Very tragic end for Thurman Munson. He was a very big part of that team’s success up until that point. But in real baseball terms, Munson was in fact winding down. His last year(partial) was quite pedestrian.

He was similar to most catchers of that golden age, pre-steroid era (Though some of his contemporaries clearly were using - see Fred Lynn and Brian Downing). Munson was breaking down , so projecting HoF numbers beyond what we saw is unrealistic. What we saw was the best of him.

On 6/27/2022 at 4:01 PM, Eric Perry said:

Out of curiosity, who was on his team? I'm trying to figure out who the 3 outfielders better than Mantle would be. I assume DiMaggio is one.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:41 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Is this the one you mean?  Mantle's on there.

stengel team.jpg

Cool piece.  I had never seen that before.

My comment regarding Berra being on the team, and not Mantle, was a quote from Ken Burns Baseball.  It's quite possible the speaker (Robert Creamer, a writer from Sports Illustrated, I believe) was talking about Casey's starting 9.

On 6/27/2022 at 7:01 PM, Eric Perry said:

Cool piece.  I had never seen that before.

My comment regarding Berra being on the team, and not Mantle, was a quote from Ken Burns Baseball.  It's quite possible the speaker (Robert Creamer, a writer from Sports Illustrated, I believe) was talking about Casey's starting 9.

Yeah, I don't know who made the choices for that flyer (which was handed out at Yankee Stadium on the date noted).  It's also not impossible Stengel would have given different answers at different times during his life.

On 6/27/2022 at 9:05 PM, Dr Zen said:

Out of curiosity, who was on his team? I'm trying to figure out who the 3 outfielders better than Mantle would be. I assume DiMaggio is one.

It was a quote from Ken Burns' Baseball, spoken by Robert Creamer.  The full team was not mentioned.

I agree regarding DiMaggio, by the way.

On 6/27/2022 at 6:41 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Is this the one you mean?  Mantle's on there.

stengel team.jpg

Too hard too really see, but is Ruth missing? Casey must have started to lose it if he left Ruth off the “All Time” team

On 6/27/2022 at 2:01 PM, Eric Perry said:
On 6/26/2022 at 10:43 PM, divad said:

Well, do you remember the yarn when Casey was drafting for the expansion Mets? When asked why he picked a catcher (first) in the expansion draft, he responded, "Well somebody's got to stop the ball, right?":roflmao: Casey loved his catchers!

Edited by divad

On 6/27/2022 at 7:53 PM, Readcomix said:

I think the pizzazz inserts are less common than Mark Jewelers. Cooler too IMO as it’s a Marvel mag ad.

Debatable, as to less common (but only because they appeared in every copy of every issue they appeared in.) But also, they are not hard stock full page centerfolds like most of the Mark Jewelers (if my memory serves me well) hm  

On 6/28/2022 at 4:26 AM, divad said:

Debatable, as to less common (but only because they appeared in every copy of every issue they appeared in.) But also, they are not hard stock full page centerfolds like most of the Mark Jewelers (if my memory serves me well) hm  

Agreed; just my anecdotal perception….which I think relates to your paper stock point. They were definitely flimsier. And while they were in all copies I think they were in fewer different books. One month only, or maybe a couple? Didn’t Mark ads run over a longer period of time? Inserts are a fascinating little niche!