• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Picked up a small collection...
1 1

34 posts in this topic

On 6/28/2022 at 2:42 AM, NP_Gresham said:

Too hard too really see, but is Ruth missing? Casey must have started to lose it if he left Ruth off the “All Time” team

It looks to have only players from the 1940s onward, and so is probably Casey's all-timer Yankees that he managed.  From what I can see, Gehrig and Bill Dickey are also not on there.

Edited by namisgr

On 6/27/2022 at 11:42 PM, NP_Gresham said:

Too hard too really see, but is Ruth missing? Casey must have started to lose it if he left Ruth off the “All Time” team

It's possible this was "just" players he'd personally coached - The Babe would have to be on any all-time Yankees squad.

The next book in the collection is Sub-Mariner # 29.  It appears to be the oldest comic in the lot.

The text seemed ever-so-slightly larger, which made reading it easier on the eyes.  Some of the dialogue had an Old English flavor, though, so it took a little more thought to read.  (Let's be honest, phrases such as "hie me to thy side" and "doth return apace" aren't commonly spoken these days.)

The story featured Hercules, The Huntsman, a trio of "monsters from some madman's nightmare" thrown in for good measure...and Zeus.  The actors in this play made the battle scenes truly memorable for everyone.  Everyone, that is, except Namor.

All in all, it was an entertaining read.  I believe it's the first Sub-Mariner comic I've ever read.  Up to this point, I had typically been into "street level" superheroes, especially Daredevil.  I feel my horizons expanding...

SubMariner 29.jpg

On 6/28/2022 at 8:39 PM, Eric Perry said:

One of the ads in Sub-Mariner 29 caught my eye.  I imagine many of us would love to go back in time and pick up Bronze Age comics off the spinner racks.  I wouldn't mind picking up sealed copies of The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin albums, either.  :headbang:

SubMariner 29 a.jpg

I think I joined that club 30 times when I was a teenager . . . :roflmao:

On 6/28/2022 at 9:55 PM, divad said:

I think I joined that club 30 times when I was a teenager . . . :roflmao:

It took me a few times to figure out the max benefits, but once you got into the cycle it was incredible.

Get 12 cds free, buy 4-6 overpriced cds and quit. Wait a few months until the offers get stupid. Rejoin and get 12 more free and immediatley buy three overpriced ones and quit again. Rinse and repeat.  I joined the startup MTV music club that offered two for one purchases for life.  When Colombis took over, they honored the agreement.   Many of my friends joined and tried to screw the clubs, but the better play was to become a valued ex-member they would do anything to get back.

On 6/28/2022 at 11:39 PM, Eric Perry said:

One of the ads in Sub-Mariner 29 caught my eye.  I imagine many of us would love to go back in time and pick up Bronze Age comics off the spinner racks.  I wouldn't mind picking up sealed copies of The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin albums, either.  :headbang:

SubMariner 29 a.jpg

Nothing like vinyl!

On 7/2/2022 at 9:05 PM, Eric Perry said:

While I'm a fan of the cover art, my favorite part of this comic was Ms. Marvel hitting The Destructor with a motorcycle.  When I saw these two panels, I instantly thought of that scene from Scrooged when Bill Murray said, "...the b**ch hit me with a toaster..."

:grin:

Ms Marvel 2 b.jpg

The add on of the art almost or to me, makes it look like the wheels are still level with the ground. Like evil kenivel stunt cycle. I'd have loved that toy during that era. Those strip wind up really kept the force well to have cycles upright for Ramps. Side bar, but what I thought of, and I have a fondness. :x

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/2/2022 at 10:31 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

The add on of the art almost or to me, makes it look like the wheels are still level with the ground. Like evil kenivel stunt cycle. I'd have loved that toy during that era. Those strip wind up really kept the force well to have cycles upright for Ramps. Side bar, but what I thought of, and I have a fondness. :x

Perhaps not coincidentally, here is the back cover.

Ms Marvel 2 c.jpg

After a little while tending to other things, I finally had the chance to get back into this collection.  My next book was Special Marvel Edition 5.

From brawling to battling, Sgt. Fury and the Howling Commandos took quite the path from cover to cover in this one.  There was even a scene which heavily implied they gunned down a Nazi spy who had joined their group.  To make things more palatable for the readers (I suppose) Marvel had the spy shoot and miss first.  I couldn't help but think of Han Solo and Greedo...when they did a retcon to the Cantina scene. 

Of course, a handful of GIs were able to take on a staggering number of enemies and make it through without losing a single member of their ranks.  Dodging bullets and shrapnel with aplomb, they made their mission seem almost easy...just another day at the office for the luckiest sons of b**ches in the E.T.O.

IMG_6259.jpg