• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Who’s to blame for Printing quality, new damaged books
1 1

12 posts in this topic

Thanks so Kings Comics gave me the down low on this cause I said refund me. I have another post with pics of damage and I just got some more books from them, same deal. So here’s their excuse why they won’t refund me. Is it the dealer or is the publisher or is it Marvel and DC etc…???

Unfortunately this type of "damage" has become all too common, mainly with Marvel titles but with some from other Publishers as well. 

Marvel are saying that due to the paper shortages they're having to use lower grade paper and outsource to other printers and quality control isn't a priority. All our copies are coming through like this for those titles, it's the printing process 
that is causing the issue as the comic passes through the binding machine after it is printed. Spine breaks, creasing and colour rub/transfer are all common issues as well. These are not faults we can claim for as Publishers feel they are acceptable.

That’s the excuse. Who done it? 

Edited by 815K1

Yea, quality sucks from many publishers and the shipping/handling from the printers is not great either obviously.  Image= great quality even cardstock for $2.99 cover prices while Marvel/Dynamite and others having total garbage materials etc.  The only way to hegde this that I have found is to order the same book from more than 1 pre-order site.  For instance, I will order 3 copies of Avengers #?? from TFAW, and 3 more more from say Dark Dominion.  Both places may send me great copies, but more often than not, 1 sites copies I get are less than average 8.5-9.2 books while the other copies I get are all 9.4-9.8.  There is no rhyme or reason to this except that some worse copies all end up in one large geographic area while another gets better copies.  Most retailers will not refund or send you better copies for minor flaws and damages unless they look thrshed from shipping to you.  They may not have better copies to ship you if they all came in less than par.  It sucks but is the reality of Modern comics right now.

Edited by gradejunky

I'm sure the printers are doing the best they can with what they have, Pressmen don't wanna send garbage out the door, they in fact wanna print high quality but it's out of their hands when the customer (Marvel) buys trash paper to work with. It leads to web breaks, bad register/color, down time ect... 

So people are buying twice as many books in order to get a good one, and the companies don't know what they are doing?

"Sure, our stories suck but if we lower the paper quality, the readers will buy more copies"

In the article, people complaining the cover is the same paper stock as the interior pages, this so the book can be printed on one roll of paper without having to insert the insides of the book into a different cover stock. Besides, if people are complaining about the cheap paper, yet they don't complain about the newsprint they used years ago   

On 7/20/2022 at 12:53 PM, Kevin76 said:

In the article, people complaining the cover is the same paper stock as the interior pages, this so the book can be printed on one roll of paper without having to insert the insides of the book into a different cover stock. Besides, if people are complaining about the cheap paper, yet they don't complain about the newsprint they used years ago   

I suspect that current-day distribution processes, with much more automation involved, are also a lot less forgiving for books with literally paper-thin cover stock.