• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Lets see your comic book upgrades
5 5

88 posts in this topic

On 6/26/2022 at 1:41 AM, silverseeker said:

This is one of the first Flash books I bought when I got back into collecting in 2000, and always thought this rendering of him was super-weird... lol

Sort of my thought also.  It's as if he's impacted his head while de-accelerating on an invisible wall. :makepoint:  Or perhaps it was a bad job of coloring.   :blush:

On 6/25/2022 at 10:43 AM, Dr. Balls said:

Wow. That is a progression! It's crazy the Fight masthead is that red - the few Fight comics I've had (all low grade beaters) have always been orange. The Magenta ink used in printing must be more susceptible to fading than the other inks. Even the purples in the bushes is more vibrant.

That could be a collecting focus on it's own - Fight comics with red mastheads.

The colors on the 3 fights are not faded. It was caused in the printing process. FH was extremely cheap. Copies with the brilliant reds and other colors were printed early in the run. The “faded” ones were later in the run when the ink fountains ran low on ink. Often varnish (cheaper) was added to finish the run.

I have often, downgraded a technical grade for a copy with a better color strike and maybe a little lower technical grade.