• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How much does it ACTUALLY cost to grade a book?
1 1

30 posts in this topic

I've never personally got a book graded so I need to know from people who's done this whole thing before. I know you gotta get the 25 dollar membership thing, but what about after that? Are there a bunch of fees or some hidden charges? I just need to know the ACTUAL number I'll be charged.

On 6/26/2022 at 9:03 PM, CGC Mike said:

Here's a link to the services and fees.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/services-fees/cgc-grading/

Ya I already saw that. For lack of a better term, I'm guess I'm just stupid cause I didn't understand what it meant lol It used terms and talked about stuff I didn't understand. I just wanna know how much it'll be to send in my single comic book, get it graded and have it sent back to me. 

• Administrator
On 6/26/2022 at 9:17 PM, Travaran said:

Ya I already saw that. For lack of a better term, I'm guess I'm just stupid cause I didn't understand what it meant lol It used terms and talked about stuff I didn't understand. I just wanna know how much it'll be to send in my single comic book, get it graded and have it sent back to me. 

You choose a tier based on the value of the book.  Other than that, the online submission form is pretty self explanatory.  Here is a link on how to submit books.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/how-to-submit/

On 6/26/2022 at 9:24 PM, CGC Mike said:

You choose a tier based on the value of the book.  Other than that, the online submission form is pretty self explanatory.  Here is a link on how to submit books.

https://www.cgccomics.com/submit/how-to-submit/

So I'm seeing crazy high prices to get something graded. If I'm understanding this right it can cost over 150 dollars to get one comic graded depending on various factors. This is why I'm confused cause although you're giving me these links, they just lead me to places that talk about stuff they don't explain, it's like they expect you to already know a bunch of stuff going into this. 

On 6/26/2022 at 6:30 PM, Travaran said:

So I'm seeing crazy high prices to get something graded. If I'm understanding this right it can cost over 150 dollars to get one comic graded depending on various factors. This is why I'm confused cause although you're giving me these links, they just lead me to places that talk about stuff they don't explain, it's like they expect you to already know a bunch of stuff going into this. 

What is the comic?  Was it published before or after 1975?  Do you have an estimated idea of the grade(it’s condition, thus giving an idea of the fmv.)?

On 6/26/2022 at 9:33 PM, steveinthecity said:

What is the comic?  Was it published before or after 1975?  Do you have an estimated idea of the grade(it’s condition, thus giving an idea of the fmv.)?

The comics maybe a 7? Not sure. https://www.ebay.com/itm/255567050203 You can be the judge lol It says 1986 so I'm assuming that's when it was released. And yea, things like that is what I need to know. Release date and grade effecting fees of grading? This complex mess hurts my head. I'm stupid in general but I also take meds for my epilepsy and they slow me down I swear lol 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:45 PM, CGC Mike said:

$24 for grading

$18 for return shipping by FedEX

$5 handling fee

And which one is that? Cause it has, "modern" "economy" "express". Like which package costs those three fees you mentioned 

On 6/26/2022 at 9:58 PM, CGC Mike said:

image.png

The comic I was thinking of grading I believe was released in 1986. Would this package apply to that comic? Again, I'm completely new to this grading business so Idk how any of this works. 

On 6/26/2022 at 7:05 PM, Travaran said:

The comic I was thinking of grading I believe was released in 1986. Would this package apply to that comic? Again, I'm completely new to this grading business so Idk how any of this works. 

Yes.  If you wanted CCS pressing, a custom label, or digital imaging, those would be additional.

On 6/26/2022 at 10:12 PM, steveinthecity said:

Yes.  If you wanted CCS pressing, a custom label, or digital imaging, those would be additional.

What do you mean exactly by custom label and digital imaging? I know the pressing is part of the cleaning process but Idk what you mean by the other two things 

On 6/26/2022 at 7:14 PM, Travaran said:

What do you mean exactly by custom label and digital imaging? I know the pressing is part of the cleaning process but Idk what you mean by the other two things 

Explanation of custom labels:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/7873/

Digital imaging is a hi-resolution image of the front and back of your comic once encapsulated.  

On 6/26/2022 at 10:28 PM, steveinthecity said:

Explanation of custom labels:

https://www.cgccomics.com/news/article/7873/

Digital imaging is a hi-resolution image of the front and back of your comic once encapsulated.  

So it's purpose is just to make it look cool? XD It doesn't effect the value of the comic does it? Again I'm new to this whole thing so Idk. 

On 6/26/2022 at 10:29 PM, Travaran said:

So it's purpose is just to make it look cool? XD It doesn't effect the value of the comic does it? Again I'm new to this whole thing so Idk. 

Correct, the custom label is just to look cool. 

Pressing may help the grade, but what Mike shared is the cost for grading the book you shared. 

The value of that book may not warrant the costs of grading. But if it's important to you, you are looking at $50 plus the cost of the membership. 

On 6/26/2022 at 11:12 PM, KCOComics said:

Correct, the custom label is just to look cool. 

Pressing may help the grade, but what Mike shared is the cost for grading the book you shared. 

The value of that book may not warrant the costs of grading. But if it's important to you, you are looking at $50 plus the cost of the membership. 

But does custom labels effect the value in any way? Btw in regards to the return value, it's for myself, I know this comic isn't worth much XD

On 6/26/2022 at 11:23 PM, Travaran said:

But does custom labels effect the value in any way? Btw in regards to the return value, it's for myself, I know this comic isn't worth much XD

No, custom label doesn't effect value.  

On 6/26/2022 at 9:01 PM, Travaran said:

Are there a bunch of fees or some hidden charges?

Just to be clear, there are no "hidden charges". The only case in which you would be paying more than your invoice, is if your comic works out to being much more valuable than you appraised it for in your submission, which in most cases would actually make the customer happier.