• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

OT: Trading Spouses, the tv show

27 posts in this topic

Did anyone see the one where the "new age" spouse was swapped with the fundamentalist christian wife?

Did anyone find the fundamentalist a bit scarey like when she went absolutely insane when she met someone who thought he was a psychic? And her friends back home? The first question they asked the "new age" spouse was what her spiritual belief system and when she listed "unitarian" they dismissed her as not believing in jesus! (I was married in a Unitarian church, they seemed to be into the jesus thing more than anything else.) And when the fundamentalist got home and decided to perform an exorcism to get satan out of her house?

Yikes, scarey stuff. People whose heads start spinning when they're in the same room as someone with a different belief system. What century are we in and what % of the population are these people?

Just reaffirms that I will probably never live anywhere that isn't connected with a major metropolitan area given that where this lady lived in podunkville, pretty much everyone was like her.

The question is whether that episode would make a decent comic book....

I thought a lot of it looked staged. And the physic guy showing up totally unannounced was very staged. Fox knew that they were putting people into situations that would become volitaile.

This thread should be in the water cooler. In spite of what kind of comic book it would make. Frankly it would be a boring read. They found a large woman who over-reacts to things with bad teeth, and tried to insert situations that seemed strange.

Just another instance of Fox exploiting the ignorant and stupid for its own ends. That station is, unequivocally, the worst on TV. Between this trash, and the rest of its lineup filled with reality garbage, it has lost any cred it once had for putting on shows like the Simpsons. Not counting pro football, I seriously watch less than an hour of TV a week. Not hard to figure out why...

Just reaffirms that I will probably never live anywhere that isn't connected with a major metropolitan area given that where this lady lived in podunkville, pretty much everyone was like her.

Having grown up in podunkville, I take a bit of umbrage at the sweeping generalization. sumo.gif

Of course, I could make my own now that I am marooned in a land of citydwellers... poke2.gif

Yikes, scarey stuff. People whose heads start spinning when they're in the same room as someone with a different belief system. What century are we in and what % of the population are these people?

I don't know what was more frightening... the woman or her horribly judgemental friends. The way they treated the "new age" mom was disgraceful and not "christian-like" in my view.

I'm a Catholic that lives in a small town (after moving from NYC), and I've never seen anything remotely like this among the people I know.

I'd like to think these people were selected because they are so extreme, NOT because they represent most people.

flowerred.gif

i found the fundamentalists use of the words F%$K and Jesus in the same sentence rather disconcerting. i wanted to watch LOST, but Ellen got caught up by the incessant in-house advertising that Fox does and HAD to watch that episode. we'd never watched the show before.

and now she'll make me watch it next week to see the "blow-up"............... frown.gif

I'm a Catholic that lives in a small town (after moving from NYC), and I've never seen anything remotely like this among the people I know.

I'm exactly with you, bro thumbsup2.gif If anything, the folks in all my communities I've lived in (Jackson Heights, Staten Island, Binghamton,-in NY - Alexandria, Centreville, -in VA ) have been nothing but kind and accepting to folks from all walks of life. Althought we didn't have anything quite so abrasive and loud like that woman on the show last night... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I'd like to think these people were selected because they are so extreme, NOT because they represent most people.

flowerred.gif

Otherwise, they don't get ratings...folks like to watch the train wrecks in life and feel a sense of being above it all, IMO. To them watching failure and misfortune befall others at this slight level is satisfying the sadistic immature child in them. Probably saying at the end of this show "Thank God I'm not like her or her friends or my life isn't as bad as that." Doesn't make for good tv if the shows made the viewers feel inferior all the time in all aspects of their lives in comparison to the featured families confused-smiley-013.gif

There's a big difference between being a Fundamentalist (with a big "F") and being a whack-job who goes to church. I think Fox successfully got themselves the latter and labled her the former.

Harry - Lost was a rerun last night so you didn't miss anything yay.gif Next week is a new episode and supposedly one of the regular featured cast is "LOST forever"... hope it's Claire 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

they never said it was one of the regular cast members. It could be someone from the new tribe, like the blonde woman who talks to Michael.

I'm a Unitarian, if anything, and have been affiliated with Unitarian churches since I was a small child. That woman last night was a total whack job, and hopefully was not representative of anything EXCEPT total whack jobs. She was a simply repulsive human being. mad.gif

From yesterday's NY Post...

WHAT'S WITH THAT MELTDOWN MOM ON FOX?

By DON KAPLAN

THE gap-toothed Louisiana woman whose babbling, screaming meltdown has been played repeatedly on Fox to promote tonight's new season of "Trading Spouses" tonight doesn't care if people think she's nuts.

"It's okay," Marguerite Perrin, told The Post yesterday. "I'm hoping once they see the show, they'll see that I'm a real person and I'm just raw and what you see is just who I am and that's just the way it is."

The Fox clip has become a TV talker — showing Perrin pitching a wild-eyed fit, screeching at the top of her lungs that she's "a Christian warrior" and something like, "get the hell out of my house, in Jesus' name I pray."

The series takes mothers from divergent backgrounds and makes them swap families for a week. While everyone on the show usually seems to be under a lot of pressure, viewers can't ever recall a mother who showed it as much as Perrin.

Her problem, she says, was that the Massachusetts family she swapped with had different, "dark" beliefs and frequently confronted her with them.

The Flishers of Massachusetts turned out to be firm believers in astrology, palm reading, the power of crystals and other New Age doctrines.

"There were witch books in their house," she says.

The scenes shown on the promos were captured when she returned to her own home.

"I felt so bad," says Perrin. "As soon as I hit the door of my house, I wanted to talk to my family and I was about to explode. As much as I kept telling myself, 'wait until the camera crews leave,' I could not hold it anymore. I just wanted the camera crew out and that's what happened.

"I didn't even say hello or anything — when I hit the door it just came over me," she says.

Her family, says Perrin, was happy to see her but she ended up frightening them instead. "They weren't scared because I'm always loud, but that was the maddest I've ever been in my life.

"They were upset that I didn't have a good time," she says.

Harry - Lost was a rerun last night so you didn't miss anything yay.gif Next week is a new episode and supposedly one of the regular featured cast is "LOST forever"... hope it's Claire 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

they never said it was one of the regular cast members. It could be someone from the new tribe, like the blonde woman who talks to Michael.

foreheadslap.gif I'm not as up on it and probably was bamboozled by the promo. That would be pretty tame then if it was a new character that no one has any real connection with? Like "Arnzt"? what if it is the black lady's husband? That would suck...

speaking of the lady talking to Michael, wasn't she in some failed 90s' sitcom - I'm going to have to imdb it but I don't even know her cast name...

893applaud-thumb.gif

I'd love to see her and/or the annoying junkie boyfriend buy it...

But Deathlok is probably right -- it'll be one of the "new" castmembers -- most likely the blonde woman, the black guy or the "husband."

where is the water cooler? i actually looked around here for it but couldn't find it, so I stuck it here. yeah, i probably didn't look hard enough.

some of these trading spouses would make fun peter bagley comics, so perhaps proper here!

ok, i guess i wasn't the only one to get freaked out

granted, they've gone both ways too on the show with hippy/vegan types not being particularly accepting of others, but nothing like this.

sometimes they like to swap a pretty ditzy californian wife with a heavy set loud woman or something like that. last season the heavy woman was a dental hygenist and the other wife's california botox friends actually made fun of her because they thought what she did was disgusting, having to go in other people's mouths

so fox doesn't just make fundamentalists look bad

they gave up trading husbands because it made for boring TV. most guys just go with the flow for a week in someone else's house. apparently, the women they find for these shows cannot.

my wife forces me to watch this stuff and i don't want to, but invariably i get sucked in , just like the apprentice, which i'm forced to watch too

they gave up trading husbands because it made for boring TV. most guys just go with the flow for a week in someone else's house. apparently, the women they find for these shows cannot.

27_laughing.gif

Yeah, I can't imagine getting all worked up because the chores in someone elses home are not the same as mine or their kids behave badly.

So what? I'm outta here in a week and I collect a nice check for going along with the program...

Yeah... the show wouldn't work with men. wink.gif