• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Modern Spec & Bust Adventure
1 1

44 posts in this topic

What is your biggest spec that you are still waiting to see if it pans out or that you have already deemed a bust?

Mine is recent.
I recently purchased a 25-book lot of FCBD 2022 Avengers/X-Men #1 (1st appearance of Bloodline, daughter of Blade).
It was a cheap enough investment that I could afford to risk given that otherwise, I would have spent that money on a random purchase. 

I know there were a lot of them printed so not holding onto it being a big $$ book but heck, ya never know. 
I have yet to have a good spec pan out (shrug)

FCBD-2022-Avengers.jpg

Lol

I will say that anything holding true value takes time, time time time.

Time to forget about, time for not many copies to survive, just time in my experience.

I guess it would depend on what your "speculation is", if a quick burst of funds?  Then usually were talking pennies on the dollar, most often, and there hasnt been enough time for these to get back from cgc with a notation on the label.

:cheers:

On 6/30/2022 at 4:29 PM, KB81 said:

What is your biggest spec that you are still waiting to see if it pans out or that you have already deemed a bust?

Mine is recent.
I recently purchased a 25-book lot of FCBD 2022 Avengers/X-Men #1 (1st appearance of Bloodline, daughter of Blade).
It was a cheap enough investment that I could afford to risk given that otherwise, I would have spent that money on a random purchase. 

I know there were a lot of them printed so not holding onto it being a big $$ book but heck, ya never know. 
I have yet to have a good spec pan out (shrug)

FCBD-2022-Avengers.jpg

You've made the spec, just set it and forget it, or rabbit hole it by having them slabbed?

Those are options, but I'd hope for the long run. I just had a fcbd book graded that's rose in value, and it's from 2016 ........ it took 6 years to climb

There was spec last year about venom 25, with variants out the wazoo, including a fcbd that was meant to be released first, but due to circumstances didnt get done in time, there is a cgc label notation about it.

This is a long story to say your probably not alone in this daughter blade thing, I know I have a copy, but time, time ,time.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Right on 100%

One-Punch Man? 

Do FCBD books have any outliers that sell for big $? I was told most do not sell well but I must admit in not doing my research on that comment. 

Edited by KB81
updated info

On 6/30/2022 at 4:40 PM, KB81 said:

Right on 100%

One-Punch Man? 

Do FCBD books have any outliers that sell for big $? I was told most do not sell well but I must admit in not doing my research on that comment. 

Yes one punch, and it's coming back next week as 9.2 qualified, as the sticker didn't look easy to detach so idk.

I feel you cause I've got these fcbd before or several and it can seem hit and miss, although if store stamps and stickers give it a qualified label, then that may be how there are "fewer numbers" making it more attractive for value.

One punch is an established character feeding value off other media. I'm just glad to own it in comics, cause that's "my preference" of media or art form.

Daughter of blade feeds off blade, but and imo, for her to be further relevant, she needs stories under her belt and a thickening of the plot.

Look at silk, spider Gwen and miles, as of 2016 or whatever most could be got already slabbed and in 9.8 for $1-300 range. I'm not saying they're "movie or game" books but they did have to develop relevance.

I'm not promoting this app, key collector did have a stat that in 2021 alone there were like 100 to 200 1st appearances. Got to be prepared to wait for stand outs and hope it's still affordable when you decide, or read the story for yourself cause it might help in your decision, or buy more than the first app and follow a character.

If you yourself develop a kinship, you're probably not alone.

I'm rambling a bit but big picture kind of stuff.

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Nonsense, no rambling. It all fits the topic and I appreciate the info.

You are correct that a 1st app alone will not cut it. She has a famous dad and if Marvel is serious about their next-gen characters, then she should have stories under her. They just need to be good stories :) 

On 6/30/2022 at 5:00 PM, KB81 said:

Nonsense, no rambling. It all fits the topic and I appreciate the info.

You are correct that a 1st app alone will not cut it. She has a famous dad and if Marvel is serious about their next-gen characters, then she should have stories under her. They just need to be good stories :) 

I can agree with that, so in time, patience will be fruitful. :)

But I too know someone who did like you, so if it helps your not alone. ^^

I probably bought too many Hulk 6 even though I knew better. I also bought a bunch of Black Panther 3 2nd print, but those actually seem to be moving a little bit. For some reason I only pre-ordered 1 copy of ASM 55 (the big Gleason cover) when it first came out though. And I missed on pre-ordering Black Panther 3 1st print at all. Apparently I'm not great at this... :roflmao:

On 6/30/2022 at 10:06 PM, Jesse-Lee said:

I probably bought too many Hulk 6 even though I knew better. I also bought a bunch of Black Panther 3 2nd print, but those actually seem to be moving a little bit. For some reason I only pre-ordered 1 copy of ASM 55 (the big Gleason cover) when it first came out though. And I missed on pre-ordering Black Panther 3 1st print at all. Apparently I'm not great at this... :roflmao:

Ha! 

I feel ya pain but don’t give up. 

I’ve invested quite a bit in Star Wars books across the board.

As of most recent (last couple’ish years) a lot (a lot) of High Republic and High Republic Adventures.

Boiling all of that down to a couple specific specs… Deva Lompop and Aphra. 

Edited by CheeseFrog

On 6/30/2022 at 11:09 PM, CheeseFrog said:

I’ve invested quite a bit in Star Wars books across the board.

As of most recent (last couple’ish years) a lot (a lot) of High Republic and High Republic Adventures.

Boiling all of that down to a couple specific specs… Deva Lompop and Aphra. 

I have a buddy on the same boat. 

On 6/30/2022 at 11:11 PM, Troy Division said:

My biggest spec is Revival #1 from Image Comics.
Fun fact: it turns 10 years old in two weeks...
Beyond the 30+ raw copies of #1 sitting in a short box AND the 4 CGC 9.8 SS of the sketch cover...I also purchased the original art for the first 5 covers (plus a variant cover).

Second place would be Manifest Destiny #1.

revival.jpg

Manifest Destiny 1.jpg

I have 2 9.8’s of Revival. It’s actually a good story if you ask me. 

FEC56DE2-4E2E-4C50-83EE-82151ECB6424.jpeg

6B70B62B-C5E1-4F9F-8DDB-93C1EE1F8AD0.jpeg

On 6/30/2022 at 5:40 PM, KB81 said:

Right on 100%

One-Punch Man? 

First Umbrella Academy from FCBD 2007 (?) sells for big $.

I bought a package from an online store that was 480 copies of the FCBD Blade’s Daughter and the 1:1000 Momoko Variant for $299.  Unfortunately about half of the 480 seem to have a printer’s crease.  I’m not sure that is something that could be pressed out.  But I’ll be watching this one with you!

On 7/1/2022 at 6:45 PM, S James said:

I bought a package from an online store that was 480 copies of the FCBD Blade’s Daughter and the 1:1000 Momoko Variant for $299.  Unfortunately about half of the 480 seem to have a printer’s crease.  I’m not sure that is something that could be pressed out.  But I’ll be watching this one with you!

There you go! 
sorry they have that issue but a good presser can let you know if it can be pressed out but you and I are far from grading those right now. Lol. 

My biggest spec for a while was All New Marvel Now Point One. I can’t tell you how many copies of this book I picked from dollar boxes 6 or so years ago.

Second would be Young Avengers 1. I had a dozen copies at one time.

I now have two of each lol.

On 6/30/2022 at 2:29 PM, KB81 said:

The only spec I've ever done intentionally (other than buying collections) is Hulk 181, and only because there were two copies left at the drugstore, so I picked them both up instead of "filling out the form" to return them. At 25 cents each, what did I have to lose. (shrug)

On 7/1/2022 at 1:11 PM, Troy Division said:

My biggest spec is Revival #1 from Image Comics.
Fun fact: it turns 10 years old in two weeks...
Beyond the 30+ raw copies of #1 sitting in a short box AND the 4 CGC 9.8 SS of the sketch cover...
I also purchased the original art for the first 5 covers (plus a variant cover).

Second place would be Manifest Destiny #1.

revival.jpg

Manifest Destiny 1.jpg

Why revival? I remember when they were hot year's ago but they fizzled out. Is there a reason why you're speculating on them now?

When Marvel Vs Capcom 3 came out, I was so confused by the roster.  Then, when the next update released, I realized it was Disney priming the pump for the character introductions before they hit the screen(s).  I went hard (for me) on MODOK, Shuma Gorath, She Hulk, and a few others.  At one time, I had about 12 Marvel Premiere 10s and maybe 8-9 ToS 94s.  I ended up selling in 2018 when I moved because I was sick of lugging around potential specs after a cross-country move and missed out big.  Same with UF4.  I had 6 copies of that and 2 or 3 of the Djurdjević variant but cashed out for like, $20 and $200 respectively.  I think I don't have the long-term stomach for holding because of the fear of a bust.

As far as busts, I was left holding a good pile of Rebirth stuff that I should have known better about.  

Edited by Beastfeast

On 7/2/2022 at 5:53 AM, Underground44 said:

Why revival? I remember when they were hot year's ago but they fizzled out. Is there a reason why you're speculating on them now?

Great question.
I could guess I could have clarified my post better.
It was in response to the first half of the question that kicked off this thread.
I am really not sure anything will ever come of Revival, but I'd love to be proven wrong.
Also, who doesn't love to get in on early Jenny Frison cover art?

On 6/30/2022 at 5:29 PM, KB81 said: