• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Foom #10 - Can anyone give me a hand!
1 1

8 posts in this topic

Hi All - hoping someone can help.  As part of my Jack Kirby collection a couple of years ago I got hold of Foom #10 which I have now seen is in demand.  I've dug it out of the comic box and would like some opinions on what grade anyone might think it is and also whether or not I should get it officially graded.  I'm in the UK so it would be a considerable expense to send it to the US so I really need to know it would be worthwhile.  Nice white  pages, good corners, flat, looks as if it has never been read.  One or two 'blemishes' that I've tried to show, but if anyone wants to see anymore images let me know and I'll post.  Thanks

foom1.jpg

foom2.jpg

foom11.jpg

foom12.jpg

foom13.jpg

foom14.jpg

foom15.jpg

foom16a.jpg

foom17a.jpg

foom18.jpg

It's in nice shape.  What are your plans for it?  I wouldn't slab it myself, but what are your thoughts?  Sending that book alone to be slabbed will cost well over $100 and take many months.   Will the demand for this book still be there in a year?  Will you sell it or hold on to it? 

Do you want to keep it of flip it? 

Edited by shadroch

When I get my FOOM 2 back in a million years (I got it signed by Steranko in March), I will be happy to comment with more authority. Overall, my #2 is in better condition with the *huge* caveat that some jerk started the crossword puzzle back in the 70s :pullhair:  I'm hoping no one notices, or I get a qualified label with the apparent grade for the good condition of the book otherwise.

I've been interested in #10, so I've been following listings and sales for a while. It's has been consistently a high-value book, and it does not appear there are many copies out there, and even fewer in higher grades. I think it's definitely worth grading to protect it, and for when you either sell or pass it on to the next generation. I think this will come in 7.0-8.0. From what I've seen with FOOM broadly, CGC has some leniency for some kinds of defects. Mailing labels for instance don't seem to bother them. IDK what % of these were directly mailed to fans vs. other distribution routes, but obviously that plays a role in how CGC views "acceptable" defects at each grade. My guess is that C&P isn't going to do a whole lot here since the crease is a real crease, and the cover is not glossy paper. For no more than it costs, I would just have CCS press it so it looks as good as possible in the holder.

For some reason, the owners of FF1 and FF48 have not bitten on my offer of a crisp $10 for their books. I am willing to go through the hassle to convert it into a crisp £10 note to offer for this book. You have a really nice one.

Thanks for the input.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.  Recently I saw one (probably better condition than mine) sold on ebay for just under $3000, and if mine was valued at that sort of money (raw or graded) I'd have to let it go simply because of insurance.  That would be a real wrench - I've spent the best part of 10 years putting my Kirby collection together and I'd hate to start breaking it up now.  BTW my Kirby collection is from 1971 (after he left Marvel) to his death in 1994.  I think I've virtually got all the comics he was involved in from that period (full stories, covers, adverts) according to the Checklist Centennial Edition.  Currently stands at 472 comics etc.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:25 PM, Seandux said:

Thanks for the input.  Not sure what I'm going to do with it yet.  Recently I saw one (probably better condition than mine) sold on ebay for just under $3000, and if mine was valued at that sort of money (raw or graded) I'd have to let it go simply because of insurance.  That would be a real wrench - I've spent the best part of 10 years putting my Kirby collection together and I'd hate to start breaking it up now.  BTW my Kirby collection is from 1971 (after he left Marvel) to his death in 1994.  I think I've virtually got all the comics he was involved in from that period (full stories, covers, adverts) according to the Checklist Centennial Edition.  Currently stands at 472 comics etc.

Very nice. I've tried to collect as much Kirby as possible, but given I started too late, I've limited myself to some of the less mainstream Marvel stuff (Eternals, Devil Dinosaur, etc.) and some DC (New Gods, Kamandi). I'd love FOOM 10 for the X-Men tie-in; however, I'm not sure I could make an auction-competitive offer if you decided to sell. $3K does seem like a reasonable over-under for a final price.