***THE COLLECTOR’S SUMMIT*** RETURNS
3 3

108 posts in this topic

On 11/14/2022 at 10:06 AM, MrBedrock said:

I would also like to thank Nate. He was a pleasure to talk to and really pulled together a cool event.

My biggest take away from this gathering of the supposedly movers and shakers was how young most of the folks attending are. I know the old guys like myself just keep getting older but the passing of the torch has really begun. Even the dealers booths were attended by younger folks. The Reeces, the Verzyls, Conan Saunders, the Shortboxed crew etc. all seem to really care about the books and the hobby. It makes me think collecting funnybooks won't just die off because of age.

Encouraging to read this, Mr. Bedrock. That was my guess from seeing Clark's group dinner photo, but it's good to see confirmation from someone who was there. Looks like you guys had a blast!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Also wanted to give my thanks to Nate and Heritage for hosting this event. In a world where attendance numbers are seen as king by most promoters, it was refreshing to attend an event that was hyper focused on quality books and treating the dealers/collectors to an amazing experience. Austin and I had a blast hanging with friends new and old, and will definitely come back if (when?) this event happens again. Thanks to everyone who stopped by to hang out or buy/sell a book!

 

Alex

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/13/2022 at 9:57 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

As it turned out, I spent most of the time there visiting with friends I haven't seen in ages instead of wheeling and dealing.  I did bring a short-box of books ...including several high demand under copies... but my primary focus was checking this event out for future reference (my books were primarily intended as show-and-tell; I wasn't focused on trades or sales this time around).  

I have to say it was a very well run event with the best security I've seen at any show.  And while I was fully prepared for HA to focus attention on upcoming auction items, the dealers weren't given short shrift.  All of the dealers were setup near the entrance, receiving the most attention; Heritage's displays were at the back. HA also catered food which deserves serious mention.  In addition to my buddy "Great Caesar's Ghost", friends I conversed with included the Verzyls (John, Jr. & Rose), Richard "Bedrock" Evans, Dale "short-box" Roberts, Roy "Vintage" Delic (Canadian import), Buddy "My Comic Shop" Saunders, Steve "Jerry Garcia" Borock, Matt "Pedigreed" Nelson, Stephen "Worldwide" Ritter, and many, many more!

That wasn't my impression of the event at all.  There were lots of books available from dealers at various price points. This event wasn't open to the general public, so most sales or trades would've been between dealers. If I'd been more serious about moving the books I'd brought I'm pretty sure I could've sold/traded everything. That said, this was the first serious comic related event I've attended in several years; it met my expectations and then some.

thanks for sharing your take on the event. the summit was indeed open to the public, it is just an expensive ticket. i'm not sure what gave you that impression...

the first one in washington was a smaller show it seems than this time around. i'm sure the involvement of heritage helped this become a much bigger deal. just wish dallas wasn't so far from some of us! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 8:03 PM, alexgross.com said:

thanks for sharing your take on the event. the summit was indeed open to the public, it is just an expensive ticket. i'm not sure what gave you that impression...

the first one in washington was a smaller show it seems than this time around. i'm sure the involvement of heritage helped this become a much bigger deal. just wish dallas wasn't so far from some of us! 

HI Alex,

Entrance fee was $50 for the 2 day event..hardly expensive?
Parking was free..refreshments and food were provided for everyone throughout the show at no cost.

Heritage only/generously provided the venue space. The organizer of the show booked all the dealers and made all the arrangements from beginning to end. 

Thank you for the feedback

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 5:18 PM, Funnybooks said:

HI Alex,

Entrance fee was $50 for the 2 day event..hardly expensive?
Parking was free..refreshments and food were provided for everyone throughout the show at no cost.

Heritage only/generously provided the venue space. The organizer of the show booked all the dealers and made all the arrangements from beginning to end. 

Thank you for the feedback

 

nice! i guess it was the previous one that seemed pricey- $100 for just the one day. this sounds like it was a great deal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 7:03 PM, alexgross.com said:

thanks for sharing your take on the event. the summit was indeed open to the public, it is just an expensive ticket. i'm not sure what gave you that impression...

the first one in washington was a smaller show it seems than this time around. i'm sure the involvement of heritage helped this become a much bigger deal. just wish dallas wasn't so far from some of us! 

It seemed like Heritage had limited number of admissions, but  "...wasn't open to the general public" was a poor choice of phrasing on my part.  When inquiring Great Caesar's Ghost discovered admissions were closed as Heritage had apparently limited admissions and the event sold out quickly.  He received an invitation and advised me to contact Heritage, which I thankfully did.

Note: From my perspective, when you see a "sold out" notice that means show isn't open to the general public at that point in time. Sorry about the confusion. :foryou:

PS: If there's another I'd gladly pay $100 admission (...and gladly eat a lot more of the catered food, as well!) :bigsmile:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 9:52 PM, Cat-Man_America said:

It seemed like Heritage had limited number of admissions, but  "...wasn't open to the general public" was a poor choice of phrasing on my part.  When inquiring Great Caesar's Ghost discovered admissions were closed as Heritage had apparently limited admissions and the event sold out quickly.  He received an invitation and advised me to contact Heritage, which I thankfully did.

Note: From my perspective, when you see a "sold out" notice that means show isn't open to the general public at that point in time. Sorry about the confusion. :foryou:

PS: If there's another I'd gladly pay $100 admission (...and gladly eat a lot more of the catered food, as well!) :bigsmile:

I'll post info in a new thread next year for the next Summit event

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 6:13 PM, Funnybooks said:

yes..you are correct. The last show was $100. :foryou:

The last show was $100 dollars and was for Saturday AND Sunday. The cost of travel from west coast to Dallas definitely a considerable amount more than the three hour drive north to Bellevue from Portland. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/14/2022 at 9:29 PM, Ltpink2002 said:

The show was a bargain. Complementary food and drinks the first night with a phenomenal guided tour of the HA establishment and a SA/GA loaded show the next day. Something my kids and I will never forget. They're already looking forward to hopefully an annual event.  My thanks and appreciation for those who have dedicated their time to this remarkable event. :golfclap:

I had another commitment Saturday evening and wasn't able to attend the preview; that may be why I missed out on the key fob selection. I consider the $50 charge entirely reasonable for an event like this especially with complimentary food and refreshments provided by Heritage.  It certainly upholds their image as a top notch auction house. :cheers:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
3 3