• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Having a signature witnessed but not submitting right away?
3 3

11 posts in this topic

I know it's possible since I've seen labels with signatures dated with alot of time between them. But how does that work exactly?

Can they keep a record of the witnessed signature until the next one you want to add to it? Is there a time limit?

I tried searching for this, but this board's search function is garbage.

You can submit them to multiple signature  events at different times. 

So if you had Stan Lee sign a ASM50 in 2016 and got a witnessed sig, then in 2018 you did another signature event with John Romita, as long as CGC witnesses both events, both will keep their signature series designation and CGC will note the dates of the signature on the label. 

You can't have Romita sign the book, take it home for 3 years and then submit it

I don't quite understand. So you'd have to get it graded and slabbed after the first witnessed signature and if you wanted to add another signature you'd have to open it up have it signed then graded and slabbed again? 

On 7/2/2022 at 1:35 PM, Tregster said:

I don't quite understand. So you'd have to get it graded and slabbed after the first witnessed signature and if you wanted to add another signature you'd have to open it up have it signed then graded and slabbed again? 

That's how the verification works. Signature in the presence CGC personnel at their office or at a convention. Signed books are sealed in tamper proof bag at conventions and then one brings to CGC table to be sent to Florida to be graded and slabbed. Slabbing /sealing guarantees that it was the book with witnessed signature. As mentioned above, to acquire additional signatures, slabbed book must be in the presence of CGC and they will crack the slab, witness new signature and regrade/slab. Books are regraded because it will be handled in it's raw state by the artist and there is a possibility of damage. Having the book pressed by CCS when graded is recommended in case of rough handling.

Ah, I get it now. Thanks guys!

Sounds like multiple signatures on a signature series could get pretty expensive! Unless you got them at the same convention on the same day I guess?

Edited by Tregster

On 7/2/2022 at 5:54 PM, Tregster said:

Ah, I get it now. Thanks guys!

Sounds like multiple signatures on a signature series could get pretty expensive! Unless you got them at the same convention on the same day I guess?

Yeah, you'll often see people pay more for the signature / slabbing process than the book is worth after the signatures. 

I'm not a big signature series collector, but the few I have are more about the people than money to me.

There is another way, but not exactly sure how long they can hold them (There is a limit) 

Use a CGC Facilitator. 

You ship a book to them . They take it to the Convention/signing have it signed , and can keep it raw while taking it to other signings/conventions to get more signatures. Then after they send them to CGC for encapsulation/grading. 

On 7/3/2022 at 3:34 PM, Msgarmar said:

Cool book! Has that retained the same grade through all of those signings? 

It was originally a 9.4 when I bought it with one signature on it. I cracked it the first time and it came back a 9.4 again. I then sent it through a facilitator and they told me to get it pressed, which resulted in a 9.6. It staid 9.6 for the past 5 gradings.