• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is this collection of mine worth anything and should it any of it be graded?
1 1

22 posts in this topic

On 7/2/2022 at 8:34 PM, boomtown said:

Your Tomb of Dracula #10 and Spider-Man 129 are your big dollar books. You have a handful of other Spider-Man books that will do well, along with a bunch of filler stuff that will definitely sell.

I agree. 

On 7/2/2022 at 8:34 PM, boomtown said:

Your Tomb of Dracula #10 and Spider-Man 129 are your big dollar books. You have a handful of other Spider-Man books that will do well, along with a bunch of filler stuff that will definitely sell.

Agree.

On 7/3/2022 at 5:57 PM, Lightning55 said:

Nice group of books!  If you're looking to sell, you might want to get some of the higher value books graded.  People have more confidence buying comics that have passed a restoration check and have 3rd party grading.

Thanks, I am looking to sell and get some graded since I live only a short distance from Sarasota so I guess I can drop mine off.  I’ll plan to get the Drac 10 and Spidey 129 graded.  I don’t know which of the others I should have graded, can you give me any advice on which ones would qualify?  Cost is not an issue.

I couldn't really say without having them in hand.  Some key comics sell as well raw as they do graded, if they are not high grade.  You can purchase a current Overstreet Guide, about $21 on Amazon at the moment.  It has a grading guide in there, too.  As you look them up, use your best judgement as to what each grade is.  Since you have a spreadsheet already going, you could add that information.  You can also see which issues have high prices using GoCollect, GPA, Key Comics, or the mycomicshop website, etc.

There are some nice books in there. 

In addition to what others have mentioned ASM121 and 122, Hulk 162, and Ironman 55 are a few that jump out. 

You'll want to get a sense for the grade. You can post them here in the PGM section and people will tell you their opinions. Then you can look at sold prices on eBay to get a better sense of their value and if slabbing is worth it. 

Even living close to CGC you are looking at several months TAT. Likely over a year with pressing,  so keep that in mind. 

Is this collection of mine worth anything and should it any of it be graded?

Yes!

Boomtown and KCO have the given you a good set to have graded. Unless you are in a rush to sell, it would benefit you to see the grades that CGC gives them.

Edited by divad

On 7/5/2022 at 11:10 AM, thehygienist said:

Curious as why my worst condition comic was recommended or maybe you just looked at the spreadsheet?

Ironman 55 is the first appearance of some well known characters.

On 7/5/2022 at 2:10 PM, thehygienist said:

Curious as why my worst condition comic was recommended or maybe you just looked at the spreadsheet?

I didn't look at condition at all. 

I just looked through the excel file quickly for key issues. 

ASM129 is your biggest book. First punisher. That could be worth thousands or hundreds depending on condition. 

IM55 is the first Thanos. If it's in nice shape it's probably your second biggest book. Though it sounds like it's not. 

ASM121 and 122 were a ground breaking story line... the death of Gween Stacey. Really important books and again,  if they are in nice shape they can command some coin. 

Hulk 162 is the first Wendigo which is a cool book that's probably worth a few hundred bucks. 

There may be others,  I just looked quickly. But condition is the great variable. Individually,  these books could be worth $50 or $5k + depending on what shape they are in. 

If you post clear front and back cover pictures of those issues in the Spare a Grade section here,  people will give you an idea of the grade and then you can look up the value.  If I get some time this evening I can try to look at the photos online and give you my opinion. 

On 7/5/2022 at 3:00 PM, KCOComics said:

If I get some time this evening I can try to look at the photos online and give you my opinion. 

Thanks for your detailed assessment, and any visual info you can provide.

On 7/5/2022 at 3:00 PM, KCOComics said:

I didn't look at condition at all. 

I just looked through the excel file quickly for key issues. 

ASM129 is your biggest book. First punisher. That could be worth thousands or hundreds depending on condition. 

IM55 is the first Thanos. If it's in nice shape it's probably your second biggest book. Though it sounds like it's not. 

ASM121 and 122 were a ground breaking story line... the death of Gween Stacey. Really important books and again,  if they are in nice shape they can command some coin. 

Hulk 162 is the first Wendigo which is a cool book that's probably worth a few hundred bucks. 

There may be others,  I just looked quickly. But condition is the great variable. Individually,  these books could be worth $50 or $5k + depending on what shape they are in. 

If you post clear front and back cover pictures of those issues in the Spare a Grade section here,  people will give you an idea of the grade and then you can look up the value.  If I get some time this evening I can try to look at the photos online and give you my opinion. 

TOD 10 & THOR 225 as well

I didn’t look at all the books, but the few keys I did look at see in the 4.0 range. Some money potential is present but not what you might be expecting. 

I would take high quality pictures of a few of the big books and post them in the grading section.