• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bronze Age Movie Adaptations: Successes & Failures
1 1

24 posts in this topic

Looking at the movie adaptations, it’s clear that Star Wars 1 is the single greatest success during the Bronze Age. Then we have movie adaptations like Logan’s Run, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a number of others that never achieved the success of Star Wars. Star Wars went on to a successful run of more than 100 issues (107) but other movie adaptations ended quickly after short runs. Other successes? Failures?

Going by longevity, the only other Marvel success that I can recall would be their Indiana Jones series. But even that only lasted three years and was labeled as the Further Adventure of.... so maybe not a true movie adaption series. More of a property adaption series
https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=176201

Marvel did several movie adaptations in the early 80s but as one shots or 2 or 4 issue minis series

Dragonslayer
Blade Runner
Time Bandits
Dune
For Your Eyes Only
Labyrinth

And many others

Edited by JERKFROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The only true Marvel Bronze success in terms of length was Star Wars.

The 80's Film one-shots and mini-series' are Copper Age for most part IMHO.  Not much to discuss as they served their purpose which was to adapt the film and that was that. As mentioned in an above post Indiana Jones Character had a 3 year monthly run but it's Copper not Bronze.

In terms of Licensed Properties for late Bronze and Copper, Marvel had solid successes with multiple Toy tie-ins.

Edited by MAR1979

On 7/3/2022 at 10:13 AM, MAR1979 said:

The 80's Film one-shots and mini-series' are Copper Age for most part IMHO.  Not much to discuss as they served their purpose which was to adapt the film and that was that. As mentioned in an above post Indiana Jones Character had a 3 year monthly run but it's Copper not Bronze.

Cronze actually

On 7/4/2022 at 1:16 AM, MattTheDuck said:

"Godzilla" did a couple of year's worth of issues, but I'm not sure that was strictly a "movie adaptation."

I put it in same category as "Further Adventure of Indiana Jones".    Not positive but I think Godzilla is the only Bronze or Copper Marvel title that took place in the Marvel Universe. #23 and #24 are Stone Classic Pop Culture Cross-Overs.

On 7/3/2022 at 8:36 PM, MisterX said:

Planet of the Apes, both the magazine and the floppies.

For TV, we got Man from Atlantis and Battlestar Galactica.

Charlton got some mileage out of the Six Million Dollar Man, Bionic Woman, and Space: 1999.

Apes had so much potential. Sad that it wasn’t successful especially when it was the best sci-fi film prior to Star Wars hitting the screens in 1977.

On 7/4/2022 at 1:16 AM, MattTheDuck said:

"Godzilla" did a couple of year's worth of issues, but I'm not sure that was strictly a "movie adaptation."

Wasn’t a bad series. Marvel could have done more but was there a licensing issue at the time? 

On 7/12/2022 at 4:19 PM, mysterymachine said:

Heavy Metal put together an illustrated adaption of "Alien", but it's hardly ever discussed. I guess only a handful of people ever bought it. (shrug)

Awesome Walt Simonson art in that one from 1979.

They also did one that same year for the Spielberg movie, "1941" with Stephen Bissette & Rick Veitch art (both later worked on "Swamp Thing").

On 7/12/2022 at 8:20 PM, shadroch said:

Creepshow

Creepshow was a unique comic for me because I remember buying my copy in the movie theater just prior to seeing the film.

On 7/15/2022 at 6:47 PM, OtherEric said:

The Planet of the Apes magazine was unusual in that it had two stories in each issue, one a movie adaptation and the other a new story set in the world.

Apes_09.jpg

Apes_14.jpg

Apes_18.jpg

Apes_17.jpg

Apes_24.jpg

These are beautiful. The world before Star Wars belonged to the Apes when I was a kid.