• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first comic you remember buying
5 5

104 posts in this topic

On 7/3/2022 at 7:49 PM, Parabellum said:

Awesome book to be your first comic purchase.  My experience was opposite from yours.  Team America 6 is the first book I remember buying. 🤣🤣🤣

In my defense I was 5 and thought motor cycles were cool. :facepalm:

87A2F151-9BE1-4C9F-A759-158F011C1337.jpeg

That’s 😎 @Parabellum - I was 13 at the time Team America came out, and buying that title as well. 🏍 🇺🇸 👍

On 7/3/2022 at 6:23 PM, 1950's war comics said:

wow !! that team America is some major drek !! it actually hurts my eyes to look at it ,,,,,,

yep if that was my first comic I would have never touched another comic book.
This is why many ppl dont read-first book was some boring thing like to kill a mockingbird.  for a 13 year old that will kill any and all urge to read.

when I saw my first comic-action 350, I was amazed.  never saw anything like it.  Was intensely curious about the skeleton superman.  Of course I didnt even know who superman was.  did you guys have a similar amazed curiosity about your first book?

The first comic I remember getting as a kid was Ghost Rider #1, Johnny Blaze, not Carter Slade.  I don’t have it anymore…no photos.  I sold it before I heard about CGC.  I do have the Carter Slade Ghost Rider #1 slab now…signed even.  That was purchased earlier this year.

I'm almost sure it was ASM #139 or Avengers #130. I almost immediately started buying a bunch of Marvel titles, and there were so many from that particular era that came out really close together. I knew Wolverine was cool when I bought Hulk 180 & 181, and a few months later he was on the cover of a new Giant Size X-Men, so I thought I would try it. Then X-Men 94 came out a few weeks later, so I got it, too. I had $1.50 invested those 4 comics and never expected they would be worth thousands of dollars someday. Wolverine was the coolest looking character I had ever seen, though.

Since I started reading Marvel, I was used to the continuing stories. I was only 8-10 years old, but the current DC comics I tried reading seemed so corny compared to Marvel. The difference was night and day.

The first I remember getting was an issue of Transformers UK (we actually got both over here, that got confusing, leading to me getting some of the same stories twice). It was an iconic cover, part of the Target:2006 storyline, of Galvatron on top of a truck Ultra Magnus gauging his internals out. Very well known cover among TF fans. Geoff Senior, iirc. 

I didn't know what it was, but this was different to the normal stories, more frantic. I'd discovered the Furman-done UK exclusive stories. 

I had some comics from 1980, though the first book I bought after seeing it on the newsstand was Wolverine MS 1.  Don't know why, didn't really know who he was...saw it and had to buy it, and I remember the moment like it was yeaterday even though it was literally 40 years ago.  I bought the rest of the series off the newsstand as well (and I still have the copies...fun the  2,3,4 are of course CPVs ;) ).  That's the book that really ignited my lifelong love for comic books.