• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Decided to Quit Commissions from Artists…
1 1

63 posts in this topic

On 7/6/2022 at 12:42 AM, Nexus said:

we're then back to square one here with the agita.

Takes me back to holidays at my Nonna's house. 

On 7/6/2022 at 2:06 AM, D2 said:

Well I appreciate that. And I don’t take it personally. I never did, it’s just the harsh reality of a system that I cannot win. It’s okay, but at the same time, I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t angry and disappointed about it and as much as you may not like to hear about me groaning on and complaining about it, that’s how I feel when I come to the reality that I’ll never get a commission. That’s what happens when someone gets to a conclusion where they are forced to quit and turn in a different direction. 

Felix, I said this to you before and I meant it, you’re in a great position and I wish you nothing but prosperity. 

So rather than resent you, all I have left is, complain about it, clear my plate, and walk away angry and annoyed. I don’t hate you or swear at you or ever talk poorly of you, but I certainly won’t be talking highly of how I can’t get connected to an artist I admired.

After 3 years, pft, I’m just a fool for not moving on. I can now stop anxiously looking at my emails, and collect something, someone else. 

Well yeah, if you're this worked up, its not for you.    Buy a piece on the aftermarket or collect something else (at least, that's what I would do in your shoes).   

Where's that line?   Well, I guess when it stops being fun and starts being stressful, and it sounds like you've crossed that line.

On 7/6/2022 at 8:06 AM, comix4fun said:

Takes me back to holidays at my Nonna's house. 

Yeah my weekend drives up to Peakskill in our 73 Buick and the smell of Aunt Roses boiled cabbage with an accompanying frying pan full of hot spices. Just thinking about it gets the same phantom gut  and chest pains dancing.

Slap in a dash of being the only Met fan in a Yankee household. “Why don’t you take that *%£!*g hat off?” :(

Edited by grapeape

Bad luck, bad timing, too costly, artist goes MIA, whatever.  And that's all before you get the commission.  You may not even like it.  I'm still hoping for a commission that I paid for in 2002.  Another artist has owed me commissions since 2007.  There are exceptions but I've never been into lining up or camping out (online / in person) for anything.  There are exceptions but I also don't feel committed to get something because I've already put in the effort to camp out.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned so far... given the competition at the art drops and commission openings, I'm sure artists and reps have considered raising prices to equalize the supply/demand.  I think there's been comment in some topic about Albert's price increases for Bruce Timm art.  And I'm really surprised the market can absorb so much Jim Lee art. 

But remember one thing, if you don't play the game, you'll never win.  Or as the lottery ads say, "you've got to be in it to win it".  Keep trying for your commissions.  Someone's going to get them, why not you ?

This all sounds more like a reasoin to quit collecting OA than quit comissions...

I honestly dislike the roll-of-the-dice aspect to commissions; you're paying for an unknown quantity. 

Edited by SuperBird

On 7/5/2022 at 5:19 AM, Nexus said:

A couple of notes on DWJ and art from our site in general...

-- HeroesCon 2022 was the first time we've taken a pre-show sketch list that was open to attendees only. Prior to this, we had taken lists at the show OR taken them pre-show, but also made them available via mail-order.

-- We last opened a proper commission list for Daniel in 2020. We took 50 requests then. We could have taken a LOT more, but took as many as we could within reason. Tried to accommodate as many as possible.

-- His art is simply in high demand. Extremely high demand. I just counted and since 2016, we've dropped 1548 pieces of art for Daniel. All of them have sold. (Everything sold prior to 2016 has been deleted from the site, otherwise that number would be even higher.) You can see for yourself in his gallery: https://www.felixcomicart.com/ArtistGalleryTitles.asp?ArtistId=576

-- Whenever the site receives an order, I'm notified via e-mail. There'd been some wonkiness with this recently, so Bill Cox (who admins my site), bcc'd himself to try to troubleshoot. So whenever there's a drop, he personally experiences the flood of e-mails that arrive. Go to 2:57 of his recent YouTube show:

He notes that he received over 250 requests for our Nick Pitarra/AX-WIELDER JON drop. There were 29 pieces for that drop. So almost 10 requests for every piece. That means most people who requested a piece, did not get one.

I use that as an example because Daniel's drop are even crazier. Hence, more people will not get anything than those who will.

-- Also, although I try to answer all e-mails as fast as possible, sometimes it does take a while. This is not a perfect system, but I do my best. And I believe it is still the fairest system.

-- We know that if we were to auction commission/sketch spots, we'd do a lot better. A con sketch, for example, was just auctioned for $1700 at Heroes. We know of proper commissions that have sold for $10K+. As it stands now, though, we'd still like to make these opportunities available to everyone, and not just the highest bidders.

From my side of the table, for whatever that's worth.

I was the underbidder on that 1700 commission and only stopped because I realized it was my friend bidding against me from the other side of the room not knowing it was me lol. Funny thing Felix it was exactly what I asked for when I tried to get on his list for Heroes but was to late lol. You going to terrificon? Any pre show list coming?

There is no doubt Felix is the best in the biz when it comes to balancing artist benefit and fan demand. I have never personally participated in a drop but have plenty of friends who have, and it seems to be the most fair and equitable option.

I have purchased several pieces from him outside of drop. For any new collector getting into the hobby, his artist lineup is top notch, and he has a solid offering or art in a variety of price ranges. 

OP - I think you either need to be more creative in your chase or put in a bit more effort.   I was able to get DWJ this past weekend for a friend pretty easily and i probably couldve gotten another one (or two) given how slow the show was.   Keep an eye on his social media, figure out where he is attending and try for other means to getting some of his art vs the highly competitive drops.  

On 7/13/2022 at 1:41 PM, Andahaion said:

I couldn't even get the request to process!  Oh well, somehow I won a DWJ Wonder Woman: Dead Earth page at that drop.  I've no idea.  I think that's the only time I've won at these drops.

EDIT- 

I ended up with 3 WW pages, and bought a Beta Ray Bill page before I even saw what I clicked on, but otherwise I strike out on the drops. 

Edited by SuperBird

On Wednesday, I opened up Daniel Warren Johnson's sketch list to my newsletter subscribers. There were 10 spots available at $500 each for a 6X9 sketch. The first 10 people to submit their request through the site would make the list.

I have to manually disable the listing on my site in order to close the opportunity. I tried to do it as quickly as I could, but the site was running slow, even on the backend. It took me one minute from the listing going live to close it.

In that single minute, we received 132 unique requests. For 10 spots. We actually received a much higher number of total requests, if we would include people who submitted their request multiple times. In terms of individual unique requests, though, it was 132. I counted. Bill Cox can verify. Who knows how much higher that number would have been if I had waited longer to close the listing?

All to illustrate the difficulty in getting a sketch from DWJ. And the difficulty for us in making everyone happy.

On 7/16/2022 at 9:53 PM, J.Sid said:

You need to teach that guy how to draw with his other hand too, so you guys can double his output.

I forgot to mention: It was 132 requests that were logged by the site in the first minute. There were apparently many, many more collectors who weren't even able to successfully submit their requests because they got error messages. So that number would be even higher than 132 if the site could have handled it. So even drawing with two hands wouldn't solve this issue.

Another illustration of how crazy all this has been: When we announced the opportunity, I was offered $500 to guarantee a spot on the list by a collector. Meaning, I would get paid $1000 total. $500 for the sketch, and $500to keep for the "favor". I declined. I appreciate how much this person wants one, but that's not how we do things. He then tried at the drop with everyone else. He was unsuccessful. He asked me afterward where he placed. So I counted. He was 130 out of 132.

On 7/17/2022 at 2:29 AM, Nexus said:

I forgot to mention: It was 132 requests that were logged by the site in the first minute. There were apparently many, many more collectors who weren't even able to successfully submit their requests because they got error messages. So that number would be even higher than 132 if the site could have handled it. So even drawing with two hands wouldn't solve this issue.

Another illustration of how crazy all this has been: When we announced the opportunity, I was offered $500 to guarantee a spot on the list by a collector. Meaning, I would get paid $1000 total. $500 for the sketch, and $500to keep for the "favor". I declined. I appreciate how much this person wants one, but that's not how we do things. He then tried at the drop with everyone else. He was unsuccessful. He asked me afterward where he placed. So I counted. He was 130 out of 132.

If you have that many requests and people are offering you a 100% markup to fulfill a request, then the solution is to raise prices accordingly out of respect for the artist's worth.

Edited by Race

On 7/17/2022 at 6:06 AM, Race said:

If you have that many requests and people are offering you a 100% markup to fulfill a request, then the solution is to raise prices accordingly out of respect for the artist's worth.

No offense Race but I think Felix has this figured out perfectly.