• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage September 2022 comic and art auction
3 3

597 posts in this topic

On 8/1/2022 at 9:20 AM, comix4fun said:

Holy Cow!!

Is that a guitar he's smashing? 

I think we've discovered the Historic First Prototype Bluto from Animal House Page!!
He's in a sorta-kinda Toga too!!!!
Birth of the Smashed Guitar! Origin of the Toga Party!!

492152792_AnimalHousePrototypePage.thumb.png.0e3414d933f5241586710011dfd069b7.png

I was thinking more this

4CB341C0-135D-42B3-B7B4-7324E4CDDA72.jpeg

On 7/10/2022 at 12:50 AM, Lorne.T said:

When I was at SDCC this was in one of the display cases and it was a piece I noticed got a lot of 👀 

On 8/3/2022 at 9:33 AM, grapeape said:

When I was at SDCC this was in one of the display cases and it was a piece I noticed got a lot of 👀 

The cover to that issue sold on Ebay back around 2006, in an auction format. I tried to buy it, but the seller said he already had gotten a knockout offer and sold it. Wild guess, I am thinking he was probably offered around 8k to 10k for it at that time, which was probably around 6k more then he thought it would fetch. I purchased that issue off the newsstands back in the day, and the story left an impression on me. I think it did with a lot of us youngsters.

I am not much into OA anymore, neither comics, part of the reason is the price levels, yet I may actually bid on that page. I will probably not win it though, because I think the current prices on most material is absolutely unhinged, I think anyone who purchased stuff in the last couple of years, if they are looking to make a profit, they ought to sell soon, like in the next six months or so. I cannot in any universe, this one or any other reality, see prices not plummeting. Across all collectible markets.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:27 AM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

The cover to that issue sold on Ebay back around 2006, in an auction format. I tried to buy it, but the seller said he already had gotten a knockout offer and sold it. Wild guess, I am thinking he was probably offered around 8k to 10k for it at that time, which was probably around 6k more then he thought it would fetch. I purchased that issue off the newsstands back in the day, and the story left an impression on me. I think it did with a lot of us youngsters.

I wish you could’ve got it back then. It’s tough to just miss out on a piece that means something to you.

On 8/3/2022 at 10:37 AM, Humpty-Dumpty said:

I am not much into OA anymore, neither comics, part of the reason is the price levels, yet I may actually bid on that page. I will probably not win it though, because I think the current prices on most material is absolutely unhinged, I think anyone who purchased stuff in the last couple of years, if they are looking to make a profit, they ought to sell soon, like in the next six months or so. I cannot in any universe, this one or any other reality, see prices not plummeting. Across all collectible markets.

If all the people who bought in the last few years were to panic and flood the market with that same “unfresh” material we’ve seen auctioned off, they most certainly would contribute to a sky is falling mentality. 

Lets hope on some level those who bought actually love or at least appreciate the art for its own sake. I think it’s prudent to spend within your means. Or 

It sure feels like we entered into a recession. I’m begging you guys not to spend the next ten pages of this thread debating that point. I’m saying there is no reason to take part in a sell off blood bath should prices fall over the next number of years. You should have a few out strategies to get you and your family through whatever is coming. 
If you’re taking losses on recently bought (overbought?) art to offset the pressures of inflation/stagflation in your household you probably didn’t do this right.

Im optimistic that the bones of the art collecting foundation are strong and I can see cooling off but not collapse

*caution grapeape is not a financial advisor just a guy with some time on his hands and a keyboard close by. Reading these comments can cause side effects including itchy palms, sweaty brow and an unquenchable thirst for watching cartoon shows starring apes. 🍇 🦍 

On 8/4/2022 at 8:29 AM, grapeape said:

If all the people who bought in the last few years were to panic and flood the market with that same “unfresh” material we’ve seen auctioned off, they most certainly would contribute to a sky is falling mentality. 

Lets hope on some level those who bought actually love or at least appreciate the art for its own sake. I think it’s prudent to spend within your means. Or 

It sure feels like we entered into a recession. I’m begging you guys not to spend the next ten pages of this thread debating that point. I’m saying there is no reason to take part in a sell off blood bath should prices fall over the next number of years. You should have a few out strategies to get you and your family through whatever is coming. 
If you’re taking losses on recently bought (overbought?) art to offset the pressures of inflation/stagflation in your household you probably didn’t do this right.

Im optimistic that the bones of the art collecting foundation are strong and I can see cooling off but not collapse

*caution grapeape is not a financial advisor just a guy with some time on his hands and a keyboard close by. Reading these comments can cause side effects including itchy palms, sweaty brow and an unquenchable thirst for watching cartoon shows starring apes. 🍇 🦍 

Everything you said is logical, and therein lies the problem. When people become anxious and fearful, logic goes out the window. Additionally, no one can say what the percentage of OA collectors who purchased within their means and are finically stable and capable of weathering a storm, versus those who will need to sell off as the economy continues to crumble. I am of the mind that the dollar is going to lose its reserve status, and that the true inflation rates right now are closer to 20% and may reach in the 40% neighborhood. Couple that with rising interest rates, and I'd say we are heading into possible depression territory. If that does occur, then any pretense of procuring and maintaining an OA collection very quickly falls to low priority status. 

Edited by Humpty-Dumpty
wordage

On 8/5/2022 at 2:31 AM, drdonaldblake1 said:

I'd love for these crazy high prices to fall by 50% or more then I'd actually be in with a shot at acquiring some OA to keep and not flip

But, if prices fell by more than 50%, I don’t think you’d be seeing the breadth and depth of the quality pieces that have come to market recently.  

Agreed. I think the reason we have seen such an incredible gold rush of top tier OA is pricing was enticing enough to draw out some of the black hole collectors. There may also be an age component as well given many collectors are approaching retirement and could be looking to cash out.

On 8/4/2022 at 10:52 PM, Xatari said:

In that scenario, OA and commodities would actually be one of the safer places  to have one’s wealth. Just saying. :)

No they won't, at least not during an ensuing crisis such as that. Which is where many would most want to, need to, cash out. OA will not escape the general economic conditions in such a scenario. Certain commodities may weather that storm, but quite a few won't. 

OA has global demand so no matter which economies/currencies are doing well, there is some insulation. The event you’re describing is global catastrophe. The world is too connected. I don’t expect doom and gloom.