• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Earliest (2-4th) appearances of major characters, how did Spider-Man get shafted like this?
2 2

11 posts in this topic

Hey everyone,

Likely this topic has been covered before, but it still seems relevant, and at the very least deserving of an updated conversation.

There seems to be a very outdated hierarchy of the first and earliest appearances of A list superheroes notated on CGC labels. Looking at the big two GA characters: Superman gets as high as the 4th appearance listed on Action Comics 4, but Spider-Man doesn't even get his 2nd appearance notated on ASM 1?

• Action Comics 1-4 list Superman's 1st - 4th appearances.
  • Detective Comics 27 & 28 list Batman's 1st and 2nd appearances. 29 says 2nd Batman cover, but not 3rd Batman.
  • Fantastic Four 1 & 2 lists 1st and 2nd appearance of the FF.
  • X-Men 1 & 2 lists 1st and 2nd appearance of the X-Men.
  • Tales of Suspense 39 & 40 lists Iron Man's 1st and 2nd appearances.
  • Daredevil 1 & 2 lists 1st and 2nd appearance of Daredevil. 2 even lists the 2nd appearance of Electro.
  • Amazing Fantasy lists Spider-Man's 1st appearance.

So how did Spider-Man get shafted like this? It seems silly that a 2nd tier villain like Electro gets his 2nd appearance notated on DD2, but Spiderman doesn't get his on ASM1.

I think that, at the very least, Detective Comics 29 should be updated to include Batman's 3rd appearance, and ASM 1 & 2 should get updated to say Spider-Man's 2nd & 3rd appearance. If it's about popularity, both characters have far more pull than Superman - so I'd even argue as far that they deserve to get equal treatment (up to 4th appearances notated) but it's good to start somewhere.

And to clear the air ---- if it's about a lack of space on the right side of the top of the label, the "1st, 2nd, 3rd & 4th appearance" should take priority over literally anything else. So for example: ASM 1 needs to drop either "1st Fantastic Four crossover" or "Spider-Man origin retold" to make room for "2nd appearance of Spider-Man".

@CGC Mike Is this something that you can help with?

Edited by Phill the Governor

On 7/9/2022 at 7:58 PM, CGC Mike said:

I can pass your message along to the team.  No guarantees, though.  

Thank you Mike.

At the very leastI was hoping the team would be asked why Superman has 1-4th first appearances shown and Spider-Man only has his 1st and its a good starting discussion despite where it may lead.

On 7/10/2022 at 8:28 AM, shadroch said:

Does the OP feel that the 2nd App of Spiderman is more historic than the 1st FF Crossover? 

In short... I do. 1st and 2nd appearances should be the most important notation a character can have, followed by origin, followed by death, and then other relevant information important to the story- like the first cross over. It seems reasonable to have 2nd appearance before 1st cross over because without the 2nd appearance a cross over wouldn't even happen.

Edited by Phill the Governor

Regardless of how I feel about any of these characters, I do agree that better standardization and continuity of terms used is paramount.

I find appearance designations for one company are not replicated for another on labels, for example we have "1st Marvel villain team-up" on Fantastic Four #6...but where is the one for DC comics, or any other major publisher for that matter? (Spoiler: For DC it's More Fun Comics #70, and I've tried to get CGC to acknowledge this but with no response - even when I've mailed the book in with print out notes/evidence/links to confirm it)

On 7/11/2022 at 12:13 PM, CGC Mike said:

This is what was done:

I added 2nd appearance to Spidey #1, 3rd appearance to Spidey #2, and Batman’s 3rd appearance to Detective #29.

Sweeeeeet VICTORY!

On 7/16/2022 at 10:04 PM, Albert Thurgood said:

Good work @CGC Mike. Nice to see such a quick response to a suggestion on the forum.

Indeed!

Thank you Mike!

Do you happen to know how soon this change would take effect/ would be be updated on the census pages for each book first before being printed on any labels?

On 7/9/2022 at 12:23 PM, Phill the Governor said:

It seems silly that a 2nd tier villain like Electro gets his 2nd appearance notated on DD2, but Spiderman doesn't get his on ASM1.

http://www.cgcdata.com/cgc/search/isolateid/11679

8th Legion of Super-Heroes appearance.

Edited by valiantman

• Administrator
On 7/17/2022 at 3:29 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Thank you Mike!

Do you happen to know how soon this change would take effect/ would be be updated on the census pages for each book first before being printed on any labels?

It was my understanding that it would go into effect immediately, and any future labels will include the updated information.

Strange Tales Annual 2 should really include that information as well. Being the 4th appearance of Spider-Man is the most notable thing about the book

Tales of Suspense 49 features the first solo watcher in addition to the 3rd appearance of the X-Men. I don't believe either of those is particularly well-known, despite their obvious importance.