• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Werewolves By Night…WWBN 1 & Marvel Spotlight 2 -Jack Russell Thread
2 2

49 posts in this topic

WWBN 1 is the Jack Russel’s 4th appearance and has a cool picture frame cover. Why then is WWBN 1 a more difficult book to find in 9.0 or higher that Marvel Spotlight 2 and WWBN 32? Are high grade 9.0 and above copies of WWBN 1 out there but the demand isn’t great enough relative to MS 2 and WWBN 32? Thanks for any insight!

John

Edited by bronze johnny

On 7/10/2022 at 10:33 PM, bronze johnny said:

Great book Jay! Now give us some of your expert insight and thoughts about why this book isn’t as available in higher grades as the others. 

Like @KirbyJack said, they are out there. I’m sure of it. In fact, because WBN had the benefit of appearing in Spotlight, his first solo series issue was anticipated and most likely collected in abundance. When it is announced that he will eventually make his appearance in the MCU, copies will start to magically show up.

On 7/11/2022 at 6:30 AM, namisgr said:

With 140 copies in the current CGC census graded 9.4 or higher, it's hard to think of WWBN #1 as being scarce in high grade.  That number compares to 100 for Spotlight #2 and 131 for Spotlight #5.  Generally, horror comics had smaller print runs and sales than non-horror titles, including books with Ghost Rider who was as much superhero as a horror character, which may also contribute to fewer high grade copies having survived.

Here's the copy I used to own as part of the slabbed picture frame collection.  I was and continue to be a big fan of Ploog's horror art:

image.thumb.png.14924122ddde6d1966d5c64294a565d3.png

Beautiful copy!

On 7/11/2022 at 11:30 AM, namisgr said:

With 140 copies in the current CGC census graded 9.4 or higher, it's hard to think of WWBN #1 as being scarce in high grade.  That number compares to 100 for Spotlight #2 and 131 for Spotlight #5.  Generally, horror comics had smaller print runs and sales than non-horror titles, including books with Ghost Rider who was as much superhero as a horror character, which may also contribute to fewer high grade copies having survived.

Here's the copy I used to own as part of the slabbed picture frame collection.  I was and continue to be a big fan of Ploog's horror art:

image.thumb.png.14924122ddde6d1966d5c64294a565d3.png

Me too, I lost interest in this title when Ploog left, same with Man-Thing and Ghost Rider, not so much with Frankenstein because of JB's art, it didn't seem to take such of a downward spiral as the others.