• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Highest graded copy of 2000 AD Prog #2 CGC 9.0!!! First Judge Dredd!!!
4 4

64 posts in this topic

On 12/4/2022 at 2:34 PM, jaja-mon12 said:

Congrats my friend!!!^^ I'm happy for ya!!! Hopefully this will lure some more hg copies out into the open and submit for CGC grading! Truly rare key issue for sure!hm(thumbsu

Thanks!! I was pleased with it. Looks better in real life than in the pics. I think more will surface, but tough to get with the tattoos, for sure.

On 7/14/2022 at 5:02 PM, jaja-mon12 said:

Hey All :cool:,

I just wanted to share this highest graded copy on the CGC census (1 other copy as well) of one of the most iconic cult figures in the past 40+ years!!! 'The Dude with the 'tude!!! I got this back a few weeks ago. Enjoy my friends!!!:wink:

EC19A962-85B7-4A12-B322-1B2B7F5FF211.jpeg

5C67D749-EEED-498C-817E-A543979A7A72.jpeg

Man I want this!  Does this copy have the stickers?  I have #76 I think it is coming from England but shipping is taking forever. 

On 1/8/2023 at 2:23 PM, EMazman said:

Man I want this!  Does this copy have the stickers?  I have #76 I think it is coming from England but shipping is taking forever. 

Sorry buddy, this sold last year on HA for $22,800. A CGC 9.4 sold a couple of weeks ago on HA for a lil over $14K!!!:wink:

On 1/14/2023 at 10:07 AM, buttock said:

That 9.4 sale was shockingly low.  

Yes. it surprisingly was! I think what happened was when I sold mine there was only 4 graded copies in total, with mine being tied for the highest. When the 6.5 copy sold for $11.4K it doubly surprised everyone; first by the amount it sold for and secondly, 2000 AD #2 collectors/fans were not aware that CGC were now grading them. I capitalized off of both and that why I feel my copy sold for $22.8K as opposed to the recent 9.4 copy selling for a lil over $14K. There are now many more high-grade copies available with a 9.6 at the top!hm

On 1/13/2023 at 10:29 PM, jaja-mon12 said:

Sorry buddy, this sold last year on HA for $22,800. A CGC 9.4 sold a couple of weeks ago on HA for a lil over $14K!!!:wink:

Wow!  Yeah hard to find.  Mine #76 (1st Robohunter) is coming from UK.  Shipped in November but still not here.  Royal Mail strike may have screwed me. Seller will refund me though if I never get it. 

Does anyone know how CGC will grade a copy of 2000 AD #2 without the stickers (qualified or universal)?  I have a pretty beat up copy of #2 without the stickers and not sure how it will be graded and if it's even worth it to send in.  Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!

Without stickers would be graded as qualified - it seems the copy below was on eBay last year. I don't know whether it sold.

The market hasn't yet settled on prices for 2000AD prog 2. Rough (ungraded) copies have recently gone on eBay for prices in the low hundreds of pounds so it may be worth a punt but its unpredictable. There isn't the past volume of sales of CGC-graded copies to reliably predict future (or even current) values.

s-l1600.jpg.39fa3ccd6483a2f8b4f7693e98975038.jpg

Edited by Drokkit
Tidying

On 2/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, Drokkit said:

Without stickers would be graded as qualified: 

The market hasn't yet settled on prices for 2000AD prog 2. Rough (ungraded) copies have gone on eBay for prices in the low hundreds of pounds so it may be worth a punt but its unpredictable. There isn't the past volume of sales of CGC-graded copies to reliably predict future (or even current) values.

Thanks for the info!  GoCollect doesn't have any past sale data for qualified copies so it's tough to determine the value.  You mentioned that rough ungraded copies have sold for a couple hundred pounds so I'll probably hold off on getting mine graded.  I'm not a member of GPA but I'd be curious to know if they have any sales data for qualfied copies.  Thanks again!

(thumbsu I think you're probably right to hold off getting a poorer copy graded if it's without the stickers. I've had my eye on the market for 2000AD (especially prog 2) for 20-odd years and there are an awful lot of them out there in lower grades. Given the recent prices realised on Heritage for graded copies (and ebay too, though ungraded sales predominate) people will be hoping to cash in so I'd expect the numbers on census to rise steeply over the next 12 months. I anticipate that only those with decent (perhaps 6.5+) stickered copies will make a good return though; at least until the mooted TV series comes to fruition or even better Dredd 2! Then there's the 50th anniversary in 2027...

Edited by Drokkit
Tidying

Again, it's hard to say yet. There are only three graded copies listed so far but plenty of ungraded ones out there, most in VG condition at best. Dredd only appeared as an advert in prog 1 (below) and prices for ungraded copies are lower than prog 2. Prog 1 came with a plastic 'space spinner' which, I understand, can not be encapsulated with the comic like prog 2's biotronic stickers. The spinner came taped to the front of the comic and taking it off to chuck around the garden usually caused damage in the form of ink removal, tape reside or a tear; I can only recall ever seeing one copy for sale that seemed to be unmarked. Sadly, I didn't buy it :facepalm:

Judge_Dredd_advert_in_1977.jpg

Edited by Drokkit
More info

Still curious about the stickers, were they originally loose or somehow attached to the book?  Every pic I've ever seen has the stickers loose.  Would the condition of the stickers be factored into the overall grade of the book?  So many questions.

I have the book and the stickers, would love to get them graded.  I always thought this book was terribly undervalued, looks like that is changing now.

Edited by PINWHEEL

They were just loosely inserted into the comic, not taped or stapled in. Surely one of the most fun free gifts ever, inspired no doubt by the 6 Million Dollar Man. I can't answer as to how the condition of the stickers contributes to an overall grade but you'd imagine it must be factored in. Values of this key are certainly rising, a far-from-perfect ungraded copy with the stickers fetched £1600 on ebay earlier this month.

Edited by Drokkit

Two other early key 200ADs that could have good investment potential for Dreddheads:

Prog 5 - first Dredd cover, art by Barrie Mitchell. Fairly easy to get hold of, decent ungraded copies around £25 and up. No free gift.

5.jpg.1316d78d077357b3c0eeaf6b43c3896e.jpg

Prog 3 - 2nd Dredd strip inside, cover art by Ramon Sola. This issue presented with a free 'Red Alert Code Wallet' which came as a flat sheet. A fine, ungraded copy with unmade gift sold on eBay for £600 in January.

3.jpg.7e9f384aa8033f12eb7cdc675db8e834.jpg

Both images c/o BARNEY, an amazing fan-generated resource for all things 2000AD!

Edited by Drokkit