• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention 2023 ( CalComicCon )
4 4

146 posts in this topic

On 9/13/2022 at 1:50 PM, shortboxed said:

Hey everyone, Gene from Shortboxed here. As Terry mentioned, we're helping produce this show - the best comics-only show IMHO :) 

You can expect the same experience as all the previous years, and it's in the same hotel as last time. We'll also be hosting a Preview Night comic swap on Sat Feb 4th from 5-8pm in the hotel after the dealers finish setting up. Even though the comic swap isn't in a brewery anymore, there will be a bar and we're still picking up the bar tab during the comic swap :cheers:

Tickets are officially available now: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/cal-comic-con-2023-tickets-394110915357

That is the official and only link to purchase tickets to Cal Comic Con.

A few important details to note:

• There are VERY limited hotel rooms available, even less double rooms. Once double rooms sell out, only single rooms will be available. If you only see single rooms left and want a double, you can book the single room and call the hotel to ask if they can switch it to a double if they have any available. This way you can still book under the convention rate.
  • There are only 100 tickets available to Preview Night, and you must purchase a "Preview Night + Main Event" ticket to attend. We're limited by capacity, and with Preview Night attendees plus all the dealers and staff, we'll be around ~150 people. For context, last Preview Night had <100 people total and the brewery one before that had around ~75 people.
  • If you want a table during Preview Night, please email me at gene@shortboxed.com - don't DM me. There are only a dozen or so tables left (about 30 total) and I'll be assigning them on a first come first serve basis and will keep a backup list in case people drop out. As with previous years, tables are half-size 3' table space, which can fit 3 short boxes side by side. It's not a full booth setup. Tables are $40.
  • If any dealers here are interested in setting up at the Main Event on Sunday, unfortunately there aren't any dealer booths left - virtually every single dealer from previous years is returning, and Terry has a long waitlist.

I'll continue to post more updates in this thread as we get closer to the show. So happy it's back! 

Gene,

Only convention hotel rates are for 2020 on the calcomiccon website.  Where are convention hotel rates available?

On 9/16/2022 at 6:39 AM, BitterOldMan said:

Gene,

Only convention hotel rates are for 2020 on the calcomiccon website.  Where are convention hotel rates available?

https://www.marriott.com/event-reservations/reservation-link.mi?id=1661271976076&key=GRP&app=resvlink

Got my tickets, looking forward to this one! Highly encourage everyone to attend the Comic Swap/Preview Night. Great opportunitty to socialize/network AND get some good deals from private collectors. I had set up at the last show at the swap and had a blast! Won't be doing this one, as I don't have the premium inventory anymore :cheers:

I’m going to check it out. Haven’t been to a WC show since I was young. Never went to SDCC, and I lived in Chula Vista 6 years.

On 9/20/2022 at 12:51 PM, Robot Man said:

You will love it but bring a full wallet. Lots of big dealers but lots of smaller dealers like me. I love that it is a one day show. The room is simply “electric”. Tons of quality books. If you see something you want buy it. Because if you don’t the guy right behind you probably will. Probably one of the best one day shows in the country. 

I’m looking forward to it…There’s a couple of outstanding one day shows in my geographic area twice a year (Charlotte, Atlanta). 

On 10/20/2022 at 2:17 PM, zzutak said:

A-1 Comics will be there with oodles of never-before-seen Gold-Silver-Bronze-Copper from the Winters Collection, and a ton of Moderns from the recently-acquired Chico Collection (85 long-boxes of high-grade newsstand variants :whatthe: ).  Wait -- you mean there are still boxes from this past April's Winters find that haven't been picked over yet?  Heck yeah!  Do you know how long it takes to catalog/grade/price 50,000 books?  :pullhair:

Winters Collection looks awesome!