• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

California Comic Convention 2023 ( CalComicCon )
4 4

146 posts in this topic

My first time going. Glad that I went…I had a good time. Bought a few cheap raw books which made the trip worthwhile, and picked up a book for a friend from Harley.

The half mile walk back and forth from my hotel to the festivities was a welcome bit of exercise, until it wasn’t. 

Nice seeing @greggy,  @joeypost,  @Gsims718,  @ciorac

I recognized a few other faces, and probably walked by a whole slew of Boardees and didn’t even know it.

I was the dork with the little flashlight 🫣

Edited by djpinkpanther67

Had a great time catching up with friends here and just admiring the great selection. Wasn’t able to finalize any deals to upgrade my books; either the copies in the room were just too high of a grade, or too high in price. Despite coming home empty handed, I was just happy to in a room amongst friends and comics.

Parking was simple/free, as I just parked across the street at South Coast Plaza. There were ample spots right at the corner of Bristol and Anton, just had to use the crosswalk and you were at the hotel. X marked the location I was at.

1F659048-2E74-4567-8F9F-CD01D78CEF56.thumb.jpeg.bebf0f42dcacd83bba9d91dc236c1d8a.jpeg

On 2/6/2023 at 7:05 AM, Aarrow108 said:

Had a great time catching up with friends here and just admiring the great selection. Wasn’t able to finalize any deals to upgrade my books; either the copies in the room were just too high of a grade, or too high in price. Despite coming home empty handed, I was just happy to in a room amongst friends and comics.

Parking was simple/free, as I just parked across the street at South Coast Plaza. There were ample spots right at the corner of Bristol and Anton, just had to use the crosswalk and you were at the hotel. X marked the location I was at.

1F659048-2E74-4567-8F9F-CD01D78CEF56.thumb.jpeg.bebf0f42dcacd83bba9d91dc236c1d8a.jpeg

The lot directly next to the hotel was free on Sunday. Dealers even got validation passes but wern’t even needed. Thanks to Terry. 

On 2/5/2023 at 5:08 PM, nearmint said:

Thanks for the video. Really captures the buzz and spirit of the show. So many beautiful books. I can’t imagine someone not going home with something.

I only got to shop for a couple hours on Sat but had no trouble finding a few gems. Only about 2/3rds of the dealers were set up. I had to get to work in my booth so I missed some folks I would have liked to see and buy from.

One of the best things about this show is hanging out with friends and escaping reality for a while.

I would have to think, this is one of the best one day shows in the country. With the great weather and relaxed CA vibe, would be well worth a little winter vacation trip.

The fact that is a one day show is awsome. Really helps sales from a dealer perspective. Smart buyers step up. If you put a cool book back it is usually snapped up quick. I had a couple people hem and haw then hand it back. Twice there was someone right behind them snatch it and the first guy did the walk of regret.

One of the best shows I’ve done in many years. Trouble is, I’m pretty cleaned out. Will have to do some serious buying to replace my boxes…:devil:

Emerging from semi-retirement to say a couple of things about this show:

• Amazing, lots of deals if you asked, even made a few trades for good stuff - great job, Terry
  • Anyone need a Savage Tales #1? It seemed like just about every dealer had multiples
  • Anyone need a Malibu Sun #13? Same deal

My impressions of the show are....

Comic swap on Saturday:  Lots of comics, crowded, noisy...some wheeling and dealing in the lobby.

Convention on Sunday:  Lots of comics, very crowded...some wheeling and dealing inside and outside the room!

My only pic of the weekend is of a couple of board members having a good time!

IMG_0823.JPG

Edited by Bumble Kitty

Thanks to @Aarrow108 I got my Marv Wolfman sigs on three books witnessed and submitted by the Desert Wind Comics crew, who were wonderful and super busy, I was amazed at seeing all the people there. 

I got to meet one of my ALL TIME favorites. I was the shameless Nightwing fan with shirt and matching mask. I almost said to myself, "I'll catch him at Wondercon or something" but thankfully changed my mind.

The worst part was when I saw a print of a Sheldon Moldoff Robin and Bat-Hound, asked the gentlemen how much, says to me it was 8...I said I'll take it.

Turns out...it was an original piece and not 8 bucks but $800!! Biggest facepalm ever...apologized and left feeling embarrassed beyond belief. All in all it was great...random Liefeld out in the wild was great too.

On 2/6/2023 at 11:32 AM, davidtere said:

I had a good time and filled in a spot on my want list (sorry about the camera glare). Good to see (and hang out with) my good friend @Dr. Lovewho introduced me to @Robot Man

Saw a bunch of the San Diego guys, hung out with friends, spent time with Scott Shaw!, had a chance to kick some boxes, find a few (more) comics...an overall great time. Glad that the show is back.

IMG_4496.jpeg

Nice book! Sorry I didn’t get to talk to you. I was busier than a one armed paper hanger all day!