• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM #1 or X-Men #1
3 3

ASM #1 or X-Men #1  

104 members have voted

1. 1. Which one do you buy all things being equal (grade, page quality..etc.)?

• ASM #1
    • X-Men #1

43 posts in this topic

ASM #1 is actually ASM #2. 

Amazing Fantasy #15 all day if that was the option

But the 1st appearance of JJ Jameson + Chameleon or the 1st Appearance of Mutants and the X-men is a not brainer.

If anything I prefer ASM #14 (which I have) over ASM #1.

I did have X-men #1 but sold it when I went off to college. It was at least a 5.0 so that sucks will never be able to afford of that nice again.

i have two xmen1 already, but need asm1 because i ignored it for so long, since it's not a major key book. 

if i did not already own them, xmen1 is the easy answer. first appearance of the coolest marvel team ever. asm1 is the first appearance of j jonah jameson. no contest. 

Edited by alexgross.com

X-Men #1 for me because that is one of the runs I collect and I don't have it, but even still I think it would be the same choice. 2c

On 7/17/2022 at 12:34 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

X-Men 1 for me.

Well, looks like Overstreet would tend to agree with you as he jacked the X-Men 1 up by a whopping 157% while Spidey 1 went up by only a paltry 14% in this year's edition that just came out today.  :gossip:

Seriously though, X-Men 1 for me and it's really a no-brainer from my POV since it's a first appearance and origin issue while Spidey 1 is not.  (thumbsu

On 7/21/2022 at 4:28 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

So where does X-Men 1 now rank in the top 10 in the new Overstreet guide?

Looks like it has jumped up 4 spots from the #8 position at $70K last year and now tied for the #4 spot with Showcase 4 at $180K.  :gossip: :Rocket:

Edited by lou_fine

All things being equal, I would buy 100 copies of ASM 1 before I’d even consider x-men 1.  The characters in Xmen 1 (except magneto, and Cyclops to a lesser extent) don’t resonate with me…no Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty, etc who were the main characters during the Xmen’s heyday for most collectors.

folks can point to this years price guide and note the price increase on Xmen 1 all they want, but that’s based on speculation the Xmen will become part of the MCU and if and when it does, the value of Xmen 1 will halt to a crawl, much like B&B 28 and Avengers 1 have done after their movies were released.

as for ASM 1, it’s only a matter of time before folks wake up and realize it’s significance once again.  prices will continue to increase, but at a more profound pace than we’ve seen over the past 7 or 8 years.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:19 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

All things being equal, I would buy 100 copies of ASM 1 before I’d even consider x-men 1.  The characters in Xmen 1 (except magneto, and Cyclops to a lesser extent) don’t resonate with me…no Wolverine, Storm, Nightcrawler, Colossus, Kitty, etc who were the main characters during the Xmen’s heyday for most collectors.

several people have made this argument. for me as a kid in the late 70s and early 80s reading the claremont/byrne/austin x-men, i worshipped the original team and the iconic cover of xmen1. they also incorporated all of the original characters into much of those storylines- beast and angel were both involved extensively. you are also forgetting jean grey/marvel girl/phoenix - an original character around whom the best story in comics at the time and for years after revolved.

you dont have to be into sandy koufax and don newcombe to be a dodger fan. x-men are timeless.