• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Fantastic Four #181 a top 5 valuable Fantastic Four comicbook?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

On 7/22/2022 at 2:20 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I assume you mean of the bronze age?

I'm not sure, but is a nice tagline for a cover :) 

Hi Adamantium.

I mean because its the only comic book cover ever... where on two hands "THE THING" has more than 4 fingers!

Edited by JohnCarter1912
clarification

On 7/22/2022 at 1:28 PM, JohnCarter1912 said:

Hi Adamantium.

I mean because its the only comic book cover ever... where "THE THING" has more than 4 fingers!

lol Thanks!! Its "extra" clobberin time :ohnoez: !!!

On 7/22/2022 at 3:01 PM, JohnCarter1912 said:

If a comic book's value is determined MOSTLY by rarity... and it is rare to find "THE THING" ever drawn with 5 fingers... then wouldn't "THE THING" being drawn with 5 fingers on a cover... have some bearing on comic book's value?

If something is as rare as only 2 in a million, but only 1 person cares about it at all, there is twice as much available (supply = 2) as the demand (1).  So there is no value.

On 7/22/2022 at 3:20 PM, Lightning55 said:

If something is as rare as only 2 in a million, but only 1 person cares about it at all, there is twice as much available (supply = 2) as the demand (1).  So there is no value.

Lightning55... but the rarity ratio is the same. Fantastic Four #181 cover with THE THING having 5 fingers... compared to every other Fantastic Four comic ever made with THE THING having 4 fingers... is the same rarity ratio.   

It's not important to anyone.  There are comics that have a word misspelled inside, or on the cover.  Maybe they should be rare.  There are first appearances of many characters no one cares about.  Maybe they should be rare, too.

Rarity will only translate to value when enough people have to have it, so much so that they are willing to pay a premium for it.  I don't see that happening here.

And whatever the print run was, there are that many of them out there.  Not rare.  Just an oddity.

On 7/22/2022 at 2:01 PM, JohnCarter1912 said:

If a comic book's value is determined MOSTLY by rarity... and it is rare to find "THE THING" ever drawn with 5 fingers... then wouldn't "THE THING" being drawn with 5 fingers on a cover... have some bearing on comic book's value?

Absolutely not. That is not what rarity means.

The basic premise is wrong, too, because I guarantee you there are a surprising number of comics that are both very rare (like ... less than 100 extant copies), and effectively valueless. But since the conclusion is, as they say, not even wrong...

On 7/22/2022 at 1:30 PM, JohnCarter1912 said:

Lightning55... but the rarity ratio is the same. Fantastic Four #181 cover with THE THING having 5 fingers... compared to every other Fantastic Four comic ever made with THE THING having 4 fingers... is the same rarity ratio.   

Sorry, few people care

On 7/22/2022 at 3:37 PM, Qalyar said:

Absolutely not. That is not what rarity means.

The basic premise is wrong, too, because I guarantee you there are a surprising number of comics that are both very rare (like ... less than 100 extant copies), and effectively valueless. But since the conclusion is, as they say, not even wrong...

WHOA... who said how many copies were issued is the only thing that makes a comic book rare? I am shocked by the seeming near-nearsightedness. (I am speaking to not one person in a non-offending way)

Superman #1 is rare not just because there are few copies remaining in high-grade! Superman #1 is rare because the character Superman stood the test of time! You mention Superman, and many people know what you are taking about. Compare this to countless comic book characters that were created that fell by the wayside.

Edited by JohnCarter1912

Based on the Superman #1 example, I do not think rare means what OP thinks it means.

I will, however, give him this — it’s a heckuva cover mistake considering the cover is by Kirby and Sinnott, who probably drew the Thing (together or separately) more than anyone else ever.

Its neat kinda like Batman not having a symbol on his chest on the cover of Batman #5, but of course a far more plentiful book due to age.