• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Fantastic Four #181 a top 5 valuable Fantastic Four comicbook?
1 1

55 posts in this topic

On 7/23/2022 at 10:37 AM, Engr62 said:

Many thanks to the OP.  I'm sitting on a gold mine and didn't even know it.  Plus, #172 has the ultra rare five-finger left hand and 4-finger right hand.

1083640299_Thing5-finger164.png.be620265939ed4c43aee92f6e42545f5.png634049339_Thing5-finger172.png.d04c61da196559f31faae96b3fcf86c1.png

and in #164 it looks like E.T. Phone Home Fingers!!

Extra! "extra!" very extra~ read all about it

You guys are being too hard on the OP.  I think he should follow his instincts and stock up on all the Whitmans of FF 181.  Don't let price slow you down, @JohnCarter1912.  You're way ahead of the curve and someday in the future, you'll be proved correct.  You've found your passion, don't let these get you down.  Focus only on FF 181 and don't buy any other books.  You got this.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:35 PM, Randall Dowling said:

You guys are being too hard on the OP.  I think he should follow his instincts and stock up on all the Whitmans of FF 181.  Don't let price slow you down, @JohnCarter1912.  You're way ahead of the curve and someday in the future, you'll be proved correct.  You've found your passion, don't let these get you down.  Focus only on FF 181 and don't buy any other books.  You got this.

I tell ya, it's nice to see one poster on here who hasn't succumbed to cynicism and snark.  You're a man amongst boys.  Well said!

I've often wondered what would happen if a small cadre of buyers started picking up a book nationwide.

lets pick a random book- Fantastic Four 223.  I've no ideas what is in it so hopefully it isn't hot.  

I hit a small show and clean out the dozen dealers who had it's stock. Later three or four people show up and ask about the book and no one has any.  That month, a hundred volunteers spread out and pick up as many FF 223s as they can find- in shops and at shows. In a month, each of the hundred conspirators has managed to buy 50 copies., so we have removed 5,000 copies of the book from circulation.  Will anyone notice?  Will the trend cause FF 223 to rise in value? Will word get out that FF223 is hot? How about after three months when we've removed 15,000 copies?  When a new customer walks into a shop and all he buys is the four copies of FF 223 in stock, will shop owners notice?  When people at shows start seeing others walking around with stacks of FF223, will they join the party? When dealers start seeing FF 223 fly out of their boxes, do they unload their backstock or do they start to hoard it.  

We just need 99 more people.

On 7/24/2022 at 10:01 AM, shadroch said:

I've often wondered what would happen if a small cadre of buyers started picking up a book nationwide.

lets pick a random book- Fantastic Four 223.  I've no ideas what is in it so hopefully it isn't hot.  

I hit a small show and clean out the dozen dealers who had it's stock. Later three or four people show up and ask about the book and no one has any.  That month, a hundred volunteers spread out and pick up as many FF 223s as they can find- in shops and at shows. In a month, each of the hundred conspirators has managed to buy 50 copies., so we have removed 5,000 copies of the book from circulation.  Will anyone notice?  Will the trend cause FF 223 to rise in value? Will word get out that FF223 is hot? How about after three months when we've removed 15,000 copies?  When a new customer walks into a shop and all he buys is the four copies of FF 223 in stock, will shop owners notice?  When people at shows start seeing others walking around with stacks of FF223, will they join the party? When dealers start seeing FF 223 fly out of their boxes, do they unload their backstock or do they start to hoard it.  

Currently at $.99 with 4 days to go

Get some!!!

01AAC726-4FB6-4F6D-8B27-622A8EAA178F.jpeg.be08f367257e4c6fb65c196bb5ca27ff.jpeg

I've thought about this as well--like stock manipulation.  I wonder if laws regarding stock manipulation extend to comics.  Interesting thought, though.

I think ebay would have to be manipulated- if it's possible to buy every copy that turns up- for anyone to really take notice. 

On 7/24/2022 at 7:01 AM, shadroch said:

Actually, I can think of books like that. The point is to keep the prices down while you try to find a copy you love. And then you can sell the extras. It only works for the undiscovered cool books. Fortunately, those still exist. Which is why a fair number of old school collectors keep their cards close to their chest on the books they are seeking.

On 7/22/2022 at 11:02 AM, JohnCarter1912 said:

Is Fantastic Four #181 a top 5 valuable Fantastic Four comic-book?

ff.jpg

No.

On 7/23/2022 at 8:37 AM, Engr62 said:

Many thanks to the OP.  I'm sitting on a gold mine and didn't even know it.  Plus, #172 has the ultra rare five-finger left hand and 4-finger right hand.

1083640299_Thing5-finger164.png.be620265939ed4c43aee92f6e42545f5.png634049339_Thing5-finger172.png.d04c61da196559f31faae96b3fcf86c1.png

I've seen more 5-fingered Things than you can shake a stick at.  Not rare.  Nope.