• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Overstreet: Isn’t it time to separate price variants from mainstream keys in the Bronze Age Top 25?
1 1

60 posts in this topic

On 7/24/2022 at 2:09 PM, bronze johnny said:

Would they have more value than the 30 cents copies if they weren’t scarcer?

Would lead be more valuable than gold if it was scarcer?

Demand has as much to do with it as scarcity. 

On 7/24/2022 at 2:17 PM, bronze johnny said:

Thanks! I’m going to use “I just did”next time someone calls me out(thumbsu

I answered your question My estimate was based on the annual reports, as reported in the comics, and some educated guess work.

Nothing a determined scholar can't find on their own.

On 7/24/2022 at 4:24 PM, shadroch said:

I answered your question My estimate was based on the annual reports, as reported in the comics, and some educated guess work.

Nothing a determined scholar can't find on their own.

I have also studied the subject and you’re being very loose with the facts to serve your argument. 

On 7/24/2022 at 4:19 PM, shadroch said:

Would lead be more valuable than gold if it was scarcer?

Demand has as much to do with it as scarcity. 

Platinum is and its scarcer. Please, I have a life and don’t have the time to go back and forth with you. I’m not going to answer your posts anymore. You’ve made your point and I’ve made mine. Let’s leave it at that.

On 7/24/2022 at 4:11 PM, bronze johnny said:

Btw, I’m still waiting for you to tell me what the most valuable Bronze Age book to come to auction is.

I truly do not understand your argument in this thread.

The answer, BTW, to your question, is Marvel Spotlight 5.

On 7/24/2022 at 5:18 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I truly do not understand your argument in this thread.

The answer, BTW, to your question, is Marvel Spotlight 5.

Sorry you don’t. Correct on MS 5. Thanks!

On 7/23/2022 at 7:28 PM, jdandns said:

Looks like it's just the Star Wars 1-4 and Iron Fist 14 variants, whose regular priced issues wouldn't have made the list, so it's still a Top 20 list even without those.

Maybe next year, they can do a Top 30 for Bronze, which would allow 5 more non-variant books to be added to the lower echelon of the list.

Excellent suggestion(thumbsu Hopefully Overstreet will consider this.

On 7/23/2022 at 1:50 PM, bronze johnny said:

If the people at Overstreet want to keep up with the times, it’s important to provide as much accuracy as possible they have massively failed for many years and this is the least of their problems (if it actually even is a problem).

Fixed.

I'm not a "completist" in terms of having both price variants and "regular" priced issues, so I couldn't care less personally about whether the price variants are or are not listed from that viewpoint. I'm not actively collecting them.  I can easily ignore the Star Wars price variant and see the IH #181 as the "most valuable." 

OTOH I am generally interested in what books are valuable, and if I was consulting this list and it did not include the price variants and I passed over some at an Estate Sale or something I would be pretty upset to find out somewhere else they were actually valuable.

The concern expressed by the OP seems more like a personal viewpoint than something that is a problem for the hobby at large.

On 7/25/2022 at 3:15 PM, MattTheDuck said:

I'm not a "completist" in terms of having both price variants and "regular" priced issues, so I couldn't care less personally about whether the price variants are or are not listed from that viewpoint. I'm not actively collecting them.  I can easily ignore the Star Wars price variant and see the IH #181 as the "most valuable." 

OTOH I am generally interested in what books are valuable, and if I was consulting this list and it did not include the price variants and I passed over some at an Estate Sale or something I would be pretty upset to find out somewhere else they were actually valuable.

The concern expressed by the OP seems more like a personal viewpoint than something that is a problem for the hobby at large.

I’m suggesting there’d be a separate list for books like price variants. I like what Overstreet has done with the lists for the most valuable books by genre. I don’t see a problem with having more lists.

Edited by bronze johnny

I don't think there is enough interest in variants to merit it's own list.  Would pence copies be on it or would there be another list for foreign editions?

I'd like to see the list expanded to 50 or even 100 but not exclude any book.

I mean if there was a price or list of sales, then would the list be necessary? Just list the top sales? Why quibble if it's the top list of sold comics? There are no lesser comics, so called "variants" or not? 

Equality for comics :goodvsevil:

Make the list long enough for everyone, you can find them up and down the internet with different views on all of them, so I dont see that overstreet is any different.

I need to be sold on why they should be considered if I'm not have a true opinion. Idk it is neither here nor there, let those who buy it make the call!

:bump:

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

On 7/25/2022 at 4:47 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

I mean if there was a price or list of sales, then would the list be necessary? Just list the top sales? Why quibble if it's the top list of sold comics? There are no lesser comics, so called "variants" or not? 

Equality for comics :goodvsevil:

Make the list long enough for everyone, you can find them up and down the internet with different views on all of them, so I dont see that overstreet is any different.

I need to be sold on why they should be considered if I'm not have a true opinion. Idk it is neither here nor there, let those who buy it make the call!

:bump:

❤️ this! I asked a question earlier about the most valuable Bronze Age comic book to be sold at auction because it wasn’t a price variant. Looking at the current Overstreet list without digging into auctions and you’d never know that. Goes to your point about listing the most valuable comic books by what they sold for in the year leading up to the publication of the Guide’s latest edition. You’ve described this better than me and your suggestion works provides greater clarification than mine(thumbsu

On 7/25/2022 at 5:47 PM, bronze johnny said:

❤️ this! I asked a question earlier about the most valuable Bronze Age comic book to be sold at auction because it wasn’t a price variant. Looking at the current Overstreet list without digging into auctions and you’d never know that. Goes to your point about listing the most valuable comic books by what they sold for in the year leading up to the publication of the Guide’s latest edition. You’ve described this better than me and your suggestion works provides greater clarification than mine(thumbsu

You won't know anything about real sale prices if you're looking in the OPG. (shrug)

OPG is more a guide to what's out there and a history of the medium as opposed to a true price guide, but that's been true since Ebay caught fire, really.

But given that this is a variant cover heavy era for comics, Overstreet should absolutely put out a second annual book that lists all variant covers with ratios, estimated print runs, artist credits, and as many pictures of those covers as possible. Like the original book helped me to determine what kind of collection I wanted to have, a variants books could also help collectors determine what they'd like to collect variants-wise, even if not exactly being able to provide especially accurate values for them.

Just an aside here, but there’s a really good thread about the new Overstreet over in the Golden Age section. It also focuses on the top GA books list, like this thread is focusing on the top BA list.

I find it fascinating how different the preoccupations and concerns of the GA and BA collectors are…

On 7/26/2022 at 5:39 AM, Brock said:

Just an aside here, but there’s a really good thread about the new Overstreet over in the Golden Age section. It also focuses on the top GA books list, like this thread is focusing on the top BA list.

I find it fascinating how different the preoccupations and concerns of the GA and BA collectors are…

I don't know. It seems one or two people are obsessed with something but I wouldn't lump all BA collectors in there.

On 7/26/2022 at 7:20 AM, shadroch said:

I don't know. It seems one or two people are obsessed with something but I wouldn't lump all BA collectors in there.

I'm not sure I've ever met a true BA only collector. I've met GA only collectors, and a few who think comics ends in 1969 but I've never met anyone who only collects 20 cent to forty cent covers. I'm sure they exists, I just haven't met one.

On 7/24/2022 at 8:39 AM, shadroch said:

So you folks want a list of top twenty books that doesn't include some of the most expensive books? The .35 cent Star Wars variants had wider newstand sales than there were copies of Cerebus 1 printed, so if we start eliminating valuable books because they weren't universally available you are going to end up with some pretty incomplete lists.  I like to think the idea is to provide more information, not less. 

200 (5).gif