• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

ASM 300 Cooling down . . .
1 1

104 posts in this topic

The high grade, high census population Direct Sales version likley to stagnate for a while. Those who purchased Direct Sales ASM300 at going rate during the bubble height in 2021 will not experience any positive ROI possibly for a decade, especially in grades below 9.6!   Those who do NOT buy books at FMV when they are hot of course will always be fine.  Those who purchased pre 2020 are still looking pretty good. 

While it will cool down ASM300 will probably never go cold. 

This post was in reference to Direct Sale version only. My opinions are not directed at the Newsstand or CPV.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Amazing Spider-Man 300 (5/88, Marvel Comics)
            Origin & 1st full appearance of Venom (Eddie Brock). Thing appearance. Last black costume.
Universal 25,020 8.63   10 1,303 3,772 4,405 3,471 3,018 2,615 1,849 1,275 1,014 656 525 353 261 183 149 63 48 23 19 3 1 2 2

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/3/2022 at 7:09 PM, MAR1979 said:

The high grade, high census population Direct Sales version likley to stagnate for a while. Those who purchased Direct Sales ASM300 at going rate during the bubble height in 2021 will not experience any positive ROI possibly for a decade, especially in grades below 9.6!   Those who do NOT buy books at FMV when they are hot of course will always be fine.  Those who purchased pre 2020 are still looking pretty good. 

While it will cool down ASM300 will probably never go cold. 

This post was in reference to Direct Sale version only. My opinions are not directed at the Newsstand or CPV.

Books CGC Label CGC Total Avg. Grade 10 9.9 9.8 9.6 9.4 9.2 9.0 8.5 8.0 7.5 7.0 6.5 6.0 5.5 5.0 4.5 4.0 3.5 3.0 2.5 2.0 1.8 1.5 1.0 0.5
 1. Amazing Spider-Man 300 (5/88, Marvel Comics)
            Origin & 1st full appearance of Venom (Eddie Brock). Thing appearance. Last black costume.
Universal 25,020 8.63   10 1,303 3,772 4,405 3,471 3,018 2,615 1,849 1,275 1,014 656 525 353 261 183 149 63 48 23 19 3 1 2 2

There’s no CPV :baiting:

On 8/9/2022 at 11:00 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Stan Lee Signed 9.8w Newsstand ASM300's are for the most discriminating of collectors, not for rabble like myself.

IMHO the point of this thread is Direct Sale ASM300's with particular attention to grades below 9.6. Folks who purchased those at bubble highs are seeing big negative ROI's which may only be tip of iceberg.  Although certainly not as bad as for those who picked up Eternals #1 at pre-bubble pop prices :roflmao:.  Rule of don't buy a book when hot and never ever when red-hot applies.

Edited by MAR1979

I still have not ever replaced the ASM #300 I had and sold about 8 years ago.  Was a direct edition in about 9.2/9.4 that I paid $60 for at a con.  Sold for $100 I believe right here on the boards.  Prices were just too high for a long time now.  I would be happy to buy a raw newsstand copy around the 9.4 range if I ever find one at the right price.  CGC copies are too rich for my blood in the 9.8.

I sold my very minty direct copy back in 1994 for the princely sum of $25.  Luckily I still have my newsstand copy I've had since then as well that I paid nothing for.  It's an 8.5 or so, though would press up nicely if I was so inclined.  I can't imagine paying any of these prices we've been seeing.

Edited by davidpg

On 9/1/2022 at 4:39 PM, D2 said:

I hate newsstands and will always hate newsstands. 
They are ugly and stick out like a sore thumb. 
In a hobby where people collect, primarily for the superficially beautiful it seems, I find it perplexing that people would rather an ugly barcode, simply because they deem it ‘more rare’. 
They are more rare because they are ugly. 
Congratulations. 

Fascinating. I loathe the Marvel diamond price boxes and giant Spider-Man head on the direct editions. The white boxes, bar codes, PLUS the NOSTALGIA of the bar codes are far and away better, and better looking, IMO. 

(Caveat: I only collect DD. I can see the appeal of a direct SM for #300.)

Edited by alexanderjk

On 9/1/2022 at 11:52 AM, davidpg said:

I sold my very minty direct copy back in 1994 for the princely sum of $25.  Luckily I still have my newsstand copy I've had since then as well that I paid nothing for.  It's an 8.5 or so, though would press up nicely if I was so inclined.  I can't imagine paying any of these prices we've been seeing.

Let me know if you want to sell it as is! :) 

On 9/2/2022 at 12:41 AM, alexanderjk said:

Fascinating. I loathe the Marvel diamond price boxes and giant Spider-Man head on the direct editions. The white boxes, bar codes, PLUS the NOSTALGIA of the bar codes are far and away better, and better looking, IMO. 

(Caveat: I only collect DD. I can see the appeal of a direct SM for #300.)

You sir, have left me shocked lol  

On 9/1/2022 at 6:39 PM, D2 said:

I hate newsstands and will always hate newsstands. 
They are ugly and stick out like a sore thumb. 
In a hobby where people collect, primarily for the superficially beautiful it seems, I find it perplexing that people would rather an ugly barcode, simply because they deem it ‘more rare’. 
They are more rare because they are ugly. 
Congratulations. 

I'm not sure what you're complaining about... direct editions are cheaper and you like them more.

"Man, I HATE it when the thing I like better is also CHEAPER! I can't even explain how much I hate it when I can pay less and get exactly what I want!" -D2

On 9/2/2022 at 1:32 PM, valiantman said:

I'm not sure what you're complaining about... direct editions are cheaper and you like them more.

"Man, I HATE it when the thing I like better is also CHEAPER! I can't even explain how much I hate it when I can pay less and get exactly what I want!" -D2

Paying less for something I  want really roasts my nuts

On 9/2/2022 at 1:32 PM, valiantman said:

lol

Well, I don't know if this qualifies as a complaint.

It's more of an opinion.

I wasn't complaining about anything. I didn't say or mention how, my direct editions are less valuable. I didn't really expect or want to talk about cost necessarily at all, simply because, further to your point, I wouldn't even look at them in the market in the first place.

I was more, confused, how barcodes, are simply more desirable, but further to alexanderjr's point, some people find them MORE aesthetically pleasing. Which befuddles me even further. 

I thought that people would rather collect something more ugly because they deem it more valuable/rare, which seems to contradict what the whole industry is based on, aesthetics. 

I wonder how heartbroken newsstand collectors would be to find out that if direct markets were printed first, when they changed the black plate to the barcode art it's now a reprint? Technically the stoppage and plate change to alter the book could constitute a revision...