• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trivia Time! What's Wrong with this eBay Post?
3 3

21 posts in this topic

1.) How can you tell that it's a second print?  I see that Overstreet says they exist from multi-pack sales.  MCS shows only 1st printings.  No distinction in the CGC census.

2.) The seller has multiple copies of MSH Secret Wars 1 in 9.8 and using the photos from one copy as stock photos for each subsequent copy listed.  Some people use that method, so I don't see anything wrong with this listing.  It's not bait and switch, as it has full disclosure.  But you are buying an $1100 comic sight-unseen.

Personally, I want to see the comic I am buying, but it's the seller's choice.  And since he is offering Free 30 Day Returns, he must have confidence that you are going to be ecstatic with your purchase.  Otherwise, shipping is on his dime as a return.

On 7/31/2022 at 4:51 PM, Lightning55 said:

1.) How can you tell that it's a second print?  I see that Overstreet says they exist from multi-pack sales.  MCS shows only 1st printings.  No distinction in the CGC census.

2.) The seller has multiple copies of MSH Secret Wars 1 in 9.8 and using the photos from one copy as stock photos for each subsequent copy listed.  Some people use that method, so I don't see anything wrong with this listing.  It's not bait and switch, as it has full disclosure.  But you are buying an $1100 comic sight-unseen.

Personally, I want to see the comic I am buying, but it's the seller's choice.  And since he is offering Free 30 Day Returns, he must have confidence that you are going to be ecstatic with your purchase.  Otherwise, shipping is on his dime as a return.

I believe 2nd print is due to the black spidey head, and the 75 cents only has the one price instead of all the countries. I've recently discovered this as well.

My 1st print has 75 cents but also shows Canadian options and a white spidey. I'll get the pic of mine in a second 

Screenshot_20220731-165528_Samsung Internet.jpg

4837736_Full_Obv.jpg

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

So the GPA entry is wrong because the eBay listing is showing a 2nd print copy but the title makes no distinction.  GPA records it as a first printing sale.  And we really don't know which copy was sold, since the photo could be of a different copy.  Quite messy now.

Since GPA for a 1st print has been around $600, and a 2nd print recently sold as high as $1600, this one selling at $1100 is either $500 too much or $500 too little.  That's quite a swing. 

I guess you buy it, and if it is a first print, you return it.  No risk, Free 30 Day Returns for any reason, or no reason.

On 7/31/2022 at 5:51 PM, Lightning55 said:

Black Spider-man head in the UPC box.

On 7/31/2022 at 5:56 PM, Xenosmilus said:

Personal story. I bought a CGC 9.6 SW1 Black Spicy Head in UPC pre-boom and sent it in to CGC.  They re-cased it and labeled it a second print for free.

Amen! I've had similar circumstances but with Canadian price variants, and it wasn't on purpose. Crazy to me that the 2nd print is "more in demand?" Obviously imo second prints wouldn't be printed as much as firsts, but idk.

I post because when I traded for mine at the LCS as a raw, he mentioned having second prints as well, but it didn't click in my collection cause I wouldn't have known.

Very interesting or cool thing to be aware of 🙂

On 7/31/2022 at 7:05 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

Crazy to me that the 2nd print is "more in demand?"

It's just hard to find in high grade (only 8 CGC 9.8's in the census) not so much rare in lower grades.  I believe it was only in the 3-packs and someone told me only sold at Walmarts (not sure about that though).

On 7/31/2022 at 6:09 PM, Xenosmilus said:

It's just hard to find in high grade (only 8 CGC 9.8's in the census) not so much rare in lower grades.  I believe it was only in the 3-packs and someone told me only sold at Walmarts (not sure about that though).

Ah that makes sense them, and I'm glad I chose correctly cause the LCS told me the 2nd prints they had weren't as high a grade as my 1st print.

I mistakenly thought the 2nd prints weren't in the census, as they didn't show up as a separate entry in the search.  But as all of you probably already know, they show up with the 1st prints and Canadian Price Variants.  I don't venture into the census very often, maybe will now.

So on that census, there are a total of 6,305 graded in 3 varieties - 1st print, CPV, and 2nd print.  96.37% are 1st prints, 2.41% are CPV, and 1.22% are 2nd prints.

It's just hard to find in high grade (only 8 CGC 9.8's properly recorded in the census) not so much rare in lower grades.

Fixed.

I believe it was only in the 3-packs and someone told me only sold at Walmarts (not sure about that though).

There is no way it was only at Walmart.

On 7/31/2022 at 6:21 PM, Lightning55 said:

So on that census, there are a total of 6,305 graded in 3 varieties - 1st print, CPV, and 2nd print.  96.37% are 1st prints, 2.41% are CPV, and 1.22% are 2nd prints.

Again, the Census numbers for different versions can't be trusted, as demonstrated by the OP. It's ridiculous that CGC has so many problems properly identifying and entering later printings and variants.