• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

grader notes

34 posts in this topic

Greetings,

Has anyone else received books back with no grader notes?

I just got 10 back with no notes, wasnt expecting anything on the 9.8s, but I was hoping to get something on the 9.4s and 9.6s,

especially the 3 books I had cleaned and pressed first ( ASM 361, Canto #1, and Capt. Amer #25)  would have liked to known what the issues were. ( I have another Canto with the manufacturing defect, and another 361, but not sure whether to spend the extra cash with CSS now.

Edited by gbook
spacing

On 8/1/2022 at 8:12 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

Nothing above 9.0 should require notes, as small handling defects are typically the only allowable flaws. A 9.4 is basically off-the-shelf condition, I'm not sure why anyone would want an explanation for receiving a grade in that range.

You're not sure why someone might want to understand why a book that looked perfect (to the submitter) came back graded as a 9.4?   Or why "well, maybe you can't see it, but something must have been there, and we don't have to elaborate, so just deal," wouldn't be especially satisfying as a response?

On 8/1/2022 at 1:38 PM, Axelrod said:

You're not sure why someone might want to understand why a book that looked perfect (to the submitter) came back graded as a 9.4?   Or why "well, maybe you can't see it, but something must have been there, and we don't have to elaborate, so just deal," wouldn't be especially satisfying as a response?

That's correct. It's called "Near Mint" for a reason. If a consumer doesn't want to trust CGC as an authority, they can always learn how to grade themselves, and then they may learn the difference between NM and Gem Mint.

We, the consumer, don't need CGC wasting their time writing down defects that are common for books fresh off the shelf.

Edited by theCapraAegagrus

On 8/2/2022 at 7:14 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

That's correct. It's called "Near Mint" for a reason. If a consumer doesn't want to trust CGC as an authority, they can always learn how to grade themselves, and then they may learn the difference between NM and Gem Mint.

We, the consumer, don't need CGC wasting their time writing down defects that are common for books fresh off the shelf.

Well, like, that's just your opinion man :nyah:

Seriously, all I'm saying is it's a natural-and-not-unreasonable question for someone to have.  

On 7/31/2022 at 5:46 PM, gbook said:

Greetings,

I just got 10 back with no notes, wasnt expecting anything on the 9.8s, but I was hoping to get something on the 9.4s and 9.6s,

especially the 3 books I had cleaned and pressed first ( ASM 361, Canto #1, and Capt. Amer #25)  would have liked to known what the issues were. ( I have another Canto with the manufacturing defect, and another 361, but not sure whether to spend the extra cash with CSS now.

It's a bummer when you don't receive grader notes. Especially when I've seen notes for 9.6s. 

Add this to the 'I wish list' of steps a company should provide without a customer requesting.

On 8/2/2022 at 7:57 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

It's a bummer when you don't receive grader notes. Especially when I've seen notes for 9.6s. 

Add this to the 'I wish list' of steps a company should provide without a customer requesting.

Personally, I think it depends on the grader. Some graders may put in notes for a 9.4 or a 9.6 and some may not... (shrug)

On 8/2/2022 at 7:57 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

Would have been nice, the grades weren't as much the issue, I wanted the notes to see what was still "lacking" after the clean and press.

I totally understand it would be alot to put notes on every submission...maybe next time. 

On 8/2/2022 at 5:04 PM, gbook said:

Would have been nice, the grades weren't as much the issue, I wanted the notes to see what was still "lacking" after the clean and press.

I totally understand it would be alot to put notes on every submission...maybe next time. 

I agree with your first sentence, but disagree with the second. @theCapraAegagrus makes a valid point wrt the NM category. However, you did pay for a service. An employee identified a flaw(s) and that information did not make it into the Grader Notes. Justifiably frustrating. Knowing what you missed provides feedback so you can look for the flaw in future comics. Especially if you're cleaning and pressing your own comics.

Was there a flaw on the inside of the comic? Did you not fully press out a finger bend or crease? Did they find finger prints? And, add to the list, the Grader Notes are not always all-encompassing. The Grader may have only identified 2 flaws where another may have found 3. 

Hopefully you can find happiness with your current situation. I advise not falling into the "what if" trap. Although, I'm "what iffing" your "what if".

Peace Out

On 7/31/2022 at 10:46 PM, gbook said:

Greetings,

It is absolutely reasonable to want to know why something got less than 9.8, reasonable enough for a competitor to put notes on every comic 9.6 and down.

On 8/2/2022 at 4:17 PM, Axelrod said:

Well, like, that's just your opinion man :nyah:

Seriously, all I'm saying is it's a natural-and-not-unreasonable question for someone to have.  

Sure, I'd agree that it's a perfectly fine question for a n00b to ask. :)

On 8/3/2022 at 12:17 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

An employee identified a flaw(s) and that information did not make it into the Grader Notes. Justifiably frustrating. Knowing what you missed provides feedback so you can look for the flaw in future comics.

It's not CGC's job to teach consumers how to grade via their notes, though. It's an unreasonable ask to have them list every flaw. So, when certain defects are abundantly common for NM books, it's essentially a waste of time for them to log it.

On 8/3/2022 at 12:17 AM, Upgrayedd2 said:

I agree with your first sentence, but disagree with the second. @theCapraAegagrus makes a valid point wrt the NM category. However, you did pay for a service. An employee identified a flaw(s) and that information did not make it into the Grader Notes. Justifiably frustrating. Knowing what you missed provides feedback so you can look for the flaw in future comics. Especially if you're cleaning and pressing your own comics.

Was there a flaw on the inside of the comic? Did you not fully press out a finger bend or crease? Did they find finger prints? And, add to the list, the Grader Notes are not always all-encompassing. The Grader may have only identified 2 flaws where another may have found 3. 

Hopefully you can find happiness with your current situation. I advise not falling into the "what if" trap. Although, I'm "what iffing" your "what if".

Peace Out

Appreciate it my guy, and I am perfectly fine with the 9.4s and 9.6,  to answer your question, that Canto was bought, (with the manufacturer cover crease) quick thumb thru, and bagged and stored, the ASM 361, 30yrs old bagged and stored, I did a quick look through and didnt see any visible flaws, looked atleast a 9.2 or better to me, but I am no grader lol, and the Captain America was brought from Midtown, never opened before sent off to CSS, so that was my fault.

I might try a different presser for the copies and see how that works out.

Peace Out

Edited by gbook

Reading thru this seeing the great debate on if 9.6’s should get grader notes meanwhile I’m getting 8.5’s, 9.0’s, 9.2’s and 9.4’s back with no notes at all regularly… it’s actually much more rare books in these grades have notes for me than do not. 8.0 and below is when I typically consistently get notes these days. There have been periods of time in CGC’s history where I’d get notes quite often on a 9.6 and for sure anything below but that’s certainly not what happens anymore for me.

Edited by wiparker824

If a grader sees a flaw making the book less than 9.8, the paying customer should get that feedback. They should at least have a standard list (water damage, slight spine stress line, fingerprint, etc.) that the grader could quickly electronically check which then populates to the notes. 

I don’t want to sound like an ungrateful person_who_is_obnoxiously_self-impressed but I just got 25 back and based on past experiences and checking these books, upwards of 20 should have been 9.8s but they’re 14 9.6s and 4 9.4s. It’s not the spine or corners so what is it CGC?  Color rub?  Fingerprints my 3rd party presser didn’t clean?  No notes on anything. I need to know because this is a swing in value of more than a few hundreds of dollars. 

Edited by Tom Snow

On 8/17/2022 at 3:14 PM, Tom Snow said:

No notes on anything. I need to know

I believe you're looking for a different entity, one that provides notes for all grades under 9.8. Might be out there, but I couldn't tell you 🤷‍♂️