• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

grader notes

34 posts in this topic

On 8/17/2022 at 4:14 PM, Tom Snow said:

If a grader sees a flaw making the book less than 9.8, the paying customer should get that feedback. They should at least have a standard list (water damage, slight spine stress line, fingerprint, etc.) that the grader could quickly electronically check which then populates to the notes.

Again, it's not CGC's job to teach you how to grade.

That is presuming that CGC doesn't make mistakes. How many of us have cracked and resubmitted and gotten a higher grade?  Happens all the time.   If I'm submitting books express and getting a 9.6 on a flawless book I want to know why. If i missed something, yes that's on me but customer pays for a service and shouldn't be left dumbfounded. 

On 8/30/2022 at 6:16 PM, wafdawg said:

That is presuming that CGC doesn't make mistakes. How many of us have cracked and resubmitted and gotten a higher grade?  Happens all the time.   If I'm submitting books express and getting a 9.6 on a flawless book I want to know why. If i missed something, yes that's on me but customer pays for a service and shouldn't be left dumbfounded. 

Grading is subjective. Learn how to grade and you will spot how/why CGC gave you the number they came up with. It really is that simple. It's not CGC's job to teach you, though. You can pay for their services and buy their products on the aftermarket to learn (trial and error), or you can buy a grading guide. CGC is not going to provide you with their proprietary grading information. Again, it really is that simple.

If you're paying for a service to grade your product, Is should not be "Vague". There should be as little "subjectivity" as possible. It most certainly can be set standards and set checklists to go through. What you see and where you see it. Not difficult, just thorough. And yes, you absolutely deserve to know why the item you sent in for grading got the grade you are going to base the actual value on. If a company wants to pursue "Vague" and "Subjective", this speaks to the overall lack of professionalism. Maybe NOOBS, as you call people, should be listened to. While we are on the subject, the attitude that you WILL accept our judgement, without question, is pretty draconian way to run an evaluation service. My two cents.

Many good points, but I do not agree with equating Grader Notes to CGC teaching us or "CGC is not going to provide you with their proprietary grading information." Refer to, "Pre-Order Your Copy of ‘The Official CGC Guide to Grading Comics’ by CGC President Matt Nelson."

A common theme on this forum is a desire for transparency. So, in order to fairly address this topic we need to understand the steps/process a grader takes to document (or skip documenting) Grader Notes. The grader is required to note (mentally or document) defects in order to arrive at a grade. How much longer does it take to include notes? Although I am not a proponent of having to pay an additional fee for notes, I am inclined to believe it takes a shorter amount of time to include the notes that it does to capture a high-resolution scan of the comic ($5 extra fee).

If CGC agreed to provide Grader Notes for every comic with no additional cost, who would object and please I would sincerely like to know why.

On 10/8/2022 at 2:16 PM, ICUP said:

Are you prepared to wait 2 years for your Economy books (without Pressing)? Because that's what would happen, TATs would double.

Not sure if I agree with this. Increase...yes. Double...doubt it. Regardless, I for one would be ok with it.

With all the stories, by multitudes of trustworthy people, stating that their books received lower grades (sometimes way lower) than expected, it'd be nice to know why.

CGC has, in the last couple of years, become completely comical in their grading ... actually in their entire business. Transparency/documentation for their grading would be most welcome.

An Economy (pre 1975) submission of mine "popped" this past week.  Virtually all non 9.8's had grader notes. 

One book I submitted that I thought could range from 8.5 to 9.4 depending on how defects were weighted came back a 9.2 (which I happy with BTW). Based on the grader notes I was able to determine (due to lack of mention) a minor issue on the spine was due to binding and not counted against the book.  I do agree with the grade but now I understand more so why it received what it did.

My opinion when folks get graders notes for 9.4 and below or 9.6's on Copper or earlier that at face value appear 9.8 it encourages more submissions. I do also agree CGC in not a grading teaching service still for the current rates being charged, getting them at least gives the illusion of perceived extra value

Edited by MAR1979

On 10/8/2022 at 1:32 PM, Upgrayedd2 said:

A common theme on this forum is a desire for transparency. So, in order to fairly address this topic we need to understand the steps/process a grader takes to document (or skip documenting) Grader Notes.

Skipping the notetaking should be a relatively simple step in the process...  :bigsmile:

Having graders make notes as they hammer your books helps to create a system of accountability.  If you’re going to label my book a 9.2, it should be pretty easy to explain why in a couple quick notes.   If you can’t tell me why   It’s a 9.2, then maybe you should look again. 

Graders aren’t volunteers.  Just do your job.   I recently spent 2 months helping to grade/process a massive collection.  It would have been 10x more tedious if I had to make notes for each book.  Thankfully, graders notes were not part of the service I was providing. 

If they were though, EVERY book would get them.  If I’m grading a book a 9.4 (disqualifying it from the 9.8 pre-screen I’m putting together), I could write a note about the defect that’s holding it back.(shrug)

I’m sure that there’s a correlation between CGCs inconsistent grading & their inconsistent use of notes.  Faith in the grade on the label is all CGC has.  That faith is beginning to crumble. If I can’t trust the number on the label, why pay a premium for slabbed books?  At least with raw books, I can just return them if they snafu the grade.2c

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 10/9/2022 at 4:59 PM, Don Key said:

You and CGC are a lot alike in this regard (thumbsu

Let’s be honest.  For the premium comic book grading company...their graders notes ‘policy’ is ridiculously wishy-washy.   It’s ok if you’d like to keep notes optional & at your discretion.  I get it.  But don’t go & make a big announcement about “FREE GRADER’S NOTE FOR ALL!!!!” .:facepalm:

Edited by THE_BEYONDER

On 10/9/2022 at 4:23 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Graders aren’t volunteers.  Just do your job.   I recently spent 2 months helping to grade/process a massive collection.  It would have been 10x more tedious if I had to make notes for each book.

I think you've just shed some light on why some graded books don't have notes... hm