• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Could ALBEDO #2 become the next TMNT #1?
2 2

26 posts in this topic

On 8/2/2022 at 10:15 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't think many folks outside of comics have heard of Teen Age Mutant Ninja Turtles.  By contrast, knowledge and recognition of Disney is global.  I can't see TMNT #1 being the next worldwide sensation...ever.

Fixed

On 8/2/2022 at 10:15 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:
On 8/2/2022 at 8:13 AM, APDallas said:

It seems USAGI YOJIMBO is becoming more and more popular. Could it be the next TMNT #1? Agree or disagree? 

On 8/2/2022 at 9:15 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I don't think many folks outside of this forum have heard of Usagi.  By contrast, knowledge and recognition of TMNT is global.  I can't see Albedo #2 being the next TMNT#1...ever.

Um... you know Usagi has been frequently associated with the TMNT in various media, right?

Still, you're correct that Albedo 2 is not, and never will be, TMNT 1.

Turtlemania was a global phenomenon in 1990-1991 that may never be matched again in pop culture. 

Usagi does carry some weight outside of comics in the toy/action figure space but that's about it. The Netflix cartoon was terrible, which probably puts an end to any possible Usagimania, as awesome as that would be.

Not saying it's impossible but I'd place the odds as being nearly as low as; all two hundred thousand million million million million billion trillion atoms making up the planet Earth suddenly, simultaneously and spontaneously cease to exist.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/2/2022 at 6:49 PM, Ryan. said:

Turtlemania was a global phenomenon in 1990-1991 that may never be matched again in pop culture. 

Usagi does carry some weight outside of comics in the toy/action figure space but that's about it. The Netflix cartoon was terrible, which probably puts an end to any possible Usagimania, as awesome as that would be.

Yeah the netflix cartoon was awful.  Should have just done an accurate comic retelling  or even space usagi and it would been gold. 

On 8/11/2022 at 1:20 PM, WolverineX said:

Yeah the netflix cartoon was awful.  Should have just done an accurate comic retelling  or even space usagi and it would been gold. 

amen. I couldn't make it past the 1st episode. I wanted to "believe" though lol they still have forever to do such going forward.

I think about it sometimes, how we have years upon years to drum up likes and nostalgia. It used to be more narrow as it could all go away tomorrow? haha but 

we can still get excited they were willing to try and hope it doesn't "scrap the project!"

On 8/11/2022 at 2:20 PM, WolverineX said:

This isn't fair at all to Usagi and the incredible job Sakai has done creating it, and I know it wasn't an either/or proposition, but nonetheless ...all I could think after watching it was which monster at Netflix decided to kill Bone and greenlight this.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:06 AM, Legion of Goom said:

This isn't fair at all to Usagi and the incredible job Sakai has done creating it,

Isn't saying that Netflix would have been better off following the source material instead of producing a cartoon only vaguely based on the Usagi concept a compliment to Sakai?

The cartoon sucked. Sakai's comics are awesome. These can both be true.

On 8/13/2022 at 10:19 AM, Ryan. said:

Isn't saying that Netflix would have been better off following the source material instead of producing a cartoon only vaguely based on the Usagi concept a compliment to Sakai?

The cartoon sucked. Sakai's comics are awesome. These can both be true.

Good point. I added the disclaimer primarily because I don't know how much influence/control Stan had in the Netflix series, or what his constraints were. 

You're right 100% in that the source material would've made for a better series. 

On 8/13/2022 at 8:01 AM, Legion of Goom said:

Good point. I added the disclaimer primarily because I don't know how much influence/control Stan had in the Netflix series, or what his constraints were. 

You're right 100% in that the source material would've made for a better series. 

I'm not so sure about that.  I'd rather see movies and cartoons explore new territory rather than give us a new version of stories I already know.  Our warrior rabbit has had a lifetime of adventures and dozens of battles. Give me a new adventure, not a retread.  Others opinions may vary, and wrong as they may be, they are entitled to them.

On 8/13/2022 at 12:13 PM, shadroch said:

I'm not so sure about that.  I'd rather see movies and cartoons explore new territory rather than give us a new version of stories I already know.  Our warrior rabbit has had a lifetime of adventures and dozens of battles. Give me a new adventure, not a retread.  Others opinions may vary, and wrong as they may be, they are entitled to them.

Good point, too. Ultimately, I think I would've been OK with either Usagi classic or the new adventures scenario had either one been executed better than what we got.