• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Valiant (Valiant Entertainment) Going Out of Business ?
3 3

72 posts in this topic

A couple of news sites are claiming that Valiant is laying off employees and a few people are leaving and seeking work elsewhere.

https://comicbook.com/comics/news/valiant-entertainment-reportedly-lays-off-employees/

In another shocking move in the comic book publishing world, ComicBook.com has learned that Valiant Entertainment has laid off several editorial employees today, but how many remains to be seen. Valiant Entertainment Publisher Fred Pierce is reported to be among those that are no longer with the company, and we've heard that others have also exited. Pierce had previously been acting as the Publisher for the brand since 2009, around the time that it was revived with all-new comics and a new parent company. Bleeding Cool was first to report the news, revealing that Senior Editor Lysa Hawkins has also seemingly left Valiant. 

Home to characters including X-O Manowar, Quantum & Woody, Harbinger, Faith, Ninjak, Rai, Shadowman, Archer & Armstrong, and Bloodshot, Valiant has had a turbulent existence. First arriving on the scene in the 1990s, publishing Gold Key characters like Magnus, Robot Fighter, Turok, and Solar, Valiant quickly built up a following when it began to roll out some of its original characters who were created by the likes of Jim Shooter, Barry Windsor-Smith, Joe Quesada, and Christopher Priest, with some of their success in the late 1990s and early 2000s coming from video games based on their characters.

The summer of 2012 marked one of the biggest years ever for the company as it was revived and began publishing titles again. Valiant Entertainment's relaunch at that time resulted in high-profile creators coming on to work on the characters that had been out of print in single issue comics for years. Writers and artists including Robert Venditti, Matt Kindt, Dan Abnett, Cullen Bunn, Jeff Lemire, Justin Jordan, Patrick Zircher. Major crossovers between the heroes would also be released at this time, with their breakout character Faith, a plus-sized hero from the Harbinger titles, among their most popular

Renewed interest in the characters resulted in feature film and television deals being made over the years. At any given point from 2015 on there was a Valiant title in the works at one of the major studios in Hollywood, with plans for a full cinematic universe ala Marvel Studios considered at one point. The only adaptation to make it to the screen was the Vin Diesel-starring Bloodshot, which was released in theaters days before the COVID-19 pandemic began in earnest and eventually shut down the country and the world. 

In recent years Valiant has continued to publish comics, announcing back in February another new reboot of some titles for 2022 including Book of Shadows, a series featuring Shadowman, Punk Mambo, Eternal Warrior, Doctor Mirage, and a surprise character that was released back in July; plus Bloodshot Unleashed in September and X-O Manowar Unconquered in November. Valiant was also one of many publishers to leap into the NFT game earlier this year.

Valiant is probably dead again.

The death of Valiant comics 4 years after the majority ownership decided in 2018 they didn't need Dinesh Shamdasani, the primary creative force... seems familiar since...

The death of Valiant comics 4 years after the majority ownership decided in 1992 they didn't need Jim Shooter, the primary creative force.

The 1996 death of Valiant comics was followed by a reboot with completely new stories (just reusing the old names), but it failed for Acclaim (which was doing so many other, more expensive things than comics) and then Acclaim went bankrupt.

The 2022 death of Valiant comics MIGHT be followed by a reboot of some kind, but it's more likely that DMG (which is doing so many other, more expensive things than comics) will just jump directly to the DMG bankruptcy/liquidation.

On 8/5/2022 at 10:27 AM, valiantman said:

Valiant is probably dead again.

The death of Valiant comics 4 years after the majority ownership decided in 2018 they didn't need Dinesh Shamdasani, the primary creative force... seems familiar since...

The death of Valiant comics 4 years after the majority ownership decided in 1992 they didn't need Jim Shooter, the primary creative force.

The 1996 death of Valiant comics was followed by a reboot with completely new stories (just reusing the old names), but it failed for Acclaim (which was doing so many other, more expensive things than comics) and then Acclaim went bankrupt.

The 2022 death of Valiant comics MIGHT be followed by a reboot of some kind, but it's more likely that DMG (which is doing so many other, more expensive things than comics) will just jump directly to the DMG bankruptcy/liquidation.

I've been thinking, since DMG acquired full ownership in 2018, and it's been reported that they invested 9 figures, that there is no way that the IP is just going to die. I'm assuming there will be some large corporation interested in acquiring IP to develop for a streaming service, that will be interested in buying them out. Whether a new comic line follows remains to be seen.

On 8/5/2022 at 9:30 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

I've been thinking, since DMG acquired full ownership in 2018, and it's been reported that they invested 9 figures, that there is no way that the IP is just going to die. I'm assuming there will be some large corporation interested in acquiring IP to develop for a streaming service, that will be interested in buying them out. Whether a new comic line follows remains to be seen.

That's an encouraging thought, but Acclaim acquired Valiant for eight figures, and the assets were sold at auction for six figures about ten years later.

I'd definitely prefer Valiant stay alive, but with so many streaming platforms competing for attention, even if there was a really, really, really good Valiant streaming series (with plenty of budget) it would be likely to be overlooked by the majority of people because it wouldn't have a Marvel or DC logo.  Alternatively, if Marvel or DC (their parent companies) bought Valiant, it would likely be shelved and buried like Wildstorm (or is there a Gen13 streaming series that I've overlooked?)

Here's a fun thought... Clayton Crain is a harbinger of doom for Valiant. lol

Clayton Crain (at the time, he was Klayton Krain) first got attention for Shadowman #16 (volume 2, 1998), and Valiant titles (under Acclaim) died within 4 years.

Clayton Crain got a lot of attention with Valiant again in 2014 as the creator for Rai, and Valiant lost its CEO and Chief Creative Officer within 4 years.

Clayton Crain had everyone's attention in 2018-2019 with his rainbow signature on comics, and Valiant lays off employees within 4 years.

Coincidence? Craincidence?

Edited by valiantman

On 8/5/2022 at 11:14 AM, Buzzetta said:

I am hoping then that no one wants the art anymore so a couple of things pop up at a reduced price.  

I had picked this up as well as another Eternal Warrior cover a few years ago.   It would be nice to get one or two more. 

ksadilp0_1002181310181gpadd.jpg.3b41c3476882044fd252354502376fa4.jpg3863792.jpg.1f81da9315291aa637b6f543e2ba5a1d.jpg

That's a great piece!

On 8/5/2022 at 10:17 AM, Gatsby77 said:

So does this mean the proposed Paramount Harbinger film is dead as well?

Last I'd checked, CGC 9.8 Harbinger 1 prices were creeping up again based on rumored movie momentum.

Hard to say. If there actually is progress at Paramount, perhaps Paramount would be interested in owning the intellectual properties.  Valiant to Paramount+ seems as reasonable as any other possible outcome.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:14 PM, Buzzetta said:

I am hoping then that no one wants the art anymore so a couple of things pop up at a reduced price.  

I had picked this up as well as another Eternal Warrior cover a few years ago.   It would be nice to get one or two more. 

ksadilp0_1002181310181gpadd.jpg.3b41c3476882044fd252354502376fa4.jpg3863792.jpg.1f81da9315291aa637b6f543e2ba5a1d.jpg

For myself, the collected editions have been the focus-  since the buzz this past year has been all about the loss of quality. I'm happy to stop here.

IMG_20220801_072652a.jpg

On 8/5/2022 at 11:18 AM, valiantman said:

Hard to say. If there actually is progress at Paramount, perhaps Paramount would be interested in owning the intellectual properties.  Valiant to Paramount+ seems as reasonable as any other possible outcome.

Paramount has so much money from Top Gun they could easily buy Valiant.  I was hoping they would buy DC too. 

On 8/5/2022 at 4:20 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

For myself, the collected editions have been the focus-  since the buzz this past year has been all about the loss of quality. I'm happy to stop here.

IMG_20220801_072652a.jpg

I agree. For several years they were extremely consistent, and then declined. Nice set.

On 8/5/2022 at 11:10 AM, FormerReader said:

Good! DMG was stupid to force out Dinesh, which caused all the talent he brought with him to leave.

Really dumb to force out the people running a company in a business DMG knows nothing about.

Insert Bad Idea joke here