• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Valiant (Valiant Entertainment) Going Out of Business ?
3 3

72 posts in this topic

On 8/5/2022 at 2:37 PM, 40two30nine50six said:

lol that's what you get for listening hippy chit :peace:

Might be headed to Jimmy Buffet next week.

After that, Zac Brown Band.

I'm trying to score Yankees / Mets tickets also... 

If I've learned anything about Valiant it's that it'll rise again like the Phoenix, as it has done several times in the past.  Seems Valiant would fit nicely with Image, but I guess it has something to do with Image properties being creator owned and Valiant titles are not (I think?)?  (at the very least, Turok's creator is long since passed).

On 8/5/2022 at 7:44 PM, 40two30nine50six said:

My memory is worse, they didn't show up til Solar 10. But I smoke a lot of weed so...

:makepoint: <----- for me

They did ret-con it a bit so the Geomancers show up in Magnus' time, that's my only excuse.

It gets worse - penny dropped - I actually have the Book of Death deluxe edition unread on my shelf!

On 8/5/2022 at 7:31 PM, Buzzetta said:

The Geomancers are still around in the current Valiant universe.  In fact they are supposedly playing a large role in the Eternal Warrior hardcover kickstarter...

I backed it... I wonder if I am going to get it. 

Screen Shot 2022-08-05 at 2.30.06 PM.png

Darn -that's one I missed entirely. Hopefully copies will reach distributors once the backers get their copies!

On 8/5/2022 at 2:24 PM, WolverineX said:

Now that Dinesh is at Bad idea, someone throw a lot of money at Shooter get this universe back on track.  

Shooter at Valiant?

Nah - they tried that (twice!) and people (myself included) hated it.

First with Unity 2000 - while I wish they'd finished the series, the prologue was (IIRC) in Shadowman vol 3 # 5 - a back-up story called something like "The Many Deaths of Jack Boniface" - that was written by Jim Shooter, although I believe under a pen name. Again - it's been 20 years, but it basically introduced a multiverse concept to explain how Jack Boniface (who wasn't the current Shadowman at the time) existed in other dimensions -- as a way of being able to bring him back to live for the Unity 2000 series.

This was wildly_fanciful_statement.

• First, it invalidated a key tenet of Shooter's Valiant from as early as Harbinger 6 - with the death of Torque: "Valiant. Where dead is dead."
  • Because we learned early on in the original Shadowman series that Jack Boniface died in 1999. To bring him back purely for Unity 2000 was a cheat.
  • Third, it was written by Jim Shooter himself.

And then Shooter briefly revived the Gold Key Valiant heroes again for Dark Horse about 15 years ago.

Doctor Solar was merely disappointing. Magnus was horrendous. Turok was an abomination.

Shooter's had his time, but - like Lucas with Star Wars - I'd rather see new talent take up the reigns for Valiant.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Shooter at Valiant?

First with Unity 2000 - while I wish they'd finished the series, the prologue was (IIRC) in Shadowman vol 3 # 5 - a back-up story called something like "The Many Deaths of Jack Boniface" - that was written by Jim Shooter, although I believe under a pen name. Again - it's been 20 years, but it basically introduced a multiverse concept to explain how Jack Boniface (who wasn't the current Shadowman at the time) existed in other dimensions -- as a way of being able to bring him back to live for the Unity 2000 series.

• First, it invalidated a key tenet of Shooter's Valiant from as early as Harbinger 6 - with the death of Torque: "Valiant. Where dead is dead."
  • Because we learned early on in the original Shadowman series that Jack Boniface died in 1999. To bring him back purely for Unity 2000 was a cheat.

And then Shooter briefly revived the Gold Key Valiant heroes again for Dark Horse about 15 years ago.

Doctor Solar was merely disappointing. Magnus was horrendous. Turok was an abomination.

Shooter's had his time, but - like Lucas with Star Wars - I'd rather see new talent take up the reigns for Valiant.

7G0qSwRcTZPF6gA8-h4oO4etwmn8ANxTYlh89Gwu

This guy?

On 8/5/2022 at 11:16 PM, WolverineX said:

where at?

Presume they got their info from this article -
https://bleedingcool.com/comics/dinesh-shamdasani-looking-to-buy-back-valiant/

Former CEO Dinesh Shamdasani, who was forced out by the current owners was asked on Twitter, in response to this news, if he wanted to buy a comic book company on the cheap. Shamdasani replied "Been on it all week."

I assume Bad Idea died a bad death?

Spoiler

From here on out, you’re going to hear an awful lot about BAD IDEA – an experimental new comic book publisher debuting in select comic shops in May 2020. 

But, wait, we’ll get to the “select” part in a second.

BAD IDEA’s mantra is “don’t do anything unless it’s special.” That could apply to the way we appear at conventions, it could be the way we get books into stores, but, more often than not, you’ll see it first and foremost in our comics. With that in mind – and in spite of ourselves – BAD IDEA is going to produce an intentionally limited number of series at any given time: no more than one to two single issues per month. Single-issue, monthly comics are the fuel that keeps BAD IDEA’s engine running – and, over the past year, we’ve been making a ton of them in secret with some of the industry’s best and most respected creators.

It’s been a blast so far…and we’re just getting started.

An advance look at Lewis LaRosa’s cover art to MEGALITH #1 – coming soon from BAD IDEA

Each BAD IDEA comic will feature A-level comics storytelling from some of the medium’s leading talents in a pristinely designed, prestige-format package. Some – usually our first issues or totally mind-blowing one-shots – will be oversized with page counts far in excess of the standard 22 pages. A few others might even come stealthily loaded up with hidden features and other surprise bonuses so secret we might never even mention them in public. But, no matter what, each BAD IDEA comic will have a standard $3.99 cover price. And our goal is to make sure that each time a new one shows up in your local comic shop, it’s kind of a big deal.Here’s why: BAD IDEA’s titles will feature no variants, will not be offered digitally, and will not be collected into trade paperbacks, hardcovers, or other bookshelf formats. 

You will have to go to a comic shop to buy them, each and every month.

We’re not going to tell you everything about all of our new comic series up front because, well, we don’t want to spoil the fun all at once. But we can say this…

BAD IDEA’s first release will be ENIAC – a new series from New York Times best-selling writer Matt Kindt (Mind MGMTFolklords) and acclaimed artist Doug Braithwaite (Justice) beginning May 2020 – and we’ll be releasing complete details about it in the next few days. In short order, you’ll also be hearing about upcoming projects from creators including writer Mae Catt (Young Justice), Eisner Award nominee Joshua Dysart (Unknown SoldierHarbinger), acclaimed artist Tomas Giorello (X-O Manowar), Harvey Award nominee Lewis LaRosa (Bloodshot Reborn), acclaimed artist Adam Pollina (X-Force), New York Times best-selling writer Robert Venditti (Justice League), and more.

What’s more, BAD IDEA is already hard at work on new releases from multiple GLAAD Media Award nominee Marguerite Bennett (Batwoman), Academy Award nominee Eric Heisserer (Bird BoxArrival), Eisner Award nominee Jody Houser (Harley Quinn & Poison Ivy), multiple Eisner Award winner Jeff Lemire (Black HammerGideon Falls), comics icon Peter Milligan (X-Statix), Emmy Award-winning writer Zeb Wells (Amazing Spider-Man), and more.

But here’s the rub: BAD IDEA’s new releases won’t be available everywhere. To get things going, BAD IDEA will be self-distributing its titles to a carefully selected roster of just 20 participating comic book retailers with more admitted on a rolling basis for a total of roughly 50 within the first year.

Each BAD IDEA store will qualify to participate based on a unique system of criteria that includes enhanced signage, promotional displays, and rules for stocking and selling BAD IDEA releases, including a strictly enforced “limit one per customer” policy on all BAD IDEA comics. Retailers who wish to apply directly can email BAD IDEA’s customer service team at hello@badideacorp.com.

Here are the people who should be held responsible for this: BAD IDEA will be led by Co-CEO & Co-Chief Creative Officer Dinesh ShamdasaniCo-CEO & Co-Chief Creative Officer Warren SimonsPublisher Hunter GorinsonDirector of Marketing Joshua Johns, and Sales Consultant Atom Freeman – reuniting the team that successfully resurrected Valiant Entertainment and re-forged the independent publishing house into the leading, award-winning industry force behind the upcoming BLOODSHOT feature film starring Vin Diesel from Sony Pictures.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:11 PM, Gatsby77 said:

Shooter at Valiant?

Wow. I read Solar, but not the others. And I thought that Solar was re-hashing some of the ideas from '90s Valiant Solar that seemed a little silly. result was I thought a lot of what Shooter thinks makes a good comic hasn't developed much since the '80s. I can only imagine how bad the others were if you think Solar was the bets of the bunch.

On 8/5/2022 at 2:57 PM, Flex Mentallo said:

Darn -that's one I missed entirely. Hopefully copies will reach distributors once the backers get their copies!

The Kickstarter had a "Retailer" support level where they got 6 copies at a reduced price. There were only 2 backers at that level, so there will potentially be 12 copies out there for sales, assuming they deliver on the Kickstarter.

On 8/6/2022 at 11:59 AM, GeeksAreMyPeeps said:

Wow. I read Solar, but not the others. And I thought that Solar was re-hashing some of the ideas from '90s Valiant Solar that seemed a little silly. result was I thought a lot of what Shooter thinks makes a good comic hasn't developed much since the '80s. I can only imagine how bad the others were if you think Solar was the bets of the bunch.

That pretty much hits the nail on the head, I think.

Shooter's writing style worked for the '80s - and for the early '90s, but it didn't work in 2010 - comic book storytelling had evolved in the intervening 20 years.

Say what you want about decompression in mainstream superhero books, but by 2010 there had been far better storytelling examples in:

• Incredible Hulk # 34-60
  • Batman: Hush
  • Astonishing X-Men # 1-20 or so
  • New Avengers # 1-12
  • The Ultimates # 1-13
  • Ultimate FF # 1-20
  • Planetary
  • Fables # 1-50
  • DMZ
  • 100 Bullets
  • Y: The Last Man

It pains me to admit it, but the Dynamite versions of Doctor Solar and Magnus were superior to Shooter's Dark Horse reboots of the same.