• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

C2E2 Variant Drama
25 25

4,557 posts in this topic

On 8/7/2022 at 5:34 AM, Ryan. said:

This has been going on at cons for at least 20 years, except back then it was mostly exclusive toys and statues, and now has expanded to comics. As long as collectors need their FOMO fix it will keep going. 

I think this one was a little different at least from what I can recall. Usually print runs of 750 are limited to how many can be sold to an individual customer. Many times most of those retailers won’t sell to exhibitors before the show (which appeared to be the case here) however I’m surprised that they didn’t put a cap on how many people could purchase 

i saw the line about 30+ deep about 15 minutes before the doors opened and thought about lining up but didn’t think the cover was that great 

books sold for $85 a piece (what I heard) so that person who purchased 125 spent $10k 

Several booths I heard about the complaints and the purchase - curious when that buyer will be named and how well they will sell those books. I assume the majority were dropped off at CGC 

On 8/7/2022 at 12:38 AM, darkstar said:

variants are garbage

simplified it for ya 🤣

But honestly there's something kinda sus about being mad about a "bunch of well known comic influencers" doing something shady while also not naming a single one. Raising awareness without naming names is kinda just marketing.

Edited by Sam T

On 8/7/2022 at 8:19 AM, Sam T said:

But honestly there's something kinda sus about being mad about a "bunch of well known comic influencers" doing something shady while also not naming a single one. Raising awareness without naming names is kinda just marketing.

Completely agree. Also, if there is really some transgression that's been committed, these things have a way of correcting themselves. Just enjoy the good of the hobby and ignore the BS.