• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing Poly-Bags and Signature events

12 posts in this topic

I have a number of 90s poly-bagged comics, including Spider-man 1 and X-Force 1.  I'd like to get some of them graded but wasn't sure if I need to remove the bag myself or let CGC do that during the grading process.  If the poly-bag comic also had a card with it, and CGC removes the bag, what happens to the card?  Lastly, in relation to a signature event hosted by CGC, how is a poly-bagged book handled then?  Thanks

SP1.jpeg

This is 100% the wrong forum for this - but maybe it will get moved.  You need to remove the book from the bag. I would suggest you get them pressed unless you want a 9.2 or less. The poly bag leaves a non-color-breaking seam on the comic and sometimes the card leaves an impression as well, depending upon storage.  Sig series is not much different than anything else, because you should remove the book yourself and get it pressed.

Seanfingh, thanks for your response.  My mistake on the forum.  I thought Modern age began with books from 2000.  I guess the books I mentioned are more Copper Age/Modern.  One other thought on this, there were some Whitman's that came in poly bags in the 70s and 80s, three packs I believe (Star Wars, Batman, Superman).  So in general, my question is when should you remove poly-bag?  Only if being graded?    

D.Bling, Thanks!  I tried looking it up on the site but had no luck.  I do have another question based on the post from CGC above - do you want the CGC label to say "poly-bag removed"?  I'm not sure if that specific note helps the books overall value.  

On 8/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, John Palmieri said:

Seanfingh, thanks for your response.  My mistake on the forum.  I thought Modern age began with books from 2000.  I guess the books I mentioned are more Copper Age/Modern.  One other thought on this, there were some Whitman's that came in poly bags in the 70s and 80s, three packs I believe (Star Wars, Batman, Superman).  So in general, my question is when should you remove poly-bag?  Only if being graded?    

One of the few things that I still collect are multi-paks. I do not remove the books from the polybags.  I consider the total artifact (the books and the bags) greater than the sum of the parts.  If you want to grade or read or store the books differently, that is certainly your right - but for me, the total package is where it is at.  Also, those 70's and 80's polys do not have a big seam running down the back (at least none of mine do.)  

On 8/8/2022 at 1:30 PM, John Palmieri said:

My mistake on the forum.  I thought Modern age began with books from 2000. 

I don’t believe he was referring to the age of the books in question. Your question could be best answered here.

https://boards.cgccomics.com/forum/48-the-signature-room/ 

On 8/8/2022 at 12:57 PM, John Palmieri said:

I do have another question based on the post from CGC above - do you want the CGC label to say "poly-bag removed"?  I'm not sure if that specific note helps the books overall value.

That's a generic note on issues that were originally bagged. It has nothing to do with any individual copy.

On 8/8/2022 at 4:03 PM, The Meta said:

In the case of Spiderman 1, best to have ccs open press and submit so they can rightfully label it as a bagged newsstand and not a regular newsstand 

I think newsstand variant were all polybagged.

Spider-Man #1 poly-bagged books are sent in for grading with or without the bags and this has caused some confusion and mislabeling at CGC. If you want to make sure it's labeled correctly I agree that it would be best to send in still in poly-bag and have it pressed by CCS.

I respectably disagree with The Meta about the 1st printing newsstand variant being sold without Poly-bag. One of us is right. :foryou:

Edited by jokiing

On 8/9/2022 at 3:44 PM, jokiing said:

Spider-Man #1 poly-bagged books are sent in for grading with or without the bags and this has caused some confusion and mislabeling at CGC. If you want to make sure it's labeled correctly I agree that it would be best to send in still in poly-bag and have it pressed by CCS.

I respectably disagree with The Meta about the 1st printing newsstand variant being sold without Poly-bag. On of us is right. :foryou:

Theres a thread about it floating around. I believe you can tell by missing colour near the left knee