• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Opportunity to get an FF1, but at a heavy 'trade' cost. What would you do?
1 1

27 posts in this topic

So a have found a very nice 2.5 FF1.  It looks like I can trade for the vast majority, or potentially all of, the cost of the book.

Currently in my pool is:

A nice presenting ASM 1 2.0 (I value around $11k)

ASM 14 7.0 ($7k)

Flash 110 4.0 (maybe $800).

The seller (good seller, I like this shop) mentioned I am about $8k off or so.  I have some heavy hitters but am waffling on the idea.  Included in the 'heavy hitters' list is

5.5 GSX 1

7.0 Incredible Hulk 181

Both of these would feel pretty bad to trade away.  But FF1 is a massive book.  If I did trade either of the two X Books, I would want to re-acquire them at some point.  I purchased these a long time ago so am up quite a bit on my existing copies.

What do you all think?  Would you go all in on a trade like this?

Yeah, I kind of think you should do it if this is a super-important book to you.  Most of the books you'll be trading away can be replaced.  And it's also true that you'll be able to find an FF #1, but I'd expect those prices to appreciate faster. 

It's hard though to build up all those great books and then not have them anymore so I sure understand your hesitancy.  

On 8/8/2022 at 6:17 PM, Batmanis#1 said:

Just curious you seem like a X-Men and Spidey guy why not either upgrade your ASM 1 or get X-Men 1?

Something like this CGC 5.0:

https://www.comiclink.com/itemdetail.asp?back=%2Fsearch.asp%3Fwhere%3Dsell%26title%3Damazing%2Bspiderman%2B1%26GO2%3DGO%26ItemType%3DCB&id=1601296

I’ve transitioned to reading a ton of FF and gotten really engrossed in the stories. I have an FF5 and now and FF3 so I’m thinking with an FF1 I can really start working on a run

On 8/8/2022 at 8:33 PM, Venomous72 said:

I’ve transitioned to reading a ton of FF and gotten really engrossed in the stories. I have an FF5 and now and FF3 so I’m thinking with an FF1 I can really start working on a run

If you have owned those books you have for a while they have appreciated at a higher rate than the FF1 so personally I would do it. FF1 has been pretty steady during all the craziness but it is not nearly as easy to find as your other books and it only takes a few people looking at once to drive up prices. Plus you can get in at today's price and look to upgrade. It is a great run to put together, so many great characters and villains.

On 8/8/2022 at 8:59 PM, Venomous72 said:

25k. 

With ASM1, ASM 14, GSX1, and Flash 110 it would still be a $5k cash difference

$25k is a bit high, but he's a shop, so that's fair when taking trades. He has to do more work selling multiple books instead of just one. 

Were it me, I'd offer the IH181, GSX1, and ASM1, plus $2k in cash. IH181 and GSX1 are common, so no issues replacing down the road. ASM1 far more common than FF1, so that's easier to replace as well. If you have the cash, use it. Inflation is killing it anyway. Might as well put it into something bound to appreciate.

Edited by Hulksdaddy1

On 8/8/2022 at 8:59 PM, Venomous72 said:

25k. 

With ASM1, ASM 14, GSX1, and Flash 110 it would still be a $5k cash difference

Is he putting your values above (11k ASM 1, 7k 14, 800 Flash 110) on the books? Does that mean he has the GSX 1 at $1,200 in the deal if you’re $5k short?

I think he’s a smidge high at 25, and I would think he’s doing the deal at least in part because he can sell the group of lower priced books somewhat more easily. Not every dealer has cultivated a customer base for $25k books.

On 8/8/2022 at 7:56 PM, Readcomix said:

Is he putting your values above (11k ASM 1, 7k 14, 800 Flash 110) on the books? Does that mean he has the GSX 1 at $1,200 in the deal if you’re $5k short?

I think he’s a smidge high at 25, and I would think he’s doing the deal at least in part because he can sell the group of lower priced books somewhat more easily. Not every dealer has cultivated a customer base for $25k books.

He has the GSX at $3k. I’m basically taking a 2-3k loss I think but I think that comes with a trade like this. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:12 PM, Venomous72 said:

He has the GSX at $3k. I’m basically taking a 2-3k loss I think but I think that comes with a trade like this. 

I wouldn’t necessarily think that way unless you are dealing with someone with a proven track record selling books in that weight class. I get the notion of quantity for quality but this is quality for quality with a cash component and, I Suspect, easier liquidity for him. (Unless you know that I’m off on that point). I still see no justification for overpaying given all the separate elements involved in the deal.

On 8/8/2022 at 8:17 PM, Readcomix said:

I wouldn’t necessarily think that way unless you are dealing with someone with a proven track record selling books in that weight class. I get the notion of quantity for quality but this is quality for quality with a cash component and, I Suspect, easier liquidity for him. (Unless you know that I’m off on that point). I still see no justification for overpaying given all the separate elements involved in the deal.

Makes sense, thank you. 

and he has some pretty heavy inventory at his shop.  Lots of $50k+ books. 

On 8/8/2022 at 10:19 PM, Venomous72 said:

Makes sense, thank you. 

and he has some pretty heavy inventory at his shop.  Lots of $50k+ books. 

You’re welcome; of course one could say I’m wrong; just my sense of it. There is an upper limit to how much he is going to sell any one book for so I don’t see what you have to pay such a premium ($3000 over full price ask) when he is potentially achieving as much $$ or more, more easily.

I just realized that part about heavy inventory because I looked up the copy after recalling KPR’s post above about the eBay listing. (thumbsu He still may prefer a handful of more easily sold books to the 800-lb gorilla. After all, he’s got a lot of gorillas in his zoo. 

On 8/8/2022 at 6:10 PM, KPR Comics said:

I wouldn't do it.  Seems overpriced, and you're giving up a lot.  The Hulk, Flash and GSX1, meh, but I wouldn't trade an ASM 1 or 14 (in that grade).

ditto this. i would not do the deal. ff1 is also quite overpriced at the moment. 

I know what you're going through. I am sorry to say you may be over-estimating the current market of your books to trade. ASM 1 2.0 is about 8 to 9k right now and ASM 14 7.0 about 5k. If it were me I'd move the ASM 1, the Giant X-Men, and the Flash. That should get you pretty close. 

Then reacquire the X-Men 1 in 7.0 to match your 181.

But I just saw- 25k for the FF1? If so way too much especially if private sale. 18 to 20k  tops.

Edited by Professor K