• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any ANTARCTIC PRESS Comics fans here?
3 3

77 posts in this topic

They've been in business since 1985. One of the longest continuous running indie publishers out there and yet they get very little exposure. I guess they like to play the long game. I love AP comics and would like to see if there are any other fans out there. Here is their very first publication from August of 1985. I is smaller than a normal comic and the cover is printed on newsprint. It features the debut of COMBAT MECHA TIGER-X which is about a Soviet invasion of the USA using giant Gundam style mecha.

R.jpg

On 8/12/2022 at 7:45 AM, APDallas said:

EXTREMELY SILLY COMICS #1

Appearing in April of 1986 is sports a black and white newsprint cover for only 75¢ (which would be $1.91 today). Features a very early parody of the TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES fighting Samurai Penguin.image.thumb.jpeg.e3bd4de73e9b79af53228987d588ca69.jpeg

Holy Crap! I remember buying that back in the day.Got gone when I sold out 20+ years ago.But I do remember it:whistle:

Here is GENUS #4. Not only is it a "furry" comic but is also adult (when it was considered still acceptable). Not only does it sport a Terry Moore cover of STRANGERS IN PARADISE fame but has interior art as well. I guess when you are starting out you'll do just about anything.

R-2.jpg.2fdefad8ea94dcb0e2b8f1041d53fc24.jpg

Edited by APDallas

On 8/31/2022 at 9:06 PM, APDallas said:

Those are good pick ups. The Serina and Trudyverse are early David Hahn comics.

The Trudyverse looks cool. I set it aside to flip through later :smile:

All these books are new to me.  No clue what contains what.  

On 8/31/2022 at 8:31 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

The Trudyverse looks cool. I set it aside to flip through later :smile:

All these books are new to me.  No clue what contains what.  

I think you'll like them depending on your taste. The TRUDYVERSE is very kookie. The SERINA series is a WARRIOR NUN spin-off and is a part of the universe.  The others are manga series except for HITOMI which is a NINJA HIGH SCHOOL series.

Antarctic Press worked with STAN SAKAI to bring the first comic accurate version of his character in action figure form. It was a modest success and there were plans to do more but then the market crashed. Antarctic Press reportedly had large numbers of unsold figures destroyed as per contract.

.image.jpeg.5a99ecbf5e6e97cbee051408cdfe76c2.jpeg

Edited by APDallas