• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Any ANTARCTIC PRESS Comics fans here?
3 3

78 posts in this topic

Another batch of AP goodness met with CGC goodness!  The gold-embossed Small-Bodied NHS 1 deluxe is notorious for having the gold flake off.  They're also individually serial numbered on the cover, but CGC has been inconsistent with noting that on the label.  This one is #123, which I think is fun.

received_184098412893888.jpeg

On 9/30/2022 at 11:41 AM, APDallas said:

One of the few companies at the time during war comics. Ted Nomura also explored alternate history.

The next series I want to dive in to, once I finish getting the last few issues of Twilight X. I always enjoyed the way Ted integrated such detailed vehicles into his artwork.

IMG_20200304_221847937.jpg

On 10/7/2022 at 9:00 AM, wardevil0 said:

I've always been curious about the pixelated cover art to SiP 3, I wonder if it was originally drawn on computer or scanned for reproduction at a lower resolution?

Yes. it was mistake in the print file. Back in the 1990's it was often difficult to access the file size and mistakes did happen.

This issue has the first published appearance of Gold Digger, the long-running series (approaching 300 issues!) about a super-scientist archaeologist and her were-cheetah adopted sister.  This was a couple of years before Tomb Raider made the scantily-clad archaeologist a mainstream genre.

Mangazine 11.jpg

On 10/27/2022 at 10:11 PM, APDallas said:

Just saw this

10438F88-00A7-4D60-93EB-B118652F4BB2.jpeg

As much as I love Antarctic Press and am glad they're finally getting some attention, I think some of these speculator rushes are just scams.  This isn't a Sailor Moon comic, it's a news/reviews magazine in comic book size (since about issue 14).  It might be neat to have an early US appearance, but it's not much different from collecting Wizard or Comic Shop News, as far as I can tell, except you can trick people who will never open it into thinking it's a comic.

I have almost all of this Mangazine run, and it's a great resource for news and opinions from the time period, especially the retrospective articles by Shon Howell about his time with General Products USA.  The hype building around the Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z issues is just from speculators who raided dollar bins and launched a "pump and dump" campaign.

Now, the Leeanna and Dog Supreme short story in issue 28 is something worth looking for!