• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Open discussion off the c2e2 drama. Are influencers destroying the hobby?
3 3

151 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2022 at 3:15 PM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

.... some down right sh%tty people being looked at as ambassadors for the hobby

You leave CGC management out of this. 

On 8/10/2022 at 10:26 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

"Influencers" are good for nothing. "Destroying the hobby?" Maybe not, but they highlight the worst aspects of the hobby.

Maybe a better way of phrasing it. But I look at some as being here only to see what they can gain from it.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:32 AM, Beastfeast said:

It was only a matter of time before they came into the hobby.  If you've been around for video game streamers, box crackers, professional product reviewers, etc., you knew the absurd and performative "hype" that goes along with them.  The reason comic influencers are using it is because it works.  

Look at the thumbnails used for the most popular YouTube videos - It's all dumb surprise face and terrible layout.  That's what the kids are clicking on, though.  

It's not destroying anything except gullible peoples' wallets, right now.  However, when new collectors get a sour taste and feel cheated, they don't tend to stick around.  

And I suppose that's what I was getting at with the "destroying" part. I am familiar with all of those other things you mentioned, but do they have the direct effect on the monetary side of the hobby like these people do?

On 8/10/2022 at 11:45 AM, Old Fashion PB and J said:

And I suppose that's what I was getting at with the "destroying" part. I am familiar with all of those other things you mentioned, but do they have the direct effect on the monetary side of the hobby like these people do?

They probably do through Patreon, Twitch subs, donations, merch, buying over-priced product so they can be named during an opening/unboxing.  But not in the same way as comics - you're right.  There's way more money at stake in comics, potentially.  

On 8/10/2022 at 9:02 AM, jsilverjanet said:

i don't think they are destroying, and i would say in some cases they do bring some enthusiasm to this hobby that sometimes is filled with very tired views/attitudes

like all things, there are good ones and bad ones

Agreed, they do draw the youngsters.  I think they may actually be preserving the hobby for the next generation and that is equally terrifying to me for some reason.

Influencers may have an impact on the younger generations and the comic speculators, but I myself am not influenced.  I like what I like and buy what I like.

BTW, anyone have a copy of that new C2E2 variant?  I hear it's the cat's butt and I gotta have it!!! :headbang:

How hard would it take for an 'influencer' to disrupt the hobby?

Buy all copies of X title off eBay / mycomicshop using various accounts.
(heck we know of CGC board members with MANY different buyer / seller eBay accounts)

Once there are no copies for a week or so create a video about the 'run' on X title.
Then they list one using one of their multiple accounts (ACCOUNT 1) 2 two minutes after.
Then ACCOUNT 2 does a BIN for super high price almost immediately.
Then ACCOUNT 3 - INFINITY lists theirs with increasing prices.
Then they dump them.

Edited by Troy Division