• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

High grade, mid grade and low grade - ?

41 posts in this topic

Individuals on this board, at cons, etc. categorize CGC comics as "high grade," "mid grade" or "low grade," but what does that mean exactly? Is there some standard, accepted definition of these or is it completely arbitrary? It seems like the latter to me, but I could be wrong.

Does the sequential, quantitative order resemble academic grades (A, B, C, D, F)? Would the grades be segregated in the way below?

High grade = 8.0 and above
Mid grade = 6.0-7.5
Low grade = 0.5 to 5.5

Just trying to make some sense of all this when people categorize comics in this way.

its subjective, but you're close enough.

On 8/10/2022 at 11:15 AM, PatrioticMarine said:

"high grade," "mid grade" or "low grade," but what does that mean exactly

You might think of it this way:

The idea of a 25-point condition scale for any collectible is ridiculous and is a recent development within an 80 year old hobby. For the average human, accurately determining a comic book's rating over a 25-point scale is essentially a crapshoot when the standards are a trade secret. Even the best graders on this board have proven themselves to be off by a half-point to a point on average.

However, the typical collector does generally know the condition they can afford and what they are happy with owning.

The terms you reference are shorthand for that idea of "the condition I'm ok with" and basically come down to:

"looks rough" 

"nice enough for most"

and "basically perfect."

The particulars are fluid and aren't as important, but it generally divides the 25-point scale evenly because the scale is already weighted (is that the right word math people? exponential? logarithmic?)

Anyway,

If a seller says "I have a low grade Daredevil #1" and you only collect high-grade books, then you know to move along.

If a buyer says "I'm looking for a mid-grade Hulk #1", then the seller can say "I have a low-grade one, but it presents really well; might that work?"

A collector might say "I'm trying to fill-in a run" and a fellow collector might say "I've got some junk copies if you're interested".

I hope this post was useful to someone, even if it didn't accurately address your question 🥳

On 8/10/2022 at 10:26 AM, lizards2 said:

Personally, I put the bar a little higher for High Grade - 9.0 and above.

But yes, very subjective.  And everyone's eyesight is a little different, and generally deteriorates with age.

That was also the first comment that came to my mind. "High" with a minimum 9.0 and that can be argued. 

On 8/10/2022 at 1:31 PM, AndyFish said:

Yup subjective but the term "High grade" to me would rank VF+ or better, so...

8.5 Up - High Grade

4.0-8.5 - Mid Grade

0.5-3.5 - Low Grade

Exactly what my ad hoc scale is - 8.5+ HG 4.0-8.0 Mid grade then everything else low. UHG is anything I think will grade 9.6+

I used to have NM as my definition of high grade, but I have owned too many smoking hot 8.5-9.2 Silver and Bronze and they changed my mind.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, seanfingh said:

I think it is. It has enough flaws that I would be focusing on the flaws and not the book so, not high grade. But I respect your opinion. 

PS, I would tell you to "smoke a J, skate rat," but I got my post removed the last time I did.

On 8/10/2022 at 3:37 PM, seanfingh said:

I think it is. It has enough flaws that I would be focusing on the flaws and not the book so, not high grade. But I respect your opinion. 

I focus on the flaws of 9.0s & 9.2s as well.   Can’t believe some of the junk sitting in 9.0 & 9.2 slabs right now. 

Another useful reason for the classification. Many comic dealers will have the midgrade and lower in boxes out on the floor at 50% off, being that the demand is fairly low. Then they'll have the secret stash of high grade (hence high cost) books behind the desk in mylars or in another room by invite only. Though there will also be low grades in the high grade stash if price warrents (e.g. Avengers 1 wouldn't be in any low grade box regardless of the grade... that being said, I remember years ago seeing a low grade DD1 in the floor boxes, wish I grabbed it).

Edited by bronze_rules

On 8/10/2022 at 5:06 PM, valiantman said:

One possible answer:

653152981_highgrade_cgccensus1.png.f22b2f44581504716d33a735274caad7.png

Nope. That's relative, which requires complete knowledge of supply. That may almost work for CGC-graded copies, but otherwise...

On 8/10/2022 at 5:52 PM, Lazyboy said:
On 8/10/2022 at 5:06 PM, valiantman said:

One possible answer:

653152981_highgrade_cgccensus1.png.f22b2f44581504716d33a735274caad7.png

Expand  

Nope. That's relative, which requires complete knowledge of supply. That may almost work for CGC-graded copies, but otherwise...

I was thinking we were on the CGC board. :gossip: