• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Maxx Aschan Received Universal Grade - 10 Others Received Qualified Grades
6 6

80 posts in this topic

On 8/14/2022 at 3:06 PM, Shaun03 said:

Thanks. No problems sharing. I've included pictures of the labels below in case I mistype the number. I also included the black #2 I have, in case you don't have it, it was graded when I bought it. I'm not sure why the pictures are posting upside down.

EDIT: I just got to thinking you might mean the number written on the cover so I added that in parenthesis after the CGC number.

1 - 4078327006 (On cover: 27)

2 - 0798275002 (On cover: 5)

3 - 4078327007 (On cover: 9)

Black Aschan 1.jpg

Black Ashcan 2.jpg

Black Ashcan 3.jpg

Thanks for sharing these.  Congrats on landing all three Blacks.  Do you have the full set of 12 ashcans?  I imagine you have to be pretty close.  Would love to see them all together once you get that green label on the yellow sorted out.  

On 9/3/2022 at 1:01 AM, baslug said:

Thanks for sharing these.  Congrats on landing all three Blacks.  Do you have the full set of 12 ashcans?  I imagine you have to be pretty close.  Would love to see them all together once you get that green label on the yellow sorted out.  

Thanks. I do have all twelve now and some extras I've collected over the years along with other Maxx editions. It took me 13 years to get all of the ashcans. The hardest for me to find was the yellow 3. Luckily I found someone on the forums here that was selling it and I was able to pick it up. I also stumbled across the mini comic platinum edition. Sadly that one did not come back as a 9.8 even though it looked like it was great condition. The only ones I'm missing are the red and blue 1/2s but the asking prices for those are just too high. I offered someone $3,000 a piece for them several years ago and was shot down so I don't think I'll ever see those. The yellow with the blue label is back at CGC waiting for grading right now. Once I get it back I'll post a picture of all of them here.

I received the yellow #3 back and it does have a green label now, but it is still graded a 4.0. I received a message from a CGC representative while it was being graded stating, "The Graders have reviewed your request for a green label due to the signature on the cover, however, because this book has enough defects to lower the grade to a 4.0 thus making it too low to "Qualify", therefore the blue label is correct." After that, I received it back and it does have a green label now, so that adds to the confusion. I asked about grader notes since it was still receiving such a low grade and haven't received a response on that yet. I did look up a couple of CGC 4.0 books online to see what others look like and I am more confused as to how this book is graded so low compared to what I found. Below are pictures of the book returned with the green label. After that are a couple of books I found online that were also 4.0s. I don't know how a grader can look at these and say they are equal in condition. I also tried to lookup the categories for the different grades from CGC and all I found were vague descriptions stating minor, moderate or major defects. I wasn't able to find anything that described what the difference was between the three, or what drops a book down from one grade to the other.

My Yellow #3 is by no means perfect, there are defects, but it is not nearly as bad as the others I looked at with the same grade. I might try getting it pressed in the future and see what that does. Thanks to everyone for all of the advice previously, I do appreciate learning some new stuff and the responses from the community.

IMG-2141.jpg

IMG-2142.jpg

IMG-2143.jpg

IMG-2144.jpg

IMG-2145.jpg

IMG-2146.jpg

IMG-2147.jpg

IMG-2148.jpg

AMAZING-FANTASY-15-CGC-6.0 - Back.jpg

AMAZING-SPIDER-MAN-11-CGC-4.0.jpg

Iron-Man-1-CGC-4.0-1-Back-scaled.jpg

Iron-Man-1-CGC-4.0-1-scaled.jpg

CGC is messin' with you.  Take a look at the label notes -- they're not "all cap" as they should be with a Qualified (Green) Label.  Just compare it with the other books in your order.  The uppercase/lowercase format of the label notes suggests that the grader intended for this to be encapsulated with something other than a Green Label.  :facepalm:

M1.thumb.jpg.4dbee800cfd286ba4f58f20d8a8671cb.jpg

The CGC Certification record suggests that this should've been encapsulated with a Signature Series (Yellow) Label -- which is absolutely ridiculous, given that the creator signature was not witnessed.  At least two distinct/separate whiffs on a single pitch.  Not easy.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  lol

4078327009.png.0cbe9bacc6aedd23fef38fff7b742018.png

Finally, we have a condition grade of 4.0 VG and zero Grader Notes.  Is it asking too much to identify even one significant blemish or flaw?  (shrug)  Clown world. 

Edited by zzutak

• Administrator
On 10/17/2022 at 10:23 AM, Shaun03 said:

I received the yellow #3 back and it does have a green label now, but it is still graded a 4.0. I received a message from a CGC representative while it was being graded stating, "The Graders have reviewed your request for a green label due to the signature on the cover, however, because this book has enough defects to lower the grade to a 4.0 thus making it too low to "Qualify", therefore the blue label is correct."

I recommend sending this book back to us as a ME  Be sure to put it to the attn of Matt Nelson in large letters.  Also, place a note on the packing slip that this book was supposed to be in a blue holder, mention that the certification lookup says it belongs in a yellow label (which is not true) and ask for that to be changed as well.  Finally, ask that Matt look at the book and see if he agrees with the 4.0 grade.  You can add that this is the second time sending back and were told by the graders it didn't qualify for a green label because of the low grade.  Mention that CGC Mike suggested this ME.

On 10/17/2022 at 10:14 AM, zzutak said:

CGC is messin' with you.  Take a look at the label notes -- they're not "all cap" as they should be with a Qualified (Green) Label.  Just compare it with the other books in your order.  The uppercase/lowercase format of the label notes suggests that the grader intended for this to be encapsulated with something other than a Green Label.  :facepalm:

M1.thumb.jpg.4dbee800cfd286ba4f58f20d8a8671cb.jpg

The CGC Certification record suggests that this should've been encapsulated with a Signature Series (Yellow) Label -- which is absolutely ridiculous, given that the creator signature was not witnessed.  At least two distinct/separate whiffs on a single pitch.  Not easy.  :facepalm:  :facepalm:  lol

4078327009.png.0cbe9bacc6aedd23fef38fff7b742018.png

Finally, we have a condition grade of 4.0 VG and zero Grader Notes.  Is it asking too much to identify even one significant blemish or flaw?  (shrug)  Clown world. 

I see what you mean about the upper and lower case lettering, I hadn't noticed that, that's interesting. The grader notes are what I was looking for though, at least that would give me an idea of what the defects are and give me an idea if pressing it would help a good amount or just be a minor thing. I do see a few spine ticks, one of them looks like it breaks color and the corners aren't the best. I appreciate the heads up.

On 10/17/2022 at 11:52 AM, CGC Mike said:

I recommend sending this book back to us as a ME  Be sure to put it to the attn of Matt Nelson in large letters.  Also, place a note on the packing slip that this book was supposed to be in a blue holder, mention that the certification lookup says it belongs in a yellow label (which is not true) and ask for that to be changed as well.  Finally, ask that Matt look at the book and see if he agrees with the 4.0 grade.  You can add that this is the second time sending back and were told by the graders it didn't qualify for a green label because of the low grade.  Mention that CGC Mike suggested this ME.

Hey Mike, thanks for the reply. I'll open an ME order and get it sent off as soon as I can, probably this weekend. I do have to say that it is tempting to keep the only ashcan that was actually witnessed being signed by CGC though!

I'm not sure if you can make it happen, but if it truly is a 4.0 book, can I get some grader's notes with it this time so I know what the major defects are that are causing it to be that low? If it is a 4.0, then that is what it is, I would just like to know why it is after looking at other 4.0 books that look like they have a lot more issues with them.

• Administrator
On 10/17/2022 at 3:46 PM, Shaun03 said:

I'm not sure if you can make it happen, but if it truly is a 4.0 book, can I get some grader's notes with it this time so I know what the major defects are that are causing it to be that low? If it is a 4.0, then that is what it is, I would just like to know why it is after looking at other 4.0 books that look like they have a lot more issues with them.

If you send it in as a ME, PM me the submission number.  No promises but, I will look into it.  Just be sure to follow all of my instructions above.

On 10/17/2022 at 9:52 AM, CGC Mike said:

Was this meant to be a PM? :baiting:

On 12/18/2022 at 11:48 PM, Cool_Comics said:

Since it's now a 7.0 it should be in a Green label. Unless it was a 9.0 before the scribble damage was deducted...?

From what I've read in my research, it will normally receive a green label. If it would grade low without the signature if receives a blue label. If the condition is good then a green label can be given and it is graded as if the signature was not there. As discussed earlier in this thread though, this is at the discretion of the grader. It being a blue 7.0 did make me wonder if would grade higher without the signature and number on the cover when I opened it. I have sent it back three times now though so at this point it is what it is. It does have flaws. Whether those flaws make it a 7.0 or not, I do not know. I knew it did not deserve a 4.0, but at the level it is at now, that is beyond my ability to debate since I don't know what the actual grading criteria is. You always hope for a higher grade, but I think this one is fair. My OCD does cringe a little because all of the others are green, but what can you do. CGC Mike was awesome for stepping in, and everyone in this thread was amazing with their support. I think 7.0 is fair so I'm not going to press just to get the label changed to be green in color.

On 12/18/2022 at 5:01 PM, Shaun03 said:

I want to say thank you to everyone who provided help and guidance with this. I received the yellow ashcan back today and it is graded a 7.0 now. It has a blue label, but at least it has a better grade now. This is a great community and I appreciate the support with this.

Yello Ashcan - 7.0.jpg

I don’t understand what’s going on here.  It was a blue 4.0

You wanted it green

Now you have it back as a 7.0 blue.???