• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CLOSED — Behold: Evermore! - Auctioning a full run of Kamandi
2 2

33 posts in this topic

Up for auction is a full run of Kamandi, issues #1-59. I just read it over the summer, and it’s a blast; classic Kirby (he wrote and illustrated the first 34 issues, illustrated through 40. Gerry Conway took over scripting with 35, and other pencillers from 41-59 included Chic Stone and Keith Giffen. Some nice Joe Kubert covers in here too, after Kirby stopped doing covers in the mid-30s.)

It’s easy to look at that 1972 cover of #1 and dismiss it as capitalizing on Planet of the Apes, but really it’s Kirby invading the realm of Carl Barks and Walt Kelly and doing anthropomorphic animals Kirby-style: just as much philosophy as those other masters, but loads of brawls and slugfests and a touch of poignancy too. There is humor as well, though the animals are not meant to be funny. Often, the tribes of talking animals Kamandi encounters includes worshippers of the lost pop culture of intelligent humans; the animals have turned bits of pop culture history into religious worship. Kirby presaged the movie “The Gods Must Be Crazy,” but he did it with talking animals.

The Fourth World stuff deservedly gets the love, but Kamandi may well be his best, richest DC work. Kirby creates his own world, telling the story of the last boy on earth in a world of talking, intelligent animals after the Great Disaster has wiped out humanity’s reign. In Kirby’s world, humans are grunting, wandering herd animals. Of course, there’s mutants and aliens and robots too….

Rules (Please, please read)

:rulez:

Opening bid is $1 (yeah, that’s right — let’s have us a barroom brawl for these things!); bids increase in $1 increments. BIN is $650 (I have purposely set a BIN toward the high end of fair range so that we can have a fun auction. It is a bargain compared to those on offer on eBay right now, though; and nicer than ones that sold for less.) 

I will post that auction is open once all pix are up. Auction closes at 11 pm EST this coming Thursday night, Aug. 18. (A 10:59 pm bid can win, an 11 pm bid is late.)

Payment is Check or Money Order (yeah, yeah I know I'm a dinosaur, troglodyte, luddite, mennonite, hermaphrodite etc. - I just don't have or want e-payments.)

Shipping: USPS Priority shipping is $30. I’m figuring 2 medium priority boxes needed, but if I can save the winner some shipping $$ with Region B boxes I will. Canada ships at actual, which would likely be astronomical, sadly.

Don't be listy (tsk) including the little one in my head.

Returns: Sure, just notify me within three days of receipt and get it back to me in the same shape on your dime.

(Kudos thread linked under my avatar.)

Edited by Readcomix

#1 is probably a VF/VF-. Much of the run is high side of mid-grade, but not super high grade. Most books probably fall between FVF ago VFNM (7.0-9.0) but there’s definitely a few outliers both below and above that, though not too much below or above. #2, a pressable VF, has a Mark Jewler’s insert. Here come the pix:

Edited by Readcomix
Typo

24 hours in and the Magnificent Seven is in da houzzzzz!!!! :headbang:

Fittingly, we have a barroom brawl over a full set of the master of the slugfest’s fine work :cloud9:

In honor of Kirby and his cigar-chomping lower east side persona, it’s probably best if you read the early recap in the voice of one of those old school horse track announcers:

And we’re off! @Pitboss jumps out to an early lead but @musicmeta quickly opens up the gap…coming up on the outside to pull ahead is @steveinthecity@jimjum12 pulls ahead around the first turn but @Microbia noses past him at the top of the backstretch….coming around the clubhouse turn, @Cephusdog noses in front….and now it’s @jayhawker in the lead at $85! :sumo:

Man, with three days to go, this ain’t no joint fer half-a-sissies…