• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do Marvel Tales hold any kind of value?

25 posts in this topic

I was reorganizing my collection and found a bunch of copies of Marvel Tales that I think I acquired as an aside, so I don't have any real attachment to them, and as such, would gladly flip them for books I'm actually interested in. They're largely issues between 150 and 200, in generally good condition. Probably 7.5 and up.

When I say "value" I know I'm not sitting on gold, but are they generally $1 bin fodder or is there a little bit more there? I was considering taking them to a local shop and literally asking if they'd do a straight swap for other dollar books.

Some of the Marvel Tales use the same cover art as the ASM issue they reprinted.  However, there are some that have original art (or art that didn't make cut on the original ASM issue).  Issues in the 20s and 30s (I particularly remember a cool Vulture cover on #34 and a nice Kingpin cover on #36) had some really nice original art covers.  These would hold more value, but I don't know about 150 - 200... especially in 7.5.

On 8/17/2022 at 8:58 PM, pemart1966 said:

My memory may be faulty but as I recall, there were editorial changes throughout

The only thing faulty here is the series!

All manner of alterations to covers and interiors: page removal, panel removal, panel extension, story division extension, story division sub-division, page mirroring, black and white colorization, text resizing, character costume changes, character removal, who knows what else 

On 8/18/2022 at 7:18 AM, KirbyTown said:

The only thing faulty here is the series!

All manner of alterations to covers and interiors: page removal, panel removal, panel extension, story division extension, story division sub-division, page mirroring, black and white colorization, text resizing, character costume changes, character removal, who knows what else 

I was unaware of these, err, editorial changes! I guess originals ran to 20 or 21 pgs and most likely Marvel was down to offering us just 17 pgs of story by then, hence all the cuts & changes. Thanks for alerting us.

On 8/18/2022 at 1:35 AM, LowGradeBronze said:

I was unaware of these, err, editorial changes! I guess originals ran to 20 or 21 pgs and most likely Marvel was down to offering us just 17 pgs of story by then, hence all the cuts & changes. Thanks for alerting us.

Here are two pages from ASM 109 combined into one for MT 88. Note the inserted continuity speech bubbles in panel 2 and 3 on the reprint:

8A016576-0D9D-4252-A117-604812DEF7CB.thumb.jpeg.9bf13ead73b80b3a18d0b369177620c4.jpeg0118685A-5E51-41C4-B854-CE679E377F9E.thumb.jpeg.0ae0a662481d5e59b0a469c11db766d6.jpegE6B01993-AA17-474E-9103-E9A2F5AE5368.thumb.jpeg.bb6d675fa73fff27edc652dba74801f7.jpeg

Edited by KirbyTown

If I had to start over collecting in todays market I would be collecting reprint issues of the early/mid Silver Age and "Key" books. With todays prices many folks cannot afford the original so demand for reprint issues such as Marvel Tales, Fantasy Masterpieces, Marvel Milestone Editions, etc., is going to increase, look what happened with the GRR's.

If you already have original copies of these books and are looking to create more space then find them a nice home, if not keep them, maybe look to complete the run, as a "collector" you have many options.

https://www.mycomicshop.com/search?TID=85061

On 8/19/2022 at 8:23 AM, marvelmaniac said:

look what happened with the GRR's

I agree that demand exists, but I'd argue that only the 60's reprint books are low enough in supply to have any value, not to mention how far later book stray from the original.

I'd also argue that collectors find GRRs unique in non-reprint ways that might justify their value.

Years ago, I had found a super high grade run of all the Todd McFarlane covers and had them signed. I was getting $300 and up per copy in 9.8. The 9.6's were getting in the $125-150 range depending on the cover. So, they have value, but you have to get creative.

Has anyone followed the value and demand of Marvel Tales #98 & #99 reprinting Amazing Spider-Man #121 & #122?

I bought multiple copies from a distributor when they came out in the 70's.  They never made it to the newsstand to get handled there.  And were kept in dry, dark stable living area room temp since then.  So they are bright, white, flat and clean.

Overstreet still lumps them together with the range of $3 books and does not show a special value to these issues...

Definitely not $3 books! Fairly high demand considering prices of originals. Right or wrong I tend to go by mycomicshop prices for their own stock. (Not for consigned items!!!) They have a 98 for $40 in 7.0 and 99 is currently out of stock, but likely same ballpark or slightly less. Yours sound as if they will be 7.0 and above maybe. 

Edited by LowGradeBronze