• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craziest transaction stories
2 2

37 posts in this topic

Someone I trust a lot in this hobby told me a story about a single piece of art being exchanged for a house (!) in Malibu years ago. I don't know whether a thread has ever been started for this purpose, but I would love to hear about some of these crazier transactions -- maybe even one you did!

Edited by KirbyCollector

Not a transaction per se… but here goes…

Some time ago, I bought a piece listed in the CBG as a Nick Cardy prelim to a DC horror cover.  I don’t remember if there was an image or not.  Even so, there wasn’t enough there that it would reproduce very well.  But at the time, I was buying just about any art that mentioned Nick.  It cost something like $110 + shipping. 

So now I have the piece.  It always bothered me… because I was pretty sure it wasn’t drawn by Nick but I never asked him.  So this is a 70’s piece that I bought in the 90’s.  Anyway, one day, in the 00’s, I settled on the idea that it was drawn by another artist.  That artist would also appear at some local shows.  So the next show, I brought the piece for the artist to sign if it was his work.

So I show him the piece.  Yes, he drew it.  He’s pointing to drawings he’s selling… see, that’s how I draw faces.   Anyway, so now we’re both holding onto the art because he won’t give it back to me.  Someone broke into his house a long time ago and stole a bunch of art.  We’re going back and forth a few times… “It’s my art”… “I paid for it”... “It’s my art”…   Now we all know there’s no way to prove any particular of piece paper was stolen.  And the art could very well have been throw in the trash at the DC offices.  It was kind of a quiet corner of the convention.  And one of the artists kind of saw what was happening and decided to leave.  And I really can’t argue this out with an older guy at a comic show.  He asks me how much I paid for it.  So I say $110 in the 90’s.  So he says, OK, for me to get the art back, I have to give him $110.  So it didn’t take that much longer for me to just let go of the art.  So then he says something like, “if you see any more of my art, give it to me”.  Like hey, he was good artist but I really wasn’t a fan of his before that day.

Edited by Will_K

On 8/19/2022 at 11:35 AM, Will_K said:

Not a transaction per se… but here goes…

Some time ago, I bought a piece listed in the CBG as a Nick Cardy prelim to a DC horror cover.  I don’t remember if there was an image or not.  Even so, there wasn’t enough there that it would reproduce very well.  But at the time, I was buying just about any art that mentioned Nick.  It cost something like $110 + shipping. 

So now I have the piece.  It always bothered me… because I was pretty sure it wasn’t drawn by Nick but I never asked him.  So this is a 70’s piece that I bought in the 90’s.  Anyway, one day, in the 00’s, I settled on the idea that it was drawn by another artist.  That artist would also appear at some local shows.  So the next show, I brought the piece for the artist to sign if it was his work.

So I show him the piece.  Yes, he drew it.  He’s pointing to drawings he’s selling… see, that’s how I draw faces.   Anyway, so now we’re both holding onto the art because he won’t give it back to me.  Someone broke into his house a long time ago and stole a bunch of art.  We’re going back and forth a few times… “It’s my art”… “I paid for it”... “It’s my art”…   Now we all know there’s no way to prove any particular of piece paper was stolen.  And the art could very well have been throw in the trash at the DC offices.  It was kind of a quiet corner of the convention.  And one of the artists kind of saw what was happening and decided to leave.  And I really can’t argue this out with an older guy at a comic show.  He asks me how much I paid for it.  So I say $110 in the 90’s.  So he says, OK, for me to get the art back, I have to give him $110.  So it didn’t take that much longer for me to just let go of the art.  So then he says something like, “if you see any more of my art, give it to me”.  Like hey, he was good artist but I really wasn’t a fan of his before that day.

You're nicer than I would be if someone was trying to steal from me

On 8/23/2022 at 3:09 PM, kbmcvay said:

Can you provide basic descriptions of the people involved in this transaction? 

Agreed. I'm a simple man, I absolutely must have more information about this transaction.