• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Craziest transaction stories
2 2

37 posts in this topic

On 8/22/2022 at 4:23 PM, Matches_Malone said:

Not a crazy transaction, but not exactly typical either. The year was 2008, and I was living in Scottsdale, Arizona. So after finishing my daily routine of scouting for art in CAF, eBay, every dealer's website, dragonberry (remember?), and whatever other dark corner of the web offered art, I decided to check Craigslist. 
I go through my fav artist names search, And there I see it; "trading my Drew Hayes Poison Elves original art for guns."
I'm a sucker for early PE art, so I contacted the guy immediately. We met at a Walmart parking lot and agreed to a deal. No, I did not trade guns but gave him this shoddy compound crossbow that I had for years for the inside back cover of Issue # 1. 
We briefly talked about guns and original art, but I will never forget the look on his face when he said, "I can't wait for Drew to start working on a new book." And I replied, "Well...It's going to be really difficult because he died a few months ago." 
A week after, he called me to see if I would trade it back for a Smith & Wesson. I declined, and I still have the art. 

image.jpeg

That story is 100% a lie.

On 8/27/2022 at 7:31 PM, underw0rld said:
On 8/23/2022 at 7:23 AM, Matches_Malone said:

Not a crazy transaction, but not exactly typical either. The year was 2008, and I was living in Scottsdale, Arizona. So after finishing my daily routine of scouting for art in CAF, eBay, every dealer's website, dragonberry (remember?), and whatever other dark corner of the web offered art, I decided to check Craigslist. 
I go through my fav artist names search, And there I see it; "trading my Drew Hayes Poison Elves original art for guns."
I'm a sucker for early PE art, so I contacted the guy immediately. We met at a Walmart parking lot and agreed to a deal. No, I did not trade guns but gave him this shoddy compound crossbow that I had for years for the inside back cover of Issue # 1. 
We briefly talked about guns and original art, but I will never forget the look on his face when he said, "I can't wait for Drew to start working on a new book." And I replied, "Well...It's going to be really difficult because he died a few months ago." 
A week after, he called me to see if I would trade it back for a Smith & Wesson. I declined, and I still have the art. 

image.jpeg

:popcorn:

On 8/27/2022 at 4:31 AM, underw0rld said:

I love the fact that Matches gave you an 👍 to saying his story is a lie. That’s a guy that’s not backing down. You have me twisted homie. You got to put your own work in around here. 
You see I don’t ask for much from a post but if one member contradicts another board member with “lie” he or she needs to show receipts.

underw0rld you are from Arizona? What more would you like us to know? Would you like to retract your statement or explain it?

Or do you want it to float here like a “Baby Ruth” in the punch bowl of joy that is the OA threads?

On 8/29/2022 at 9:18 PM, grapeape said:

I love the fact that Matches gave you an 👍 to saying his story is a lie. That’s a guy that’s not backing down. You have me twisted homie. You got to put your own work in around here. 
You see I don’t ask for much from a post but if one member contradicts another board member with “lie” he or she needs to show receipts.

underw0rld you are from Arizona? What more would you like us to know? Would you like to retract your statement or explain it?

Or do you want it to float here like a “Baby Ruth” in the punch bowl of joy that is the OA threads?

He paid $1200 cash for that piece

On 8/31/2022 at 11:40 AM, Phill the Governor said:

Since 2011 Ive been trying to assemble all the interior pages to The Walking Dead #48. In just a few years I was able to pick up a a handful of pages, and by 2013 already had the two biggest pages on hold with two different collectors, paying time payments on each piece. I was about half way through paying off each piece and another page appeared being shopped around by a different collector. While knowing there may not be another chance to get it, putting a third page on hold seemed impractical. At the same time, the seller didn't really seem to care that I was trying to assemble the issue and was just looking for the person who would make the highest offer - something that didn't help.

Well, as luck would have it, there was this guy who got into collecting TWD just before this and we had a good (but limited) relationship here on the boards and on CAF talking about the series. This guy dropped 6 figures into a complete 9.8 CGC TWD set and tons and tons of original art. He could have just bought the page for himself--- but to my surprise he sent me a message asking if I had seen the page from issue 48 for sale and if I intended to get it. I told him about the two pages already on layaway, and that it was beyond my means to get the third page. To my astonishment, this other TWD collector (who I had and have never met in person) replied back saying "Phill, you're putting together the issue- you need to get that page. If money is an issue I will send you $1000 on paypal right now so you can put down a deposit on the page. Pay me back whenever you can". I remember briefly thinking, what his angle? I mean, no one just sends $$ to someone they've never met before and says pay me back whenever lol . Well..... that's just what he did. Guy sent me $1000 that day and I paid him back in full about 6 months later.

And so because of the generosity of this other person I was able to buy and have had that third page framed on my wall ever since. Whenever I look at it, I still get a subtle reminder that I have no right to own it and it's all thanks to that guy. I can say, not sure I'd just send a grand to someone else like that anticipating to get paid back.

For the story: these are the two pages I had on hold already: one & two and this is the third page, which should not be in my collection: here

Wonderful story.  If there was heartwarming OCA transaction thread  it would be perfect there - of course it would also be the only posting.

Edited by MAR1979

On 8/31/2022 at 6:42 AM, underw0rld said:

You STILL paid CASH for the piece. There was no trade. Your little story was a 100% lie.

Maybe it's me, but whether the actual consideration was cash or a trade involving an old crossbow wasn't really the key part of the story.

On 8/31/2022 at 4:40 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Since 2011 Ive been trying to assemble all the interior pages to The Walking Dead #48. In just a few years I was able to pick up a handful of pages and by 2013 already had the two biggest pages on hold with two different collectors, paying time payments on each piece. I was about half way through paying off each piece and another page appeared being shopped around by a different collector. While knowing there may not be another chance to get it, putting a third page on hold seemed impractical. At the same time, the seller didn't really seem to care that I was trying to assemble the issue and was just looking for the person who would make the highest offer - something that didn't help.

Well, as luck would have it, there was this guy who got into collecting TWD just before this and we had a good (but limited) relationship here on the boards and on CAF talking about the series. This guy dropped 6 figures into a complete 9.8 CGC TWD set and tons and tons of original art. He could have just bought the page for himself--- but to my surprise he sent me a message asking if I had seen the page from issue 48 for sale and if I intended to get it. I told him about the two pages already on layaway, and that it was beyond my means to get the third page. To my astonishment, this other TWD collector (who I had and have never met in person) replied back saying "Phill, you're putting together the issue- you need to get that page. If money is an issue I will send you $1000 on paypal right now so you can put down a deposit on the page. Pay me back whenever you can". I remember briefly thinking, what his angle? I mean, no one just sends $$ to someone they've never met before and says pay me back whenever lol . Well..... that's just what he did. Guy sent me $1000 that day and I paid him back in full about 6 months later.

And so because of the generosity of this other person I was able to buy and have had that third page framed on my wall ever since. Whenever I look at it, I still get a subtle reminder that I have no right to own it and it's all thanks to that guy. I can say, not sure I'd just send a grand to someone else like that anticipating to get paid back.

For the story: these are the two pages I had on hold already: one & two and this is the third page, which should not be in my collection: here

:golfclap:

I believe the same person sent me a stack of blanks as I was doing a TWD sketch giveaway on the modern boards. There are some really nice boardies out there, I have been helped out so many times with people either buying or holding art for me where the seller doesn't ship outside of the USA. I don't have any crazy transaction stories myself beyond the usual convention stuff, which is a long long long list of being inconvenienced.