• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NJ Art Con August 28th
3 3

230 posts in this topic

On 8/20/2022 at 2:54 PM, Mickey7 said:

I'd love to attend one of these, but I can't quite justify a trip from Illinois to New Jersey for a short Sunday show. Maybe some day I can swing it.  If they ever had a show somewhere in the Midwest, I'd be all in.

There was a mini show last week in Columbus 

On 8/20/2022 at 8:18 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Secaucus is lovely this time of year. You would be surrounded by a marsh called the Meadowlands, that was created when settlers first ground down the hills into gravel mines, and cut down the native cedars. Then, later generations filled in the holes with piles of garbage. On some of the covered up garbage piles, now grassy hills, there are waste gas collectors which gather up the methanol and recycle it as fuel. Throw in a giant sized shopping mall, with an indoor ski slope, that is slowly headed into bankruptcy, along with a town having lots of outlet stores, and a tourist has everything they could want. Now you know why we legalized pot.

The area is poor and the hotel is very bad. I wish Veteri would hold this in a better location, at the very least to allow for the possibility of a fun weekend trip with the wife.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, KirbyCollector said:

The area is poor and the hotel is very bad. I wish Veteri would hold this in a better location, at the very least to allow for the possibility of a fun weekend trip with the wife.

It’s 10 minutes from Manhattan. Stay in the city with the wife and come to the show for 5 hours 

On 8/21/2022 at 1:10 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

It’s 10 minutes from Manhattan. Stay in the city with the wife and come to the show for 5 hours 

Or, save a lot of money and find a closer Holiday Inn/Sheriton/Hilton/Motel 6. Personally, I can’t stand driving to and from the City, and I would not take mass transit.

On 8/20/2022 at 9:24 PM, cstojano said:

Dad joke trigger warning....

As they say: You can smell caucus before you can Secaucus

Secaucus used to be known as the Pig capital of New Jersey because of all the pig farms it had (providing pork for NYC, et al.).

On 8/20/2022 at 7:06 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

There was a mini show last week in Columbus 

Hmmm, I wasn't aware of this.  I assume it was a one-off show, or would there be more?  I'll look for some info about it online.  Thanks!

On 8/21/2022 at 1:10 AM, Unstoppablejayd said:

I worked in the city for 8 years during Bloomberg's time... it was a cleaner and much safer place then it is now... I was there when they put in the High Line Park, while Chelsea Market was booming, Bryant Park was a gorgeous spot to eat b/c it was no longer a drug addict's paradise, I loved it. in eight years I never saw a single street crime! I used to tell all my relatives to come up for the day, walk the streets at any hour, go anywhere they liked, etc. Now? Friends and relatives still there tell me it is different, and not in a good way. Guys punching tourists right in the face in the open street. Random knifings on the subway. Increased trash, homeless and high people in public. Gun shots heard in the center of the city. This is what keeps me from returning with my wife.

On 8/20/2022 at 8:55 PM, KirbyCollector said:

Secaucus's favorite son candidate from the 1950's and 1960's. Really.

NJPigFarner.thumb.jpg.7e06116c4f3f8251af33d62d5a0bdd84.jpg

On 8/21/2022 at 1:29 PM, KirbyCollector said:

I worked in the city for 8 years during Bloomberg's time... it was a cleaner and much safer place then it is now... I was there when they put in the High Line Park, while Chelsea Market was booming, Bryant Park was a gorgeous spot to eat b/c it was no longer a drug addict's paradise, I loved it. in eight years I never saw a single street crime! I used to tell all my relatives to come up for the day, walk the streets at any hour, go anywhere they liked, etc. Now? Friends and relatives still there tell me it is different, and not in a good way. Guys punching tourists right in the face in the open street. Random knifings on the subway. Increased trash, homeless and high people in public. Gun shots heard in the center of the city. This is what keeps me from returning with my wife.

Yea- it is a mess now a-days but still a tourist draw as you said Joe should have it somewhere that was more of a draw I pointedout NYC as I am not familiar with where you are from. He had it a few times further west in NJ and everyone complained it was too far from the city… so I don’t think he can win with everyone lol. 

On 8/21/2022 at 5:36 PM, Unstoppablejayd said:

Yea- it is a mess now a-days but still a tourist draw as you said Joe should have it somewhere that was more of a draw I pointedout NYC as I am not familiar with where you are from. He had it a few times further west in NJ and everyone complained it was too far from the city… so I don’t think he can win with everyone lol. 

Regardless of location (although I would strongly favour a Manhattan venue), I would attend if it were expanded to a two-day show.

with all of the hassles at airports (flight cancellations, delays, arriving 2-3 hrs before flight departure), it’s simply not worth the hassle to fly down for a one day show

On 8/21/2022 at 10:10 AM, Mickey7 said:

Ok, I found the write up about the Ohio meet up on CAF.  Somehow I missed the announcement.  Sounds like it could happen again next August, so I hope to attend that.

Where was the announcement for this? I'm a Premium Member, and I didn't see any email alert.

On 8/21/2022 at 10:05 PM, lb jefferies said:

Do you get the emails? Ive seen the notifications for this event maybe a dozen times.

I get the daily keyword search alerts, the for sale alerts, and the CAF Live virtual show emails twice a year, but nothing about this. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

On 8/21/2022 at 10:23 PM, BCarter27 said:

I get the daily keyword search alerts, the for sale alerts, and the CAF Live virtual show emails twice a year, but nothing about this. I wonder if there is a setting somewhere that I'm missing?

The CAF sign up is here, check off the box for weekly updates, Bill mentioned this show for months in that email because it was his creation. He also mentioned it on every YouTube show of his I caught over the past two months. FYI he plans to do it again next year at the same location.