• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NJ Art Con August 28th
3 3

230 posts in this topic

On 8/28/2022 at 9:45 PM, GreatEscape said:

Dropped by the NJ ArtCon today for a couple hours, enjoyed seeing friends, dealer walls and some amazing private pieces.  Focusing exclusively on original art makes for a unique experience for collectors.  Here's a quick walkthrough video fo those unable to attend:

Video Link:  NJ Comic Art Con 2022

DD396D21-CC60-47BA-9875-1D38CA30565E.thumb.jpeg.7bfff84a83bb4af0ba5257676f4c5fc1.jpeg

Wasn’t able to make it there today, thanks for sharing the video.

On 8/28/2022 at 9:45 PM, GreatEscape said:

Dropped by the NJ ArtCon today for a couple hours, enjoyed seeing friends, dealer walls and some amazing private pieces.  Focusing exclusively on original art makes for a unique experience for collectors.  Here's a quick walkthrough video fo those unable to attend:

Video Link:  NJ Comic Art Con 2022

DD396D21-CC60-47BA-9875-1D38CA30565E.thumb.jpeg.7bfff84a83bb4af0ba5257676f4c5fc1.jpeg

Nice video. Two dealers you missed were Rose and Brad Savage.

Went again to the show, had a very good time as usual. Was able to pick up a few nice pieces. Seemed like the most attended show I’ve ever seen, definitely the most dealers. 

I brought a friend along who had never bought art before, he acquired his first 5 pages by the end of the day lol. 

4189C3CB-8C90-4F2E-9799-679ECD9C06C8.jpeg

0BDE4A6C-50E0-4FE9-94F0-A8A215F989CC.jpeg

5173EDA8-CBBA-4CE0-A9A2-B25983136FFB.jpeg

On 8/29/2022 at 2:36 AM, zhamlau said:

Went again to the show, had a very good time as usual. Was able to pick up a few nice pieces. Seemed like the most attended show I’ve ever seen, definitely the most dealers. 

I brought a friend along who had never bought art before, he acquired his first 5 pages by the end of the day lol. 

Poor Rich. All those potential buyers and no one lining up at his table. Although, some of his pieces weren’t badly priced. 

Just for those not there, the video and the pics were not taken at peak hours... the whole room was actually pretty crowded... it's a shoe-in they will do this next spring.

Btw spoke to Doug about an auction watching feature on CLink. He said hundreds have asked, CLink could easily do it, but adding it doesn't fit their business model or is supported by their data. In short, they find most auctions are won by proxy (already placed), not last minute, bids. They want more of these, not less -- so no watch feature. He also did not like the idea of a text alerting you to an auction end... again, CLink likes/wants more proxy bidding when the auction starts.

Edited by KirbyCollector

On 8/29/2022 at 7:34 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Just for those not there, the video and the pics were not taken at peak hours... the whole room was actually pretty crowded... it's a shoe-in they will do this next spring.

Btw spoke to Doug about an auction watching feature on CLink. He said hundreds have asked, CLink could easily do it, but adding it doesn't fit their business model or is supported by their data. In short, they find most auctions are won by proxy (already placed), not last minute, bids. They want more of these, not less -- so no watch feature. He also did not like the idea of a text alerting you to an auction end... again, CLink likes/wants more proxy bidding when the auction starts.

Yes, I’ve had a discussion about those very topics you’ve mentioned (and more!) with Doug nearly 10 years ago.  Given his responses and archaic rationale, I stopped consigning items to them and went all-in with HA.

I’ve been very happy with my decision 👍🏻

Mystery question... who were the three foreign individuals (attractive 30ish brunette female with 2 men in Euro style clothes) buying art? I overheard Bechara telling someone they were  "the Italians" who bought over $100K in art from him at SDCC and were buying more yesterday... she was in charge and they seemed to be very active with all the dealers.

Edited by KirbyCollector

I see plenty of bids being placed at the last minute if not seconds before a ComicLink auction is about to close.  I have learned on auction nights to have one screen open for comiclink and another screen open on my computer for a movie or TV with an alarm in the background to alert me as certain books and pieces are ending as I watch both throughout the entire night.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:49 AM, Buzzetta said:

I see plenty of bids being placed at the last minute if not seconds before a ComicLink auction is about to close.  I have learned on auction nights to have one screen open for comiclink and another screen open on my computer for a movie or TV with an alarm in the background to alert me as certain books and pieces are ending as I watch both throughout the entire night.

My experience as well. Tons of activity in the last minutes of the auction.

My observation, and I may be wrong...

I've been attending since 2017.

Not only was this event well attended, the space was larger than the original (2017-2019) venue.

On 8/29/2022 at 8:16 AM, KirbyCollector said:

Mystery question... who were the three foreign individuals (attractive 30ish brunette female with 2 men in Euro style clothes) buying art? I overheard Bechara telling someone they were  "the Italians" who bought over $100K in art from him at SDCC and were buying more yesterday... she was in charge and they seemed to be very active with all the dealers.

I noticed them and they weren't speaking Italian. At one point she was behind the table taking some photos of some expensive pieces hanging and speaking to one of the men with her (who remained on the other side of the booth).. Language definitely not Italian.

On 8/29/2022 at 2:36 AM, zhamlau said:

It was good seeing you and thinks for the piece! 

On 8/29/2022 at 9:17 AM, Stefanomjr said:

My observation, and I may be wrong...

I've been attending since 2017.

Not only was this event well attended, the space was larger than the original (2017-2019) venue.

Very well attended.. new dealers new buyers… lots of side deals in binders… good time overall. I barely looked at the dealers tables to be honest 

On 8/29/2022 at 9:20 AM, Stefanomjr said:

I noticed them and they weren't speaking Italian. At one point she was behind the table taking some photos of some expensive pieces hanging and speaking to one of the men with her (who remained on the other side of the booth).. Language definitely not Italian.

They were speaking Pig Italian.