• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is it possible to get a grade corrected/adjusted while keeping the cert number?
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I've got a weird one. I submitted 4 cards from the same pack of Japanese Team Rocket. The pack included a dark jolteon, vaporeon, & flareon (as well as a dark alakazam for the holo). All 4 cards are clearly O/C, and 3 of them received the O/C qualifier from CGC. I am wondering if anyone knows if it would be possible to get the Flareon grade corrected to be a 9 O/C, but keep the cert so the 3 cards would remain consecutive certs. I know it's nothing crazy, but I believe that would be the only consecutive cert set of 9 O/C's in the world so I think it would be a cool piece for the collection. In my opinion, I think the Flareon also qualified as O/C, otherwise there is no way it would have graded a 9 with how bad the centering is, right? 

I've attached pictures of the cards as well. 

Any thoughts or help is much appreciated. 

CGC pic 3.jpg

CGC pic 2.jpg

CGC pic 1.jpg

@CGC Mike Thank you for your input. With that being said, if in fact the card does not qualify for O/C, how would it grade a 9? That centering grade has to be below an 8, making an overall grade of 9 unachievable based on CGC's grading standards, correct? 

On 8/22/2022 at 4:08 PM, ZWT said:

@CGC Mike Thank you for your input. With that being said, if in fact the card does not qualify for O/C, how would it grade a 9? That centering grade has to be below an 8, making an overall grade of 9 unachievable based on CGC's grading standards, correct? 

The lowest Subgrade centering can get before being considered O/C is an 8. So would seem the Flareon would have been an 8 on centering, being the lowest grade the assign something not designated O/C then the other subgrades were high enough to keep it at a 9 overall.

@sellerservicescorp @CGC Mike Thank you for the input as well, but I guess I still find it hard to believe by CGC standards that card has average centering: 

CGC 8: "A well-preserved card with at least average centering and small-to-moderate handling defects." 

I appreciate your all's time and input.

Thanks!

• Administrator
On 8/22/2022 at 5:08 PM, ZWT said:

For the purposes of grade calculation, O/C is equivalent to 8.5. The centering on the Flareon could be 8 or 8.5 and still grade a 9.