• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top 5 copies of Action #1???

50 posts in this topic

A few older sales:

"Institutional collection", Sotheby's 1996, VF 84, slight rest. by Susan Cicconi

Sotheby's 1997, VF-, slight rest. by SC.

Sotheby's 1991, VF

Sotheby's 1993, VF 80

I dont think we can include restored books on this list Until some future date when they may be accepted fully, restored books "dont belong" in a top five list.

Wheres all the info on the key Pedigreed collections copies? Allentown, Larsen, Windy City, Pennsyvania, Kansas City, JGreen etc? Does anybody know?

I dont think we can include restored books on this list Until some future date when they may be accepted fully, restored books "dont belong" in a top five list.
Well if the rumor is correct, you'll have to take the Mile High off your current list then. Unless you're including restored books that were already high grade prior to the restoration.

I think Aside from the Mile High, the other really nice copies of Action #1 are going to be from non-pedigree collections. The Larson is very nice, probably at least an 8.5, but it does have some slight foxing.

I don't believe there is an Allentown or Kansas City copy, but I think there are at least two other 8.5-9.0 unrestored non-pedigree copies out there (all depends on how CGC feels the day they see them).

Fishler would probably be best to answer this question though, he's seen more Action #1s than anyone.

Well if the rumor is correct, you'll have to take the Mile High off your current list then

Say what?? The MH Action #1 is the holy grail of comics and Ive never heard anyone say it had had work done on it...Are you sure you dont mean the MH Superman #1? That definitely had a small amount of work As well as a few more of the MH Golden keys which had some well-meaning, but potentially disastrous color touch-ups done at one time by a multi-copy owner.

What did you hear was done to the Action?

The MH Superman #1 is the blue-label copy that is an 8.0 in the census now.

The MH Action #1 was owned by the same guy who owned the MH More Fun #52 and several other MH keys that have some light color touch on the cover. But since 1) they don't put notes on the labels now and 2) It will most likely not be for sale for another decade - if ever, it really doesn't matter.

Dave and his young teenage son collect comics together, so it's rather likely it won't hit the market for a long, long time. I see he and his son at the Tyson's corner show here in Virginia rather often.

I don't know the guy and feel weird talking about him like I do, but there was a picture of he and his son in one of those "Scoop" articles where it talked about how he and his son collect. And I happened to notice them both a few times at that show in my area.

The guy who owns the Batmobile from the first movie drives it around town still in Pacific Grove CA. It's a cool looking car, but I'd feel somewhat dorky driving it around as it's kinda clunky in person. The 60's one would be pretty cool

Brian

But are you sure the ACtion #1 was one of the books foolishly color-touched? I have always heard it was never touched, and a true 9.2 or 9.4. I can believe that the actual condition may be lower since some of Edgar Church's earliest books were acquired later on in his hobby, and not right off the newsstands like the later dead solid perfect copies....these early ones have different markings than the usual date/number notations.

wow---thats one obscure old thread you remembered. I wonder if it is actually true, or just something he overheard at a show or something that he just repeated. Tracey Hefts answers dont realy betray any first-hand knowledge of it...he just gives an opinion on the foolishness of oding so.

a mystery! I wonder if Dave Anderson is aware of this? Either the rumor, or worse, the colortouch... I guess the book stays on the list with an asterisk for now!

Tracey Hefts answers dont realy betray any first-hand knowledge of it

But he seems to have heard the rumor, also:

"Cracking and crizzling occurs after a period of about 10-15 years, so that Action 1 (which I think was done in the early eighties) is due for more restoration really soon." (emphasis mine).

In any event, until and unless Dave lets us take a black light to his million dollar book, the issue will always be in question. laugh.gif

Al

I just asked Tracy Heft about what he knows regarding the Mile High Action #1 and sent him a link to this thread. If he sends me any info he'll allow me to publicly reveal I'll post it here if he doesn't do it himself.

I've always heard this "rumor" as well, although I don't have any first-hand knowledge of it. However, I do know "bfscomics" and used to buy/sell/trade a lot of golden age books with him and would have no reason to doubt his statement, and from the genre of books he collects, he probably knows more about it than I.

"The MH Action #1 was owned by the same guy who owned the MH More Fun #52 and several other MH keys that have some light color touch on the cover. But since 1) they don't put notes on the labels now and 2) It will most likely not be for sale for another decade - if ever, it really doesn't matter."

PART OF THIS STATMENT IS FALSE. When color touch and/or glue is detected by us, it is ALWAYS noted on the label, even if the label is Universal/blue.