• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

What are the top 5 copies of Action #1???

50 posts in this topic

The back of the slab doesn't explain the thinking behind the decision Steve related above.

I ageree. That is the WHY? I am seeking. The closest answer to the WHY? is "The reason CGC decided to do this is that many of the high-grade pedigree Golden-Age comic books have had very minor work done to them and it was always either accepted or ignored by the buyers and sellers of these comic books. CGC could not come into the market and ignore very minor work because CGC is about full disclosure so, to be fair to both buyer and seller alike, we decided to go with the blue label, a one step down grade, and a notation about the work that was done."

I understand the decision to use a Universal with notation in this situation. But in trying to be "fair" to buyers and sellers of HG pedigree biooks, any book with minor restoration that is not an HG pedigree is seen as somehow "worse". It should not be CGC's place to interpret the market but to simply report the condition of a book, including what restoration it has had.

Now that I have been here for some time and been more exposed to how slabbing can impact the comic market, I think the whole color label thing has no place. Just grade the book, put the notations on, and that is it. The buyer can read the notations and decide for themself the desireability of a particular book without being influenced by the stigma attached to a label color.

The above is just my opinion and is not meant to make me sound like an old fart, even though I am.

I understand the decision to use a Universal with notation in this situation. But in trying to be "fair" to buyers and sellers of HG pedigree biooks, any book with minor restoration that is not an HG pedigree is seen as somehow "worse". It should not be CGC's place to interpret the market but to simply report the condition of a book, including what restoration it has had.
Somebody brought that up in the first thread Steve posted this in; he pointed out that CGC doesn't just give the Universal nod to high-grade pedigrees but to all Golden Age books, regardless of value. I seem to recall somebody posted a link to a scan of a mid-50s lower-value non-key book with the Universal label and a notation of CT and/or glue on the spine, but I can't remember which title or issue it was.

Somebody brought that up in the first thread Steve posted this in; he pointed out that CGC doesn't just give the Universal nod to high-grade pedigrees but to all Golden Age books, regardless of value.

The quote I took was from Steve (re: the HG Pedigree GA) - now I am confuse-ed. Regardless, I am all for one label!

From what I seem to remember there are a few Action 1's in VF/NM or better with no restoration.

I have never heard of the Action 1 Mile High having a slight color touch before...hmm.

I do know for certain that the Mile High Superman 1 (VF/NM) has a slight color touch.

That sold for around $200,000 a few years back or so.

And (or) let's have Arch put Steve's post in a special FAQ thread. We could start one up and point people there if they have questions, since the "Ask CGC" forum seems to have died. (Watch, there will be answers to a hundred questions right after I post this).

Related to the Action #1 restoration rumor, I came across

this quote about the Denver & Church copies of Batman #1

(from All-Star catalogue #3):

"[...] The Denver copies, for the most part are in Mint to Near

Mint condition and in some instances the best copies in

existence. Most of the pedigree copies of Batman #1, for

example the Mile High copy, have had minor touch up

and/or work done. This [Denver] copy has white pages,

exceptional cover gloss, bright cover colors, sharp corners

and a clean tight spine. This book is accompanied by a

certificate of auhenticity stating that the book was cleaned

and flattened, but has had no color touch up, no rice paper

and no pieces replaced".

Well, having recently gotten back an All-Flash #4 with purple label, and the only resto noted being a (very small) drop of glue at staple, I'm confused about this policy. Is there some point at which a drop of glue on a GA book is considered resto, if it's too large, too obvious, or is considered to be actually fixing some defect in the comic?

Is there a way to re-submit the book for the express purpose of having CGC look more closely at this one point of contention?

The drop of glue in question is/was so small I didn't even notice it before submitting, and believe me I scrutinized the comic...

Garthgantu

Thanks for the suggestion...it's crossed my mind, and I'll probably do this. Just seems unfair if in fact such 'restoration' often doesn't result in the purple label in the first place...sigh...