• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1st Marvel Multiverse? JIM 86 splash up at Heritage

9 posts in this topic

Early Marvel canon has been of interest to me lately and I've been reading quite a few early issues from all the main A B & C level characters. I've also been reading through various websites that talk about them. On one website (link below) there was a comment on Journey into Mystery #86 that mentioned it was the first alternate future in the Marvel universe. So if I'm reading correctly it's the introduction of the Marvel Multiverse?

As timing would have it, I just saw the title splash from that story is up at Heritage and ends in a week.  Reading the description, Heritage isn't listing the issue as the beginning of the Multiverse. Well.. to be fair there doesn't seem to be much of a description at all.. (one would think for an early Thor splash they would be trying to list all the attributes about the art they could instead of just a few sentences but maybe I'm wrong.) Anyways.... was it another book that officially introduced the Multiverse concept? Considering Tomorrow Man showed up more than a year before Kang I think it really is JIM #86. Any Marvel experts that can lend an opinion?  If so, any thoughts about this affecting final price or is the fact that it's one of the earliest Thor splashes enough?

This was the site, link here

The splash at HA: link here

On 8/31/2022 at 1:02 PM, Phill the Governor said:

Early Marvel canon has been of interest to me lately and I've been reading quite a few early issues from all the main A B & C level characters. I've also been reading through various websites that talk about them. On one website (link below) there was a comment on Journey into Mystery #86 that mentioned it was the first alternate future in the Marvel universe. So if I'm reading correctly it's the introduction of the Marvel Multiverse?

As timing would have it, I just saw the title splash from that story is up at Heritage and ends in a week.  Reading the description, Heritage isn't listing the issue as the beginning of the Multiverse. Well.. to be fair there doesn't seem to be much of a description at all.. (one would think for an early Thor splash they would be trying to list all the attributes about the art they could instead of just a few sentences but maybe I'm wrong.) Anyways.... was it another book that officially introduced the Multiverse concept? Considering Tomorrow Man showed up more than a year before Kang I think it really is JIM #86. Any Marvel experts that can lend an opinion?  If so, any thoughts about this affecting final price or is the fact that it's one of the earliest Thor splashes enough?

This was the site, link here

The splash at HA: link here

Mjolnir lost all ability for time travel in Thor 282.  Its very sad that I know that,  even more sad than the writer of the first link you provided not knowing it.

Edited by MAR1979